• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gender confusions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Female Hyenas look more masculine(even down there....) and act more masculine than male Hyenas.

Nidorinas cant breed due to Moonstone radiation making them infertile. Nidorinas are just Celebit.

Female Wobbuffet has lipstick. That's all that matters. The gender differences are pretty much otherwise arbitrary. They'll still be girled up in the show/etc (by looks or by actions) if they wanna make it clear it's a female (more or less one that another Pokemon falls for). The only thing that gets me is the ridiculous amounts of retconning this series seems to do.

No one breeds with 'Rina because they oppose the circle of life. <-- Quick n' silly comic I did some time ago.

Did anyone even think of gender-changing animals? Why can't certain Pokemon change their own gender? I know that a certain fish (I think it's a Parrot Fish, but I'm not too sure) can change its gender at will. Why can't certain Pokemon be able to change their gender? Also, even some male animals have a feminine appearance and some females have a masculine appearance.

That's something I've always wondered. But I guess it might be too complex to program or could cause odd happenings. (i.e. Hariyama that was infatuated with its foe now turned Female, and yet is still in love)

Also, this might not be totally related, but, why is it that all Pokemon lay eggs yet certain Pokemon are clearly not fish, reptiles or birds. I mean, it's kinda hard to visualize Wailord and Wailmer spawning their offspring with eggs.

They don't produce eggs. They just appear. No one knows where they come from.

1/3 of all Azurills go through a Gender change upon evolution, due to Marril and Azurill's different gender ratio.

Marril- 50 Male/50 Female
Azurill- 25 Male/75 Female

Kadabra, Alakazam and Krickitune don't have moustaches, they have antennae(sp?).

Machop line should be only Male.

Male Lopunny use they're distinctive(sp?) looks to attaract prey for the family. What? Oddish, Tangela and stuff'll be eaten.

Gardevoir Males should not exist.

Male Kanghaskan:
After giving birth, the female Kanghaskan will kill the father as only the father's meat will satisfy a baby's appetite.

To be honest, everyone here seems to be getting tangled up in an apparently imaginary law stating that females of a species must look like females, and males like males. The problem with that is that our own standards of what masculinity, and the adjective masculine, as well as femininity and feminine, are are completely arbitrary - gender is not a natural thing, but rather a socially constructed phenomenon. Some individuals in society are less concerned about men being manly or women being caring because they're aware that such things are projected expectations, not actual, quantifiable characteristics that aren't the direct or indirect result of society's own opinions on how boys, girls, men and women should be. Even the assignment at birth of "boy" and "girl" are examples of this - after all, a penis needn't actually mean "boy" but rather than the individual has a penis.

Furthermore, what we identify as male and female is also completely arbitrary - scientifically, the male is the individual who produces the smaller gametes, while the female produces the larger; that doesn't necessitate testicles, ovaries, uterus, vasa deferentia. And it certainly doesn't necessitate secondary sex characteristics, like breasts, more developed muscles, more or less pungent scents, etc. That fact is, what people see as an "odd-looking" female Machoke are suffering from their own constricted expectations of what female should be like, and what male should be like. There's nothing to state that a female Machoke isn't capable of producing larger gametes than her male counterpart - and there's nothing to suggest that she couldn't look identical to a male of her species. Similarly, just because a male Gardevoir looks like a female one doesn't mean he's not making spermatozoa by the second. And even then, the pokémon games pay no attention to the reality of bisexed beings within nature - for instance, those beings that possess both forms of sex cells, those in transition between two polar states, or those who possess sex organs that cannot be used or produce no viable sex cells. The point is, what is commonly imagined to be a bipolar world in respect to gender and sex is nowhere near that in reality - rather, in both cases a scale exists, and individuals are positioned somewhere along it. There is neither any reason nor any sense in supposing it's an "either/or" set-up as is being done here.

to be fair, though, didn't the games themselves assign gender-exclusive Pokemon based on these societal interpretations of gender? Given what you said, a male Muchul/Rougela or female Barukii/evos would be perfectly feasible.

And personally, I'm kinda surprised no one brings up the fact that several Pokemon appear to be inherently male by their design. I heard somewhere that Sugimori based his early artwork off of Akira Toriyama, and I'd agree with that. Several of the Pokemon seem to be sporting a pair of eyes reminiscent of the male characters in Dragon Ball, and yet somehow, a female Pigeot isn't that hard for everyone to picture, is it?

...And instead of saying, "hey, why do pokémon not conform more to gender and sex stereotypes?" I'm saying, "why should any?" The fact is, I consider it bad enough that gender and sex segregation is so encouraged - so instead of there being any such separation, I'd far prefer a more tolerant, less bipolar set-up that people can then use to infer gender-appropriateness upon. That's my point. I'm aware that certain designs were assigned specific sexes when GS came out, but honestly, I spent a long time hunting for a male Jynx before I realised by reading it online that actually, Jynx are only female. And no, I'm not stupid, or lacking cognitive maturity - I merely didn't place such archaic projections upon what I saw, just as I don't when on human beings. Personally, I'm tired of people viewing gender-ambiguity as a bad thing, labelling transgendered and transsexed individuals as "trannies" and regarding them as "other", and viewing gender (as well as sex) bipolarity as some kind of universal law. If there was no such thing, maybe there'd also be a lot less intolerance towards those that don't conform to what should be a system of outdated rigidity.

It's wierd that some species of Pokemon, even though there are clearly members of both genders in them, look more like they should just be one or the other, but there are things in real life that totally throw some people's ideas of what's manly and girly off completely. Example, the peacock, the species of real-life birds with the huge, beautiful tail-feathers, are really all males. The females of the same species actually look kinda ordinary when compared to males. So, it doesn't really surprise me that some species still look more like one gender than the other, even with some differences. To me, it's just saying that some species are dominated more by one gender than the other.

I find male goldeens disturbing a little bit. But what is funnier is how masculine female seakings look ^^" Either way you get a horrible gender chane appearance. I didn't evolve my goldeen because of that!

Male Roselia and female Machamp are the most disturbing. >_>

And Hitmonchan looks feminine with that ballerina-like outfit and stuff. Even its cry is feminine.

I was slightly surprised once I saw Lopunny animated in PBR. Once they move their hands away, you can see that their torso is straight as a pole. No curves on that, except for the legs.

Female Wobafett(sp?) is the best gedner difference ever. But yeah, I proudly use a male Gardevoir, and anyone who actually cares should get a life.

Masculinity and femininity are relative. What humans consider a feminine trait may be a masculine trait in another species. I don't think that just because a Pokémon's pretty or "feminine" looking makes it disturbing if it's a male.And I don't think that a Pokémon with a more "masculine" appearance is disgusting if it's a female. What we see as female or male traits is purely based on humans, and they don't apply to other species.

Masculinity and femininity are relative. What humans consider a feminine trait may be a masculine trait in another species.

peacocks are probably the most famous example of this. Within Pokemon, Garmeil looks pretty flashy compared to Minomadam (oddly enough, Minomadam still has feminine traits, namely the eyelashes and the "hair"). Though, given its basis off of bagworms, it was probably inevitable (some bagworm moths even have the bright coloring scheme as opposed to the dull, gray coloring commonly associated with moths).

People need to stop applying human charateristics of gender to non-human creatures...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom