• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Fixing up the Water type?

Zekurom

is obsessed with Noivern!
Reaction score
Apparently, there have been people complaining that the Water type is too strong.

I don't support this view myself, but for those of us that do, what do you suggest be done to water this type down a bit? (Excuse the pun.)

At first, I assumed you wanted to make the Water-type even stronger...

I don't think it's too overpowered. One of the common suggestions concerning the Water-type was giving it a weakness to Poison-type attacks. I'd be fine with such a change, but personally, I really don't think it's needed.

The only thing I don't like about the Water-type is the abundance of Pokemon that carry it as a Type yet they're all to similar. Besides that, making it weak to Poison would be okay with me. But that's it. Nothing to drastic. And with how long these games have been going on I doubt that change will be made.

I think it's fine the way it is. Maybe less of them would be better though.

The beauty of the Water type is in its low amount of weaknesses and how offensively only 3 types resist it.

I imagine if you threw in another weakness, people would go crazy. But I almost want to see such a reaction.

The beauty of the Water type is in its low amount of weaknesses and how offensively only 3 types resist it.

I imagine if you threw in another weakness, people would go crazy. But I almost want to see such a reaction.

Poison -> Water is what most people here who are asking about it want to see.

Personally, I wouldn't want that to actually happen, but I can imagine both the positive and negative criticism it would receive. People would go crazy.

Poison effective against Water kills two birds with one stone.

And yes, Water is broken. Resisted by 3 Types only, while it resists plenty of key Types (Itself, Ice, Fire), only two weaknesses, one of which the entire Water Pokémon pool can cover without breaking a sweat (Grass), and capable of plenty of amazing defensive Combinations that are very hard to break through, more than make up for its rather meh-ish strengths, which ultimately make Grass basically useless for sharing 2/3rds of its strengths, but only two of its weaknesses, while it mercilessly rips through the Type Chart.

Here's a question I have - is Water as broken as Psychic was in Gen.1?

I don't think it's anywhere near broken as Psychic was. Water is overpowered, yeah, but Psychic was so broken, two types were made with the very purpose of balancing it out, alongside additional changes in the chart.

I honestly dont see that big of an issue with water. There are probably too many water pokemon, but thats about it.

Its perfect the way it is. If it werent for Ice, it would be the worst type yet.

It actually seems like a REALLY good idea to add a Poison weakness to Water, but chances are it won't happen. I think that it is an overpowered type in comparison to every other because of it's fantastic offensive AND defensive capabilities.

It actually seems like a REALLY good idea to add a Poison weakness to Water, but chances are it won't happen. I think that it is an overpowered type in comparison to every other because of it's fantastic offensive AND defensive capabilities.

Water dilutes Posion so Poison should be weak to water not the other way around and a lot of Water types don't learn Ice Types naturally)

Water dilutes Posion so Poison should be weak to water not the other way around and a lot of Water types don't learn Ice Types naturally)

Toxins also pollute water.

And what do you mean, a lot of water types don't learn Ice (I'm going to assume you typoed and meant moves)? EVERY Water type except for Magikarp can learn Ice Beam, or some other Ice move.

Do I think Water should be made weak to Poison? No, not specifically. Do I think any changes will be made to the type chart, realistically? Also no. Would I like to see the Water type balanced out a little more? Of course. One weakness to a type that is laughably rare, and one weakness to a type that is weak to a move any water type can learn. Two weaknesses against types that are taken down by that same move. What's left? The only type that truly stalemates a Water type is...another Water type.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom