• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

General questions thread - have a question? Ask here!

So i was just wondering about the Redis rules...

how exactly do they work?

and if its Non-redis
how would the person know of you traded it or not?
is it just going by the honor system?

So i was just wondering about the Redis rules...

how exactly do they work?

and if its Non-redis
how would the person know of you traded it or not?
is it just going by the honor system?

Fully redis: give it to whomever you please
Semi redis: trade agreement dependent upon the OT/ask OT what their requirements are
Non-redis: not allowed to clone/trade it

And yes, it's all based on the honor system because once something is traded, the OT can't physically stop you from doing anything with the Pokemon they gave you.

Fully redis: give it to whomever you please
Semi redis: trade agreement dependent upon the OT/ask OT what their requirements are
Non-redis: not allowed to clone/trade it

And yes, it's all based on the honor system because once something is traded, the OT can't physically stop you from doing anything with the Pokemon they gave you.

@yourlilemogirl
Ok

thank you so very much :)
i understand it now :)

You got Full and Non both right, but usually Semi-Redist means that if you recieve it from the OT themselves then you can trade it, but anyone you trade it to cannot (as they didn't recieve it from the OT).

E.g. (random names)

Agatha is offering a Bulbasaur (Semi-Redist)
Betty recieves the Bulba from Agatha, so Betty is allowed to trade it as they wish
Carl trades with Betty for the Bulba, but because Carl did not recieve it from Agatha he cannot trade it (so it effectively becomes Non-Redist for him).

It's the more complex of the three.

I have a question about trade shops. Im interested in starting one and Id like to know generally how much is good to offer. I was planning on making this shop for mainly Dream World Pokemon and a few shinies, Id just like a general idea how many Pokemon are good to have to start up a trade shop.

I have a question about trade shops. Im interested in starting one and Id like to know generally how much is good to offer. I was planning on making this shop for mainly Dream World Pokemon and a few shinies, Id just like a general idea how many Pokemon are good to have to start up a trade shop.

If you have enough to keep a healthy stock then I usually approve. I'd say healthy would be >=25 unique stuff (shinies, legendaries, DW, etc etc). If you're just offering dex fillers (I know you didn't mention them) then you'd have to be offering a lot more, but for other stuff >=25.

What do people mean when they said "touched" or "untouched"?

EDIT: What about RNG'ed?

Last edited:
What do people mean when they said "touched" or "untouched"?

EDIT: What about RNG'ed?

Touched : usually this refers to a pokemon that has gained levels/experience/EV's since it was caught/hatched.
Untouched (or UT) : this refers to a pokemon that has not been "touched"; so has gained no levels/experience/EV's, it usually has the moves/level it was caught at, or bred at. Most event collectors prefer events to be UT, so they are the same as when the event was distributed.

RNG'd : The Random Number Generator. It's a program (which is not hacking in the slightest, and I'm not being sarcastic, it's really not hacking) which allows for the manipulation of certain characteristics of ingame values. Such as whether an egg hatches shiny with specific IV's or whether a legendary pokemon appears shiny when you battle it. It's basically manipulationg the game's data to get what you want without resorting to hacking.

And I mentioned these above, so just incase you're unsure:

EV's : Effort Values. These are essentially "points" that pokemon gain through battling certain pokemon, that add to a specific stat (e.g. battling a bunch of Patrat and Lillipup add Attack EV's to your Attack stat, while battling Audino give HP EV's, and thus increase your pokemon's overall HP.)
IV's : Individual values. These are kind of the opposite to EV's, in the way that you can't change them once the pokemon is caught or hatched. Each stat on each pokemon has an IV, 31 being the max and 0 being the least. Most people either RNG or IV breed (but some hack) to get the desired IV's on the pokemon, because the higher the IV the higher the stat can become.

I don't want to go into too much detail with IV's, because if you're new to it all they're sort of complicated when combined with EV's and natures, and not really worth worrying about.

RNG'd : The Random Number Generator. It's a program (which is not hacking in the slightest, and I'm not being sarcastic, it's really not hacking) ...

Is there a canonical definition for the word "hacking", as used within the pokemon community, that makes this statement true?... (I note that Bulbapedia redirects "Hacking" to a page about notable ROM hacks of the pokemon games.)

Whether or not you see it as hacking, there are people who view RNG'd pokemon as invalid and do not want to receive them in a trade. (I am one of these people.)

Is there a canonical definition for the word "hacking", as used within the pokemon community, that makes this statement true?... (I note that Bulbapedia redirects "Hacking" to a page about notable ROM hacks of the pokemon games.)

Whether or not you see it as hacking, there are people who view RNG'd pokemon as invalid and do not want to receive them in a trade. (I am one of these people.)

Hacking is the creating of pokemon through a device (such as an Action Reply, PokeGen and that other thing called Poke-something). RNG'd pokemon are not created through a third party device, nothing is inserted into your game, all you do is change the time and date on your DS.

If you don't want to accept them that is fine, but it is by no means hacking since all you do is change the date and time, not input a device such as an AR then use a code to alter the game's data.

But generally, if the pokemon is not created by the game data itself, and it is changed by an AR or similar program (e.g. forcing pokemon to be shiny/changing their IV's with PokGen or that other thing) then it is classified as hacked.

Hacking is the creating of pokemon through a device (such as an Action Reply, PokeGen and that other thing called Poke-something). RNG'd pokemon are not created through a third party device, nothing is inserted into your game, all you do is change the time and date on your DS.

If you don't want to accept them that is fine, but it is by no means hacking since all you do is change the date and time, not input a device such as an AR then use a code to alter the game's data.

But generally, if the pokemon is not created by the game data itself, and it is changed by an AR or similar program (e.g. forcing pokemon to be shiny/changing their IV's with PokGen or that other thing) then it is classified as hacked.

Thanks for articulating the definition for me.

Is this definition recorded anywhere on Bulbapedia? It seems like it would be useful to document it; the definition you give does seem to agree with what I have seen of other pokemon enthusiasts' use of the term, but I haven't often seen it explicitly spelled out.

Thanks for articulating the definition for me.

Is this definition recorded anywhere on Bulbapedia? It seems like it would be useful to document it; the definition you give does seem to agree with what I have seen of other pokemon enthusiasts' use of the term, but I haven't often seen it explicitly spelled out.

I don't believe it is recorded anywhere. It's just grown to be the standard of what people define as hacked pokemon - that hacked pokemon are usually modified/created through a third party device/program or come from altered game data. I stress altered, because that's the difference between hacking and RNG'ing.

Hacking alters the game data to get what you want (e.g. every wild pokemon is shiny - which is altering the data), whereas RNG'ing just manipulates the game's already existing data (e.g. X wild pokemon at X time on X date will be shiny, with X ability X nature and X IV's).

If you do have any other questions then, of course, feel free to ask. :)

Re: General questions

This may have been asked before, but is Game Sync a necessity to trade?

Nope. Game Sync is to access the Dream World, iirc. You need a Wi-Fi connection, though.

Hey, I'm a longtime member returning. What's a VM?

This thread is for questions about trading. But a VM is a Visitor Message, and that's when people post a message to you on your profile.

Okay, two questions:

1. If I can only trade for a period of about a week, do I need to mark my Offering thread as a "Giveaway?"

2. Can you have an Offering thread and a Wanted thread at the same time?

Okay, two questions:

1. If I can only trade for a period of about a week, do I need to mark my Offering thread as a "Giveaway?"

2. Can you have an Offering thread and a Wanted thread at the same time?

1. Only use the prefix "Giveaway" if you are actually giving them away for free. If you are wanting stuff in return then don't label it as a giveaway (regardless of the time frame you have to trade). Just mark it as offering.

2. Yes.

Last edited:
1. Only use the prefix "Giveaway" if you are actually giving them away for free. If you are wanting stuff in return then don't label it as a giveaway (regardless of the time frame you have to trade). Just mark it as offering.

2. Yes.

OK, thanks!

I have a question, maybe someone can answer it, Why won't it let me trade my Ho-Oh from HeartGold to my Pokemon White game with ether of the transfer options?, I tried removing fly from Ho Oh and items all that stuff. I also beat the Elite Four. Could someone maybe explain? I don't understand :(

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom