• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Filler percentages, saga by saga

Just rereading the list and some of the most memorable and funny episodes were filles. Where no Togepi has gone before, the Rotom ep, Ghost of Maiden's Peak, Claydoll Big and Tall and Love, Totodile Style come to mind...

Just rereading the list and some of the most memorable and funny episodes were filles. Where no Togepi has gone before, the Rotom ep, Ghost of Maiden's Peak, Claydoll Big and Tall and Love, Totodile Style come to mind...

Don't forget the The Wayward Wobbuffet. But yeah almost every episode that's in my favorites would be classified as filler so I don't mind how much there is since it's so unpredictable that you don't know what filler the writers might come up with.

I'm torn into thing the episode Tanks For The Memories is really a filler or not. Isn't it the episode where Dawn gets rid of her conest depression? My momory may be off a bit though. It could swing either way.

A double Dilemma was Gym Leader related, so I felt like it should be on there. I actually mainly have "Your a Star Larvitar" off the list because that episode had Ash training Larvitar and Cyndaquil. Its been a while since I saw Address Unown, so maybe I'm forgetting its importance though...
...I actually forgot that he trained his pokemon in that episode. Well, maybe "Address Unown"'s importance is subjective too since I've seen people call it a filler despite Larvitar taking a giant step in character development(it also reveals Larvitar's traumatic past as an egg)

And I believe "Tanks for Memories" just showed how close Dawn was to having a break down. She tried to get back into the swing of things but couldn't. It was more of a Brock centric-ep but still filler, even if it's memorable for the maid outfits xD

I'm torn into thing the episode Tanks For The Memories is really a filler or not. Isn't it the episode where Dawn gets rid of her conest depression? My momory may be off a bit though. It could swing either way.

That was actually the episode after her second performance failure... it's exactly when ther depression START
Also, Brock's Happiny learns Secret Power in this ep, so it can't be a "filler"

That was actually the episode after her second performance failure... it's exactly when ther depression START

Huh. I forgot about that. All I remember is the maid outfits.

But there was absolutely no build up to it. Psyduck was of no importance to that episode.

I think the episode "Odd Pokémon Out" shoudn't be called a filler since Sceptile evolves in that episode.

Last edited:
Some eps would have been fillers if the writers didn't stick a last-minute capture or evo at the end of the episode.

The Paras episode introduced Lizardo's disobedience, which was a pretty important plot point. Not filler.

I'd also say, "The Bicker, the better," wasn't a filler. Aside from the fact that it was quite possibly AG's best episode, it has what I believe Ash/May's first tag battle as well as TR's first tag match in quite some time.

"Date Expectations," wasn't a filler either, as it has May miss the boat to the GF for character development reasons with Max, and Ash remembers Phanpy in the episode foreshadowing its return.

Um...and you get to see Ash in a maid uniform >_>

Anyhow, excellent list! I think that Johto was a testament for the true fans, and those who survived passed (jk)!

The problem with skipping the fillers is, however, you don't get some of the cultural aspects of the fandom (unless you want to stay far away I don't blame ya XD). Certain lulzy scenes only happened in filler episodes and it's nice to watch at least some of them.

A large chunk of fillers are much better than so-called, "important" eps.

This is why I say most eps should be watched at least once, because if you skip an ep thinking its pointless, you might be skipping a great filler ep that you would have otherwise not known about.

I know what you mean. As a kid, I always enjoyed the TR-centric episodes more than anything in the world. I thought gyms were pointless and boring. Hoenn changed a lot of that though, with the introduction of contests and interesting rivals. DP changed it as well by adding more interesting battle sequences (for me, at least).

that was the episode where it was established she was depressed, but if I recall, it continued on into the next episode too, and that one also had the introduction of Dawn's old childhood friend, which gave us some background on her, so I was thinking that the Swinub episode covered it well enough that the Miltank episode would be a little redundant in regards to the depression thing.

(it also reveals Larvitar's traumatic past as an egg)

Hmmmm. Maybe I should include it then...

ok, thanks for the info. I totally forgot about that. Not that Brock learning a new move affects much lol (poor Brock..:( )

Hypno's Naptime isn't filler since Misty caught Psyduck in that episode.

ARG! thanks. Totally forgot about that too.

I think the episode "Odd Pokémon Out" shoudn't be called a filler since Sceptile evolves in that episode.

Wait, I thought he evolved in "Cutting the Ties that Bind"?? Guess that shows my memory.

The Paras episode introduced Lizardo's disobedience, which was a pretty important plot point. Not filler

good point.

Yeah, there are many episodes in all the sagas that *would* have been filler if not for one little thing happening in them of signifigance. Seemed like Hoenn had a bunch of them. DP does too, the best examples being that maze episode (Hikari gets the coin toss app, and Shinji appears) the cherubi episode (the twerps get the package with their winter clothes at the end of the episode) and that Snover episode (Rock Climb is learned). Still I'd much rather have episodes like that, than pure fillers. Its nice if *something* develops in every episode, even if most of it is spent on a character/pokemon of the day.

yeah, I wouldn't call that one filler, since its basicly like Dawn's equivalent of "Charizard Chills". She gets Mamoswine to finally start listening more in that episode.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom