• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Galar Regional Variants aka Galarian Forms

Do You think We'll see Galar Regional Varients of Past Pokemon and would you want them

• Total voters
On the bright side, Galarian forms don't seem to be more Kanto shilling (at least not exclusively), which makes them slightly more tolerable than Alolan forms were imo. But overall they're still another sad gimmick where Gamefreak will rehash a bunch of old Pokemon designs, put a cheap wig and lipstick on them, and call it a day.

Now that Galarian forms are confirmed, we can speculate to no end about what Pokémon might receive them (except for those Pokémon already shown in trailers to be there original forms).

I personally think they won't give any Galarian forms to any gen 6 or 7 Pokémon. My reason is simple... There is no way those Pokémon will be released in GO within the next year, and there is a 100% chance they will release Galarian forms in GO for cross-promotion. They did it with Alola forms for SM.

On the bright side, Galarian forms don't seem to be more Kanto shilling (at least not exclusively), which makes them slightly more tolerable than Alolan forms were imo. But overall they're still another sad gimmick where Gamefreak will rehash a bunch of old Pokemon designs, put a cheap wig and lipstick on them, and call it a day.
A downer

Very happy with this news :) Can y’all believe I’ve never used the Koffing line in a playthrough yet? Poison/Fairy Weezing seems like a great opportunity to give it a try.

Punk rock Zigzagoon is kinda goofy to me and I can’t wait for the “Poochyena was a bad influence” memes. It’s also neat that they’re expanding on the concept a bit by giving this specific regional variant an evolution.

I’m kind of hoping some of the Alolan forms will make it in too now because they seem to fit with the aesthetic of the region. Specifically Vulpix and Sandshrew seem like they would transfer over easy, probably Muk too. Not sure about the others - they’re either redundant or Galar is “too cold”.

So Galarian Forms confirmed huh? I'm not much of a fan of this concept so for me I wouldn't mind if it was Alola exclusive.

Anyway I'm expecting to see a lot of Gen 4 variations to tie-in with the inevitable DP remakes, which I bet'll be either 2020 or 2021 releases.

The Galarian Weezing is really backwards.

Capitalism greed pollutes the air and Earth by abusing land resources without a single care for the consequences it'll pose, and is the leading cause of climate change. Yet the Galarian Weezing, wearing a Dimmadome, smoke stack-styled top hat, purifies the air instead?

I mean I'm half joking.

That's a gross over-generalization of the regional form concept.

That's a gross over-generalization of the regional form concept.

What part specifically? Because y'all can't seriously sit there and tell me that Gamefreak isn't being somewhat lazy when they take an old Pokemon design and revamp it slightly by changing its color scheme and adding a couple of cosmetic changes and a change of type or two. It's the kind of thing that fans were already doing on DeviantArt and other fanart sites like that for years, and now Gamefreak has decided to capitalize on it.

So Galarian Forms confirmed huh? I'm not much of a fan of this concept so for me I wouldn't mind if it was Alola exclusive.

Anyway I'm expecting to see a lot of Gen 4 variations to tie-in with the inevitable DP remakes, which I bet'll be either 2020 or 2021 releases.
Wouldn’t it be something if most of the possible Sinnoh variants were fire types.

What part specifically? Because y'all can't seriously sit there and tell me that Gamefreak isn't being somewhat lazy when they take an old Pokemon design and revamp it slightly by changing its color scheme and adding a couple of cosmetic changes and a change of type or two. It's the kind of thing that fans were already doing on DeviantArt and other fanart sites like that for years, and now Gamefreak has decided to capitalize on it.
Yes I'm telling you exactly that. First of all there's more to pokemon than just design changes. They have separate models, movepools etc. Morover aside from being a pretty good way to breathe fresh air into old pokemon, it actually makes sense from a lore perspective too. Plus it helps with the fact that they can't dish out 120 pokemon like they used to before.

Calling them lazy over this is ridiculous.

I don't mind Game Freak adding what is essentially reskins and type changes to a pre-existing Pokemon. But what I am bothered by is,

Game Freak: We cannot include every Pokemon because there is just too many species and too many forms.
Also Game Freak: adds more regional variants

Yes I'm telling you exactly that. First of all there's more to pokemon than just design changes. They have separate models, movepools etc. Morover aside from being a pretty good way to breathe fresh air into old pokemon, it actually makes sense from a lore perspective too. Plus it helps with the fact that they can't dish out 120 pokemon like they used to before.

Agreed. People can agree to disagree, but calling regional variants lazy is unfounded. Just say you dislike the idea or the designs of some of them. Even the silly designs have a cool real life basis or reasoning behind them, though. Plus, it's widely regarded to be the best idea Gamefreak came up with in a very very long time.

I don't like the way that they made Zigzagoon go from cute to looking so edgy and tryhard, but I have faith that some of the other Galaran forms won't be as hideous.

I don't mind Game Freak adding what is essentially reskins and type changes to a pre-existing Pokemon. But what I am bothered by is,

Game Freak: We cannot include every Pokemon because there is just too many species and too many forms.
By that logic one could argue that them adding new pokemon to the game is also hypocritical. But it's not. New forms and pokemon are the main draw of the game. They are more important than the old ones.

I agree, not to mention that (some) people would still call GF lazy for some designs of new Pokémon anyway.

The lore perspective is the major reason I like regional forms. It makes perfect sense that some Pokémon might change appearance and typing based on the region they’re in.

This is actually a good reason for dislike regional forms in Galar. Although I guess that the Dexit decision might’ve come up later then the work on regional forms.

I don't like the way that they made Zigzagoon go from cute to looking so edgy and tryhard, but I have faith that some of the other Galaran forms won't be as hideous.

I do agree that the Zigzagoon line was made way edgier in Galar, but I don’t see how the two counterpart of the original one can be defined as hideous (disliking them it totally fine). Galaran Zigzagoon, actually, is still cute in mischevious way to me.

Gotta give Game Freak credit where it's due-not only did they bring back a beloved feature, but they're also expanding it. Thank goodness regional variants are being offered to Pokemon that aren't just from Generation I. I also love the fact that Obstagoon's existence echoes back to Sinnoh, where many Pokemon were gifted additional evolution. I, for one, am very excited about the potential Galarian forms and possible cross generational evolutionary forms we may receive.

An aside though, apparently Galarian Zigzagoon are the original of the species, according to Pokemon.com. That's pretty cool. However, I'm not a big fan on how Obstagoon has the same battle style as Lyncanroc Dusk Form though...

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom