• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Fanservice in the Pokemon Anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dual

Reaction score
I did a search, but couldn't find anything, so I'm guessing if there is a thread like this, it's dead already.

Anyways, does it seem like they're going a little overboard with the fan service in the anime?

I mean, personal opinions on Pokemopolis aside, you have to admit, they make a valid point about Haruka's body. She is way to developed for a 10 year old.

Now, before D/P got underway, I thought they might have decided to do away with it with the introduction of Hikari, since she looks much closer to what I would imagine a 10 year old to look like, but then they started dressing her up in all these fetish costumes like a maid and a cheerleader

I realize that all anime tend to have atleast a little bit of fan service, but this is supposed to be a kid's show for crying out loud. At the least, they could limit themselves to female characters who aren't 10 years old.

I'd like to see some more male fanservice, myself.

Or rather, let me restate that. Males that AREN'T ASH. Because damn, yo.

And Meowth's daydreams about scantily-clad Giovanni aren't it either, since those are...well...totally out of character.

Or rather, let me restate that. Males that AREN'T ASH. Because damn, yo.

Boo :'(

Though, I agree that male fanservice has been neglected. It's ALWAYS about the girls. It's like they WANT me to turn lesbo.

They don't go overboard with it, though. It just lacks some hawt male action.

Ash does seem to get more fanservice than the other male characters, though. ^^;

The only thing that's ever come close to being "fanservice-y" in the anime is Kanna (Lorelei/Prima) and maybe Uchikido-Hakase (Professor Ivy).

Actually, I did ^^;;

Still...people act like Diamond & Pearl is filled with all this shameless fanservice when that's just not true.

Still...people act like Diamond & Pearl is filled with all this shameless fanservice when that's just not true.

Have you seen some of the screencaps people have been taking of Dawn? :p

In any case, why did the writers have Dawn dress up like this then:

119820743081.jpg

You don't call this the writers going overboard with fanservice?

Plus we had the Naked Burmy Fanservice...

We get Ash in an equally ridiculous maid getup as well. However, given his former popularity I'm surprised that the Brock fanservice has declined to zero. Ten year olds - in the case of Dawn, even those who look their age! - get more than him. Freakin weird. Not that I'm complaining...well, actually I am because I don't get the "Loli is more exciting!" thing and so don't care for it, but meh.

Last edited:
Have you seen some of the screencaps people have been taking of Dawn? :p

In any case, why did the writers have Dawn dress up like this then:

119820743081.jpg

You don't call this the writers going overboard with fanservice?

That is definately going overboard with the fanservice.

And mind you, we've only gone through two gyms so far. D/P isn't even close to being finished, but they've already gone through both a maid and a cheerleader. Who knows what they'll make her cosplay as next?

And mind you, we've only gone through two gyms so far. D/P isn't even close to being finished, but they've already gone through both a maid and a cheerleader. Who knows what they'll make her cosplay as next?

I still don't see what the problem is. Dawn is a girl the writers are having a lot of fun with, they can dress her up in a number of outfits and get away with it mostly because of the dress-up during Contests.

There's been fanservice in the anime since Season 1, so I have no idea why some people are acting like this is the first time this kind of stuff is being shown in the anime.

Was that swimsuit/bikini/whatever it was satisfying to everyone?

You know, Misty had something that May didn't. And I dunno what it was. Older women should be fanserviced a lot, not these little kiddies.

Misty is only 10 years old, she says so in the Japanese version of episode 3. And given that, she looks more like a 10 year old than the other two.

Her sisters look like they're in their late teens. She at least could've been a little older by now...

I still don't see what the problem is. Dawn is a girl the writers are having a lot of fun with, they can dress her up in a number of outfits and get away with it mostly because of the dress-up during Contests.
Yes, but her contest outfit is simply a dress. That's fine. But come on, are you honestly telling me you don't see something suspicious about having a 10 year old dress up as a chearleader and a French maid?

There's been fanservice in the anime since Season 1, so I have no idea why some people are acting like this is the first time this kind of stuff is being shown in the anime.
But it wasn't so completely blatant back then. I mean, yes there was the occasional bit here and there, like the bikini contest and such, but that's to be expected in any anime, and for the most part, it was kept to a minimum.

But then they brought in May, a 10 year old with a bust size comparable to that of any 15 year old. And not only that, they would have her strike poses that would accentuate said bust, and lets not forget the infamous beach strip down scene that even had her little brother freaking out.

And now that they've replaced May with a girl who's body type is more akin to that of a 10 year olds, (Albeit, admittedly, less than Misty's.) they continue to dress her (Dawn) up in fetish outfits, and even have her being the first female traveling companion to wear a skirt, and an extremely short one at that.

Yeah, I get what you're saying but that's just the way things are. I also suspect it has to do with the show being divided up between shonen and shoujo now.

Misty's character fit in a more shonen anime, while May and Dawn represent the more shoujo aspect of it. They've both very girly and this is the stuff you see in other shoujo anime. Contests are also all about showing off your attacks and battling using stylish moves, so it makes sense that both girls who do them reflect that.

Either that or the writers want to keep male interest in the show, so each girl who has been brought in post-Misty has to bring that appeal.

Dual said:
But then they brought in May, a 10 year old with a bust size comparable to that of any 15 year old. And not only that, they would have her strike poses that would accentuate said bust, and lets not forget the infamous beach strip down scene that even had her little brother freaking out.

Yeah, that bit really hurt me. I mean, WTF? Why is she more developed than Misty and Dawn??

I'm so happy I don't deal with contests in the games. Total waste of time. It's battling all the way.

You know what they should do with the future generation games? Let the trainer choose a path. Not just badges to lead to the Elite Four and Champion Hottie/Belly Dancer Cynthia. But, do the contest route, and end up at a Grand Festival in Hearthome.

why is the fanservice such a big deal? It's not like it's inappropriate or anything. It's just a maid's costume, and frankly, Dawn looks adorable in it. (Ash looks cuter in his though.)

I mean, not one of those 10-year-olds that the show is marketed at are going to complain, no, not even about Ash. (They'll probably laugh at the fact that Ash is dressed up as a maid.)

It's not hurting anyone, so why does it matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom