• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Fansites served with copyright infringement notices: PokéBeach, Serebii targeted, mor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Fansites served with copyright infringement notices: PokéBeach, Serebii targeted,

This second, non-law-supported, social mechanism through which the fanbase can influence legal decision is not often brought up as a valid argument. Yet no doubt it has been observed that when the fanbase is pushed beyond a certain limit it WILL backfire at them and reverse any legal decisions.

I think the Basquash idol team Eclipse put it best: "After all, the fans are the gods!"

Re: Fansites served with copyright infringement notices: PokéBeach, Serebii targeted,

Quote:
(07:27:32) Serebii Joe: melkor's removed the images
(07:27:41) Serebii Joe: think we've found our reasoning

And everyone learned a very important lesson about leaks.

Maybe Nintendo had some publicity schedule drawn up, and the leaks ruined their plans?

From that point of view I can see how the C&D could be just a way to stall for time.

I'm sure any publicity that NoA was planning for the American release was ruined by the Japanese versions being released six months earlier and the existence of the internet.

Wait, wait, about this whole ROM business.
Isn't it legal to own a backup copy (as in, a ROM) of a game you own physically? I'm sure that I've read something like this a long time ago, but I'm not sure where.

So, basically - as long as Serebii or WPM own copies of the games (and I believe they do, at least according to some of their news - I think), there shouldn't be any problem in using ROMs to take screenshots, because I believe there's no way to prove that they downloaded these ROMs off the Internet, as they could have simply made backup copies instead.

As for the rest of this matter, well, I believe I've lost hope in humanity once again. Way to go, Nintendo.

And everyone learned a very important lesson about leaks.

So hold on a second. What about Melkor again? All I know is that he was the original one that leaked stuff out. What were the circumstances behind removing the images? Because I have no idea what this whole Melkor subplot is all about. Forgive my ignorance, please.

Isn't it legal to own a backup copy (as in, a ROM) of a game you own physically? I'm sure that I've read something like this a long time ago, but I'm not sure where.

Nope, it's not. Pretty much, owning any version of the game that isn't an official copy is illegal. That includes backup and archive copies.

So, basically - as long as Serebii or WPM own copies of the games (and I believe they do, at least according to some of their news - I think), there shouldn't be any problem in using ROMs to take screenshots, because I believe there's no way to prove that they downloaded these ROMs off the Internet, as they could have simply made backup copies instead.

As for the rest of this matter, well, I believe I've lost hope in humanity once again. Way to go, Nintendo.

But not everyone is using them as back up copies. I know people who got ROMs of HG and SS and played using R4s. Going after ROM users makes sense.

EDIT: Apparently ROM's are illegal if you own the game or not.

Nope, it's not. Pretty much, owning any version of the game that isn't an official copy is illegal. That includes backup and archive copies.

Unless you back it up your self.. pretty sure I read that on Nintendos own anti-piracy site.
Getting it from the internet is illegal however.. (And giving it out to anyone of course).

No, that's just what people tell themselves and become accepted as "truth"

Just read the back of any game manual, it will tell you the opposite.

Unless you back it up your self.. pretty sure I read that on Nintendos own anti-piracy site.
Getting it from the internet is illegal however..
Read the opposite in old game manuals, they explicitly state that archival copies are not permitted.

No, its illegl, otherwise you wouldn't be forced to give Nintendo more of your hard earned cash for a new game if you lost or broke the original, for example.

Getting it from the internet is illegal however..

Hmm, apparently there is a backup-archival copy exception, but only for copies that you make for yourself for insurance against destruction. See here: http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp#download_rom

But I'm pretty sure that dumping the ROM isn't exactly creating a backup copy.

Read the opposite in old game manuals, they explicitly state that archival copies are not permitted.

Exactly what I wanted to say, but I went to check for new information. It actually says it on the back of a Super Mario Sunshine disc's case.

ROM's are illegal. Period.

Hmm, apparently there is a backup-archival copy exception, but only for copies that you make for yourself for insurance against destruction.

But I'm pretty sure that dumping the ROM isn't exactly creating a backup copy.

Well isn't the contents of the cart a rom? So really it kind of is a backup.

Well isn't the contents of the cart a rom? So really it kind of is a backup.

The difference between a ROM and the cart itself is that the ROM can be freely copied. You are not allowed to have soft copies, period.

Now let's move this discussion elsewhere in the interest of avoiding infractions.

I really hate using ROMS altogether. Not only is it a pain to set up and get it to get the best fps/graphics as possible, but it completely prevents someone from going out and buying the actual game. That was the case for me when I used [insert 64 emulator here]. I've always wanted to play [certain 64 game here] so I decided to get the rom. Little did I know that it would end up completing that game and not being very obligated to buy the game at all.

ROMs USED TO follow an allowed-1-backup-if-you-have-the-game law. However, with the introduction of the DMCA, that law is trumped if the product has a digital lock. The nintendo DS is AES-encrypted, constituting a lock. Therefor you are not even allowed to make one backup copy until both the games and the official platforms that support them are discontinued from production. As the Nintendo 3DS will offer backward DS compatibility it's unlikely that one backup will be allowed for another 6-7 years, however long nintendo chooses to manufacture their new console for.

I really hate using ROMS altogether. Not only is it a pain to set up and get it to get the best fps/graphics as possible, but it completely prevents someone from going out and buying the actual game. That was the case for me when I used [insert 64 emulator here]. I've always wanted to play [certain 64 game here] so I decided to get the rom. Little did I know that it would end up completing that game and not being very obligated to buy the game at all.
Ummm, no, that was you who chose not to buy the game. The ROM didn't tie you up and hold you hostage.

this problem is not about ROM's. Let's stop talking about them please.

Maybe Nintendo had some publicity schedule drawn up, and the leaks ruined their plans?

Then shouldn't the people who did the leaking be the ones punished?

Well I'm sure I read what I read somewhere on there... except I can't find it now, so I either imagined it, misremembered, or they changed it.

Edit: and yes, lets move on.

Then shouldn't the people who did the leaking be the ones punished?

I agree with Rainbow Moondust. This problem started because of Melkor's lack of morals and horrible work ethics.

and WPM's Victinigate wasn't much help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom