• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Evolution during battle?

I think it'd be cool if they did that, but I think it'd work better in one of the console games, not the handhelds. I dunno why, but I feel like it'd be too complex for the handheld games. Cool idea, just unsure if they'd ever put it into reality.

I am in favor for this, because I get annoyed when a Pokemon doesn't evolve at the level it's normally supposed to. Yeah, I'm weird like that.

they could evolve during battles after leveling up, they can learn moves in battles, then why to block evolution during battle?
It has no resonable sense that they not evolve during battle.

I imagine it has something to do with how the battles are scripted differently from the overworld/post-battle, and moves being learned. With moves, all that happens is a single bit of code referencing the available movepool is changed, and with levels it's simply the stats. With evolution, you'd have to change the code relating to the stats, pokemon typing, abilities, pokemon species, and in some cases, the size of the space on screen dedicated to a pokemon. The last part takes place when a Pokemon switches out, but that code is already accounted for.

What we're asking here is for a script to run similar to Mega Evolution, but with the added convoluted code requiring those changes to remain permanent. Where the overworld and the battle arena are two very different parts of the game, I can see data corruption, glitching, and whatnot happening unless both the battle sequence and the overworld coding are rewritten in a BIG way to accommodate these things. And it's not a simple fix. Forget the sheer amount of hours required to write the initial code, but then you have to test it with every Pokemon, in not only trainer battles, but with scripted event battles and wild Pokemon battles as well. THEN we have all this leftover code in the battle sequence that goes unused in Link battles, and you can be damn sure they're not going to simply retain the current format. No, if they implement this, they're going to make some more changes to how things work.

In no way would they ever put that much work into a simple little thing like in-battle evolution, when the current mechanic works fine enough as it is.

While we're on this topic discussing how "it makes no sense how they can expect a Pokemon to hold off on evolution for so long". We're talking about animals that can MANIFEST water (literally all water types), travel through time (Celebi), throw up then RE-EAT berries (Recycle), and explode only to be ABSOLUTELY FINE after a nurse heals them with her magic microwave.

Also take into consideration that there are two OTHER non-realistic types of evolution they should deal with before they even think about in-battle evolution: The Pokemon that only evolve when they're touched by a rock they like (stone evolution), and the kind of evolution that only takes place after they get put into foster care with some other trainer (trade). THESE methods of evolution make no sense. And if we start with the whole "stones emit a special radiation" theory, let me inform you that when things emit special radiation in the real world, things usually end up dead. They don't suddenly grow a fin out of their ass and start manifesting water from some subspace in their gut (Vaporeon).

So, with this rant coming to a close, while I appreciate everyone with their aspiration for a new game mechanic, and hell, I'm all up for change, please consider how much work would actually have to go into the code, and how your plea for "realism" is actually the least of what needs to be dealt with for this video game to be more real.

I think the big problem would be the HP stat. Even in mega evolution, the Pokemon retains its base hp stat, and only gains increases in its other stats. Most Pokemon get a higher base hp when they evolve, and so I imagine that would cause some kind of problem with this mechanic.

I personally wouldn't want Pokemon to evolve in the middle of battles like they do in the anime. I consider it cheating there, and I'd definitely consider it cheating in the game, so I'd rather they just leave it as is. It makes more sense to me anyway.

To add proof that it is cheating, take a look at Ash's loss at the Unova league

what's cheating here? If mega evo is posibble then normal evo also should be and it is posibble to do and would be good.
This changes would be a great plus for the games if they would be done right.

I personally wouldn't want Pokemon to evolve in the middle of battles like they do in the anime. I consider it cheating there, and I'd definitely consider it cheating in the game, so I'd rather they just leave it as is. It makes more sense to me anyway.

And to say that is cheating, then Mega Evolution is the biggest cheating device officially produced by its very own developer.

And to say that is cheating, then Mega Evolution is the biggest cheating device officially produced by its very own developer.
Which is the entire reason why I refuse to use Mega Evolution in the majority of my playthroughs. (I don't use Legendaries either)

Ash is destined to lose every pokemon league in the stupidest way possible. I swear the writers for the anime hate him!

what's cheating here? If mega evo is posibble then normal evo also should be and it is posibble to do and would be good.
This changes would be a great plus for the games if they would be done right.

The problem is that it's a mechanic problem.

Mega Evolution might be called that, but it's NOT a form of evolution. It's a form of form change.

Evolvution is triggered after the battle ends, where form changes (Including Mega) can happen during battle.

While it would be nice to have a regular evolution take place in the middle of a battle in the games, considering that Mega Evolution is the closest thing we've got to this, and standard evolutions happening in this way has never been the case in the main series games, I don't think it's ever going to be implemented. For one thing, would it necessarily be fair for one of your Pokémon to reach its next form in the middle of a trainer battle, so that you could easily blow your way through the rest of the battle save for Mega Evolution, which is limited entirely to select Pokémon?

It should be allowed in the main game when the player chooses himself to not see the Level bars of pokemon, and not get info of it's level changes that should be a option and would not allow to control the normal evolution.
It would allow to make more level of difficulty( easy, medium, hard) if people could choose that and get something in bonus like regular evolutions during battles.

I heard that in PMD a pokemon would evolve on the spot after KOing a mon in a dungeon, even the wild ones. I'm pretty sure no one's gonna want a wild Magikarp suddenly evolve into a Gyarados during battle.

The only times a mid-battle evolution could likely occur would be as part of the single-player aspect of the games and outside of facilities such as the Battle Tower or Maison, due to the most common causes for evolution - levelling up - being impossible in a mode with strict level caps and no experience points to be gained. Evolution Stones also can't currently be used in battle, so as long as they keep that restriction, that wouldn't be a problem. So the only time we'd likely see it would be while playing through the story or when grinding, where the trainer may want the Pokémon to evolve at their proper level due to moveset purposes.

So in conclusion, I wouldn't object to it happening.

It would be nice if it was done. I see no problems with it.

Though I wouldnt like the game approach the anime so much, i think both are two very different universes.

I don't see why not. If Mega Evolution can occur, why not actual evolution?

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom