• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation 8 Rumours/Fakes/Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a different subject, but I wonder when we'll first start seeing news now that a new year is starting next week. IIRC, when XY were announced for the 3DS, it was either the first or second week of January 2013.

Change is sometimes good. Also you will probably warm up to it after a while.
Not all of the time. I'm fine with gyms being removed. I'm fine with evolving legendaries. I'm fine with new Pokemon being introduced in a middle of a generation. I am not fine with changing the battle system. I like turn based combat. It provides complex strategies and a lot of depth. I do not want all this depth and complexity to be lost. Change on this level will alienate a lot of fans, especially competitive players, because they will have to learn completely new strategies and I don't think they want to do that. Change on this level will basically kill the competitive scene. Do you really want that?

On a different subject, but I wonder when we'll first start seeing news now that a new year is starting next week. IIRC, when XY were announced for the 3DS, it was either the first or second week of January 2013.

Well it's either going to be on the january nintendo direct or in a pokemon direct later, the nintendo direct is spaculated to be on the third week of january on a tuesday, so the 16th

Well it's either going to be on the january nintendo direct or in a pokemon direct later, the nintendo direct is spaculated to be on the third week of january on a tuesday, so the 16th
The game might not even come out next year. I don't know if we'll be seeing news that early.

Even if the game comes out next year we won't get an announcement until Zeraora is revealed. That much is certain. Once that happens we can get back to wondering when it'll happen, but until Zeraora is common knowledge it's out of the question

All of which are obtainable in HGSS as well.

Every game's been an evolution of Pokemon in general, especially graphically. Gen 2 had overworlds with multiple colors, Gen 3 had battle sprites with multiple colors, Gen 4 introduced the lower screen, and so on.
and both are the only games not to have fossil Pokémon[/QUOTE]
You're just reaching for similarities here. A lack of new fossil Pokemon is obviously not the spirit of a game.

Have you never heard anyone say "as different as night and day"? Besides, not every trio is based on opposites-is truth the opposite of ideals? Is space the opposite of time?

As Ho-Oh, Solgaleo, and Lunala haven't had any major roles in the anime at all, the anime does not seem like a good base for your argument.[/QUOTE]
I did say it was a Theory didn't I ?

There's not really any probability that can be determined. Leaks are either true or not, it's a guessing game more than a matter of chance. But if you'd like some reassurance, here's why I don't take leakers very seriously:
I agree, the source of the "battle system leak" is fairly questionable. It comes from twitter so it could very well be just for attention, however like you said, leaks are leaks, they are either true or not so we will have to see.

I might be the only one here who would love a new game in kanto :/
Id be up for a Kanto remake... If game freak where to do something cool and new with it though.

Even if the game comes out next year we won't get an announcement until Zeraora is revealed. That much is certain. Once that happens we can get back to wondering when it'll happen, but until Zeraora is common knowledge it's out of the question
IDK, unless it is a Generation 7 Pokemon they will have as a distribution for both Sun/Moon and the next game. If it is a Kanto remake (or a remake in general), it could get a new form of some kind so they might hold out on it. I could see them revealing something in January for the game unless it is delayed until 2019

Not all of the time. I'm fine with gyms being removed. I'm fine with evolving legendaries. I'm fine with new Pokemon being introduced in a middle of a generation. I am not fine with changing the battle system. I like turn based combat. It provides complex strategies and a lot of depth. I do not want all this depth and complexity to be lost. Change on this level will alienate a lot of fans, especially competitive players, because they will have to learn completely new strategies and I don't think they want to do that. Change on this level will basically kill the competitive scene. Do you really want that?
Nothing would really have to change. It would be the same strategies just much faster paced so you will have to actually think on the spot. Also it might not even be as big of a deal as people are making it up to be, it could simply be a cool down added to moves to force you to have to choose a move in a limited time.

Also the meta is always changing and there is always something big to "shake things up" which I think is pretty cool. Unova was the "Weather Wars" and featured a lot of Pokemon people use competitively such as that grass puff Pokemon and Ferrothorn which=pain, Kalos has Fairy type, Mega Evolutions, and Talonflame. And Sun/Moon has Z-Moves, so things are always being "shaken up", this would just be the next step and it will be big and I think competitive players will enjoy it as it would likely open up more strategical possibilities

Nothing would really have to change. It would be the same strategies just much faster paced so you will have to actually think on the spot.

Thinking on the spot is a completely different game from the turn base game we all know.
A game doesn't need to change its core design and foundation for the sake of change, it has to use that foundation to build upon it because changing the roots will make everything else collapse. The turned based system is the foundation of pokemon and should not be changed, a change will result in destroying whats been built for the past 20 years. It's not simply shaking things up this time.

A Final Fantasy-esque ATB system could work if done properly ... heck, any system could work when done properly. But the more it digresses from the current system that we know and love (or hate) the more work it puts on the developers.

Of course, if it fixes some of the things that are broken/unbalanced in the metagame, that would be good. What is the point of using your favorite Pokemon (even fully evolved Pokemon) if the same team loadouts are just going to keep stomping them one Gen after another?

Anyone knows if there there multiple sources or leakers that say the battle system is going to change? or is it just one source/leaker?

I honestly wouldn't mind a change to the battle system yeah it's not broken but that doesn't mean it can't be improved. These past few gens have proven that change can be good and I know some people don't want change but you never know if you don't try. Recent games like Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey shows that change can be for the better, and at the very least why not give it a shot.

I honestly wouldn't mind a change to the battle system yeah it's not broken but that doesn't mean it can't be improved. These past few gens have proven that change can be good and I know some people don't want change but you never know if you don't try. Recent games like Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey shows that change can be for the better, and at the very least why not give it a shot.
Those cases are not change. Those cases are actually the franchise returning to an older formula.

Anyone knows if there there multiple sources or leakers that say the battle system is going to change? or is it just one source/leaker?

As far as I've seen it's really only the one source, but that source also knows another source and they both seem to agree. So It's mainly coming form a single source, but with the agreement of another. Take that as you will tho. It's not a piece of info coming from multiple sources that are completely separate so it may end up being false and the 2 sources just don't know for sure yet.

A Final Fantasy-esque ATB system could work if done properly ... heck, any system could work when done properly. But the more it digresses from the current system that we know and love (or hate) the more work it puts on the developers.

Of course, if it fixes some of the things that are broken/unbalanced in the metagame, that would be good. What is the point of using your favorite Pokemon (even fully evolved Pokemon) if the same team loadouts are just going to keep stomping them one Gen after another?
Not every Pokemon can be competitively viable. Even with this hypothetical new system, some Pokemon will be better than others. That's the way it is.

About the combat system and "changes". I haven't played these games personally, but both Final Fantasy and Fallout where originally turn based I believe. But now they are both real time but with "slow mo abilities" that slows things down so you have time to "make a move", so something similar could be done with Pokémon. Basically it is real time but you can "pause" it so you can think

Those cases are not change. Those cases are actually the franchise returning to an older formula.
In what way. I don't remember there being another open world zelda game anywhere near to the extent of breath of the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom