• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

EVERYONE: (Flowering Love 2024) A Betting Takeoff

A Betting Takeoff
Created at
Index progress
Complete

On her way to the finals at the Pokémon World Tournament – Skyla finds it difficult to propose to her girlfriend, Elesa. Of course, she isn't the only one struggling in telling someone something important. Her opponent, Jasmine, is in the same predicament with her husband, Steven, about a pregnancy.

Perhaps a bet can be made to settle things once and for all.

Entry for Bulbagarden's Flowering Love Shipping Fanfic contest.
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
A Betting Takeoff
Spr_B2W2_Skyla.png
x
Spr_B2W2_Elesa.png
&
Spr_B2W2_Steven.png
x
Spr_B2W2_Jasmine.png

Rating: Everyone
Genres: Romance, Family
Characters: Skyla, Elesa, Steven Stone, Jasmine
Pairings: AirplaneShipping (Skyla/Elesa), SteelcareShipping (Steven/Jasmine)
Summary: On her way to the finals at the Pokémon World Tournament – Skyla finds it difficult to propose to her girlfriend, Elesa. Of course, she isn't the only one struggling in telling someone something important. Her opponent, Jasmine, is in the same predicament with her husband, Steven, about a pregnancy.
Perhaps a bet can be made to settle things once and for all.
Entry for Bulbagarden's Flowering Love Shipping Fanfic contest.
Links:
Archive of Our Own | Fanfiction.net

My entry for Bulbagarden's Flowering Love Shipping fanfic contest. I'll admit I didn't think I would be able to finish my entry in time, but I did! This also turned out much shorter than I thought it would be. Nonetheless, I think... I am happy with the result.

I've been meaning to write an AirplaneShipping (Skyla/Elesa) fanfic for ages! It's one of my favorite Pokémon ships! When I first heard about the contest here, I knew I had to jump in. It finally gave me an excuse to get my lazy butt off and write something for them. Of course, I added SteelcareShipping (Steven/Jasmine) on the side as I love that ship too. I like rare pairings, okay?

Next, behind HGSS... I love BW, particularly B2W2. The Unova region is second to Johto as my favorite - and I am so glad I finally wrote a fanfic featuring it. I have so many good memories with Gen V, the DS era of Pokémon as a whole was peak. There I said it.

Enjoy!

The view of Nimbasa City's monuments were breathtaking. The art theater, the stadium, pokémon center, gear station, and small court… all visible to Skyla. Many below her feet were crawling the ground like ants – both pokémon and humans. While she, gripped her gloved hands over the cold steel that locked her into the ferris wheel's cabin. It was steadily climbing toward the top. Just three seats away, and she would perform. A rehearsal in motion much like the turning wheel that propelled her toward the heavens.

It reminded Skyla of her plane's roaring engine – gearing her in the skies. Watching the whipsy clouds, flying swannas and bravarys. A moment of bliss.

But here, she was a nervous wreck. The pores of her skin opened from the sweat, along with a lumpy throat and pounding heart. Skyla was alone for Arceus' sake! Elesa was nowhere found. Only back at the hotel in Driftveil City. Just a block away from the Pokémon World Tournament where she was her supporting cheerleader. Taking off time from her busy modeling schedule to see her girlfriend in the competition. Skyla had reached the finals of the World Leaders tournament thanks to her cunning wit and dashing flying types that graced the audience. Her opponents were no match.

She could have been training for the final. After all, Skyla planned to win. Snatch the title and after celebrations, bring Elesa here to begin the next chapter of their lives. Her heart demanded she should practice this. No stumbling during a marriage proposal, time to reherse here and now.

"Elesa," She whispered. She struggled to breathe when pulling out a small velvet box. "There is something… I've been meaning to tell you…"

The ferris wheel paused, frozen in time and she was at its highest peak.

"…you have been with me thick and thin throughout these years. With you, I feel I can do anything… the sky doesn't feel the limit. Will… will… you… marry – "

The ferris wheel's gear made a clunk and it turned again. Skyla sighed and sat down. Why couldn't she do it? This was just a practice run. This was something she had been preparing for weeks, months even. Did she worry about... being too cocky? What was those myths Lenora talked about once? About someone flying too high toward the sun that their wings melted and they fell into the sea meeting their end? Would Elesa even... accept her proposal? She was a busy model and even if they were deeply in love, maybe she wasn't ready yet.

Skyla didn't want to be like Icarus. Yet, she had to try. No matter what.

Driftveil's Lighthouse was smaller than Nimbasa's famous ferris wheel. Yet, it towered over Skyla, closing in on her she stared deeper into it. Freezing her into place – like stone, the same material that was used to build this beacon of light.

Suddenly, she marched in. Visitors were scarce. She recognized some faces, from the crowds of the Pokémon World Tournament matches. Something Driftveil's Gym Leader Clay would boast about since its inception not long ago.

A fan greeted her from Lentimas – a location Skyla had visited often by plane. The young girl jumped up and down. Cheering wishes of victory, followed by quacking of the ducklett at her side. The fan mentioned how she was inspired by Skyla and wanted to be a pilot, how cute.

Skyla walked up the stairs, heading toward the top of the lighthouse. The more she climbed, the more barren and silent it was. Perhaps, there she can try and practice her proposal to Elesa. Maybe it would be a better spot. It was much closer to the tournament too.

At top of the lighthouse – she realized she wasn't alone.

By the window, stood a woman with long brown hair and orange bauble like clips over her head. Those ponytails were reminiscent of a dragonair's wings, with a magnemite over her bare shoulder.

"Do you... like the view, Magnemite?" She inquired softly. The steel pokémon nodded.

She twisted a lock of her brown hair, where shined a diamond ring over one of her fingers. "I… I knew you would. I'm glad. Truth be told, I'm a little nervous…"

She sighed. "…I know Steven keeps reassuring me that I'll do fine. But... I hear she is really strong. What was her name again? Sky – "

"Jasmine."

The woman gasped, eyes widening over Skyla's appearance.

"You're the Gym Leader of Olivine City in the Johto region, are you?"

Jasmine stumbled back. "I am. Soon to be former Gym Leader that is. Who… are you?"

"Skyla. The High Flying Girl. Gym Leader of Mistralton City in Unova. Looks like we both made it to the finals. I look forward to battling you later today."

"Oh, goodness. I… I didn't think I would meet up with you before our match…"

"Neither did I. What brings you here?" Skyla knew she was getting distracted over her original plans, but she could not help but pry.

Jasmine played with her hands. "Well… I love lighthouses you see. When I heard Driftveil City had one I just… had to go see it myself."

"It's quite nice is it?" Skyla approached her, standing near her side. "You can feel the sea breeze here. This city does have ports.

"Yes. Much like Olivine's." Jasmine's face softened into a smile. "I… I enjoy the breeze. In fact, aside from the tournament... this has been such a lovely vacation. My husband loves rocks, you see. He has been quite interested in the mines around Driftveil, so he dragged me over here. Not that I regret it, Unova has so many beautiful locations. Like Undella Town, such a paradise! Floccesy Town is said to have a ranch with many mareep! I have to visit it soon. This may be the last time we'll be traveling for a while."

"Hah, there's so much to explore in Unova. My hometown of Mistralton is famous for exports. Flying service are all around the city! Have you visited?"

"No, but I have visited Chargestone Cave! So many steel types! It's amazing! My husband and I love it!" Skyla saw the twinkle in Jasmine's eyes. Including the change in her voice. A much higher pitch, she was clearly excited thinking about it.

Skyla chuckled. "A paradise for a steel type trainer. Also, you're married?"

"Oh, yes. I am, for a few years now. In fact… this lighthouse… it's brings back memories. The day my husband proposed in a lighthouse in Hoenn's Lilycove City. It was… Arceus, it was so long ago but I remember that day clearly. The setting sun, the gorgeous warm colors over the sky, the crashing waves. My hands being taken by his…"

Jasmine blushed over reminiscing. "…it was one of the most happiest days of my life. It… took a long time for us to reach to that point. But… I'm glad it happened. Now…"

She pressed her hand over stomach. "…we're beginning a new chapter of our life soon. Therefore, I must enjoy what is left of our time here before the major changes."

Skyla's heart fluttered, and her eyes beamed with joy like a child. A baby! This was just too precious for her to ignore. "Ah, congratulations! I really hope the best for you guys!"

"Thank you. But, he doesn't know quite yet."

"Really? You haven't told him?"

"I am trying to determine the right time. We've been trying for a while, and it was only recently that I found out the results. When... should I tell him?"

Skyla scratched the back of her head. This was awkward. "Um..." She was no position to say anything, not when she trying to decide when to surprise her significant other with a proposal. Yet, she wanted to come up with an answer. "...hmm, how about... oh I know! If you lose against me after tonight, you will tell him after!"

"W - what?!" Jasmine's face flushed, unsure if she could even do that without proper preparation! "Um... I..."

"If it makes you feel better, I also have a surprise for my significant other." Skyla's hand clutched the pocket of her shorts, concealing the velvet box. "I'm... not sure why I am so afraid to tell her. Like we're adults! We should be mature enough to handle these types of things!"

"What... are you planning?"

"Well..." Skyla shyly pulled out the box, looking away as her own face turned beet red. "...maybe I should try proposing at a lighthouse like your hubby did."

"Oh, how precious!" Jasmine's hand reached for the box, eyes gleaming over the ring. "You must propose, Skyla! I'm sure she will love it!"

"If only I wasn't being a nervous wreck. Arceus, I feel so... ugh! You're not alone, Jasmine. Telling someone you love something important can be daunting."

"I see. Um... if I accept this deal, if you lose... will you propose to your girlfriend first?"

Skyla chuckled as she put away the box. "I intend to blow away the crowd with my flying types, so I won't lose that easily."

"And if you do? What then?" Jasmine made a cunning smile of her own. "I do not intend to lose either."

"You got some spirit, Jasmine. Fine, if I lose then I propose first. Then, you tell your husband about the pregnancy. If you lose, you go first with your secret. Deal?"

"Deal."

"Then it's settled. Let's do our best." Skyla held out her gloved hand for a handshake to which Jasmine accepted.

"Yes."

The crowd's cheers roared upon the battlefield. A braviary was knocked out, landing right in front of Skyla's boots. His beak opened while his eyes spun before a flashing red light locked him back into his capsule. Skyla's eyes dulled while her lips curved into a frown. The waves of cheers still rumbled across the stadium, and she was down to her last pokémon.

Across the battlefield, Jasmine's steelix twirled, leaving a trail of dust before hovering over Mistralton's Gym Leader.

Jasmine had never imagined it would come down to this, and she was at her final limit. Even if Steelix remained with a will to fight, she had taken a hit. Skyla's next pokémon could finish her off, Olivine's Gym Leader had to keep guard.

Behind her, right in the center of the crowd – her husband was watching the match. A smirk swept across his face as he crossed his arms – revealing his own wedding ring. Jasmine's magnemite rested over his left shoulder, nearly dozing off. When Jasmine turned back at Steven, he made a quick nod. "You have made it this far, Jasmine. Now, show Skyla what the magnificent steel type is capable of! Make us proud!"

Her heart fluttered from the love and support she recieved from him. She looked down below to her waist with the silliest grin. She whispered, "Did you hear that, your father is cheering us on. I can't wait for you to meet him."

Meanwhile, Skyla looked back at her side of the crowd. In the center, sat her beloved Elesa. Her blue eyes locking toward her own with a gentle smile. Emolga sat over trainer's shoulder, waving a flag of support.

"You can do it, Skyla," she whispered.

Skyla smiled back. "I won't lose." She faced back at Jasmine, tossing a poké ball into the air - sending out her final pokémon.

"Swanna!"

"I'm really proud of you. You know that, right?"

Skyla propped her head up from the cabin's door, distancing away from the view of the rest of Nimbasa. Lights began to pop out like fireflies after dark – as the sun was setting. Once again, she was here – almost at the top of the ferris wheel. Only this time, Elesa sat across from her.

Skyla leaned against the seat, elbow resting over the cabin door. She pouted. "How was I supposed to know Jasmine was married to Hoenn Champion's Steven Stone? It's no wonder she was so tough. He must have shown her some advanced techniques! Not to mention they are both steel type trainers."

"Even so, you managed to knock out most of her pokémon... leaving only Steelix," said Elesa. "That alone is impressive."

"I guess." Skyla hung her head down. "Ugh, I demand a rematch."

Elesa shook her head. "Oh Skyla, you really shined bright in that battle. I enjoyed every second of it."

"I'm just glad you were there for me. As always. Thank you, Elesa."

"Of course. Now, what did you bring me here for? You said you wanted to tell me something?"

Skyla froze, her cheeks turning rosy. Right. How could she forget? Jasmine even mentioned it after their battle. A deal's a deal. Now, she had to do it. No more stalling it.

"About that…" The ferris wheel stopped and they were at the top. Just her and Elesa alone. Skyla took a deep breath. She got out of her seat and went down on one knee.

"Um…" Elesa was puzzled by the sudden gesture. "…what are you doing?"

Skyla's knees trembled. Her entire face red as a tomato, with shaky hands struggling to reach her back pocket. Oh, why was she so nervous? Get it together, Skyla! Okay, here it goes…

"Elesa, you… have always... been by my side for so many years," she began. "The day you accepted my feelings and became my girlfriend was one of the best days of my life. It felt so… electrifying."

Her girlfriend laughed at the cheesy line. "Oh my. Have… I rubbed off on you too much?"

"Sure you're not an airline? It makes me wanna ride you," Skyla added with a wink and a tinge of humor in her voice. Her girlfriend wheezed from laughter. "Oh, now you are using... puns?! Are you serious?"

Skyla laughed in return. Seeing Elesa giggle was one of the cutest things ever. "Couldn't help myself!"

Elesa wiped a tear as she composed herself from the hard laughter. "Ah... my stomach. You're so funny, Skyla."

"Heh, but in all seriousness… besides being my bestie and love of my life, you truly are the best person I have ever met."

"Don't give me all the credit. I think you're amazing too," Elesa reminded.

"I know. Elesa, you know that I love flying. Being up high in the heavens with my plane is one of the best feelings in the world. But, I'm always happier when you are with me. Like right now. I feel I can do anything, like a jet. Just flying ever so smooth and free, with you as my pilot. And… I want to continue that, forever."

"Skyla?"

"Arceus, I feel like a fool." Skyla felt like her skin was melting into mush, especially in pulling out the velvet box. Nonetheless, she mustered the courage and presented it to Elesa. A golden ring with a diamond cravat, with wings engraved on each side.

A slight gasp escaped from Elesa's throat. Her hands covering her mouth over what this meant.

"Now you know why I brought you up here," Skyla whispered. "Clay helped me with picking out the ring. Thanks to those mines he has, he fetched me a really nice gem. Was a bit pricy, but... worth the money. That being said... Elesa, Shining Beauty of Nimbasa City, I want you to continue being my pilot. The pilot that guides me through the skies of life. I want to stay by your side in return, if you let me. Will… you marry me?"

No words were said, instead Elesa nodded. Her eyes watering as she held out her hand. The ring slid in her slender finger perfectly, Now engaged, Skyla pulled her face closer to her now fiancée, kissing her soft lips. The beginning of a new life, together.

"Ready for takeoff," she chuckled, pulling away. "Thank you, my beautiful pilot. Let's fly together, forever."

At ground level, Jasmine looked up toward the top of the ferris wheel. As she witnessed Skyla with her beloved, she smiled warmly. More so when she felt Steven's hands embrace her waist, his palms over the small bump.

"This may be the best find yet," He said warmly, smiling over becoming a father.

Jasmine giggled. "More so than what you found back at the Driftveil mines?"

"Positive. Quite a deal you made with Skyla just to tell me this wonderful news."

"Had to. A deal's a deal, Steven."

Fun fact, if you want to know what happened next for Steven and Jasmine - this fanfic is a continuation. Their entire side of this story is a reference to that fic! Just wanted to tie it somehow, hehe. Feel free to read if interested!

Last edited:
AirplaneShipping is one of my favorite ships, so I KNEW I was gonna enjoy this one! :bulbaLove: This fic just had a sort of warm feeling around the entire thing! SteelcareShipping was actually not a pairing I ever considered, but seeing it in the lens of your fic actually makes me realize how cohesive Jasmine and Steven would be together (not JUST because of their affinity for steel-types either). This just felt like a super cute slice of life anime OVA through and through, I'm glad Skyla found the strength to confess while being her genuine self, even if she did have to find the spirit through a Pokemon battle! (hehe)

I just really loved Skyla and Jasmine connecting atop the lighthouse, I think that entire scene was so heartwarming... the two of them talking about love and finding the courage to face whatever comes with it... I want these two to interact in canon so bad! (It was such a tiny detail, but I love the Magnemite being on Jasmine's shoulder too, I think that's sooo cute.)

I'm so happy you wrote this!! I need more AirplaneShippers on bulba fr!! I loved it lots n lots <3

AirplaneShipping is one of my favorite ships, so I KNEW I was gonna enjoy this one! :bulbaLove: This fic just had a sort of warm feeling around the entire thing! SteelcareShipping was actually not a pairing I ever considered, but seeing it in the lens of your fic actually makes me realize how cohesive Jasmine and Steven would be together (not JUST because of their affinity for steel-types either). This just felt like a super cute slice of life anime OVA through and through, I'm glad Skyla found the strength to confess while being her genuine self, even if she did have to find the spirit through a Pokemon battle! (hehe)

I just really loved Skyla and Jasmine connecting atop the lighthouse, I think that entire scene was so heartwarming... the two of them talking about love and finding the courage to face whatever comes with it... I want these two to interact in canon so bad! (It was such a tiny detail, but I love the Magnemite being on Jasmine's shoulder too, I think that's sooo cute.)

I'm so happy you wrote this!! I need more AirplaneShippers on bulba fr!! I loved it lots n lots <3

Thank you so much! AirplaneShipping is a ship I always wanted to write about, and I am proud that I did. Even better that people are seeing the potential of SteelcareShipping! It's underrated and would I love to write more about them (whenever I get good ideas again, haha). Steven and Jasmine being lovable and quiet dorks over steel types are just too precious! :yay:

You know, I can see the anime OVA feel because the story does jump from scene to scene. I was trying to weave together snippets, and this story was the end product. Not too shabby I suppose. And it was so much fun writing my two favorite gym leaders interact. I love Jasmine so much, but Skyla is a close second for me. ^^ Maybe they can interact in PokeMas someday.

AirplaneShipping for life, with you on that. Skyla/Elesa are OTP material for sure. Def needs more fans.

Back
Top Bottom