• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gay Marriage Legalized by Top U.S. Court in Landmark Ruling!

Reaction score
Same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry nationwide, the U.S. Supreme Court said in a historic ruling that caps the biggest civil rights transformation in a half-century.

Voting 5-4, the justices said states lack any legitimate reason to deprive gay couples of the freedom to marry. Justice Anthony Kennedy joined the court’s four Democratic appointees in the majority, bringing gay weddings to the 14 states where they were still banned.

“The right to marry is a fundamental right inherent in the liberty of the person,” Kennedy wrote. “Couples of the same sex may not be deprived of that right and that liberty.”

The ruling is a legal landmark, on par with the 1967 Supreme Court decision that guaranteed interracial couples the right to wed. It punctuates a period of sweeping change in the rights of gays, coming only 11 years after Massachusetts became the first state to allow same-sex marriages.

he decision is likely to meet resistance in parts of the country and spark new legal fights. North Carolina has a new law that lets court officials refuse to officiate at same-sex marriage ceremonies. The Alabama Supreme Court has stopped probate judges from complying with a ruling legalizing marriage.

Gay-rights advocates, meanwhile, will intensify their efforts to win anti-discrimination protections, both at the federal level and in the dozens of states where people can still be fired or denied housing because of sexual orientation.

-1x-1.png

Rest of Article on Bloomberg

I'm so proud of the US today!

Another win for equality. Let's hope we get a lot more.

• Staff
Here's hoping this will be a catalyst for loads of countries to review how they deal with gays, marital equality and perhaps open the doors to more acceptance of trans people. A huge win for civilized society.

About as soon as I woke up I heard this news, and needless to say, it already made my day. Here's to hoping more countries follow.

I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't piss off a trainload of bigots. Given the result was 5-4 in favour of, it would be arguable that it coulda gone either way.

Okay guys this is a simple point I'm going to make. Please do not use this thread to voice any negative comments against those who support or those that do not support gay marriage.

This is wonderful news and we should focus on the positives rather than attack sides.

Thank you.

i'm so happy this has happened and i hope that, like many others have said, other countries follow this monumentous decision. i also hope that the movement continues beyond marriage rights. the fight is not yet over.

Great news! I just hope that people don't forget that there are plenty of other LGBT rights that are very important to fight for. Marriage equality is great, it is important, but LGBT rights are not "won", now.

As a Canadian, I'm simultaneously proud and upset with the States for this. Proud because it FINALLY happened, but saddened because it took so long. However, this week in general has been a HUGE step forward for the United States. The confederate flag has been removed and reprimanded, and people are finally free to pursue happiness with the love of their life.

This was one of those things people had always joked and stressed over because they didn't think it would ever happen. What a relief it must be.

Congrats.

For the first time in a long time, some good news! Yeah, it may have taken a while to actually happen, but hey, it happened, and I couldn't be more happy for this kind of victory. =D

I do some volunteer work for a church that supports LGBT people. I'm sure the pastors there will be ecstatic to hear about this. ;-)

As for me, I'm relieved that we're legalizing gay marriage. Hopefully, no one will judge based on what one's preference is.

Glad to see this. Hopefully with less silly drama surrounding this whole issue, the country will be able to focus on more important problems that need solving.

Can't believe it's been about six and half years since Proposition 8 has passed in California that has led up to this day. Of course, that day is just a typical day except know I know that myself can marry that guy I want anywhere in the US for the benefits.

Hopefully this leads a domino effect in places like Australia, Germany, Japan, China and South Korea to name just a few.

Here's the link to the decision: http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/14pdf/14-556_3204.pdf

And really strong words at the end, great finale on this issue in the US:

No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice, and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were. As some of the petitioners in these cases demonstrate, marriage embodies a love that may endure even past death. It would misunderstand these men and women to say they disrespect the idea of marriage. Their plea is that they do respect it, respect it so deeply that they seek to find its fulfillment for themselves. Their hope is not to be condemned to live in loneliness, excluded from one of civilization’s oldest institutions. They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right.

The judgment of the Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit is reversed.

It is so ordered.

About damn time, love has finally won. Now that same-sex marriage has been finally legalized, we can focus more on other issues that affect non-heterosexual couples, like workplace discrimination and high school bullying.

Awesome! My girlfriend came home early from work and was really excited. I'm glad people finally recognize people's right to marry.

NYC was a party today, it was fantastic! (left work early today with a few friends and bar crawled our way through Hell's Kitchen [which is one of the more well known 'gay' scenes in NYC]). Free drinks, people of all stripes celebrating... it was something that I was truly glad to be a part of.

As someone who grew up in Massachusetts (where we've had legal gay marriage for a decade), all I can say is that it was about time.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom