• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation 8 Rumours/Fakes/Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a friendly reminder to please keep rumours under spoiler tags, especially ones with a lot of information. This is to prevent clutter and other problems like lag.
--------
Marble has so many ridiculous points that I can't but wonder if it was a parody of leaks. First there's deleting more than half the dex from the game, then retconning a type only to replace it with two types that are practically the same. It sounds so far-fetched I can't take it seriously ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
I know those leaks are most likely fake, but I would honestly not mind them removing the flying type and replacing it with something like wind/air type. It makes sense in my head. With that said, I really hope the next region is a cold one. I need a good dose of snow after my vacation in Alola and Hoenn (to a lesser extent).

Yeah whatever that is, it's not for the new game. The Switch does have the ability to do AR. And no I'm not sure there is a mic in it. This is likely them just tooling around with stuff and. It something that'll be in the games anytime soon.

Personally I don’t think those two leaks are real, however I still think we need to keep an open mind. You can’t say “it’s fake” just because you don’t like it or it sounds too ridiculous to you...

For example here is a leak that sounds absolutely ridiculous

• The next games will not in fact be follow ups to X and Y. Gamefreak is going right into Generarion 7
  • The games will be called Sun and Moon and the region will be based on Hawaii
  • There will be no more Gyms. Instead they will be replaced by another system called trials. There will be a Dark type one.
  • The starters will be an archer owl, wrestling cat, and singing Seal
  • The legendary Pokémon will have a common prevolution
  • Zygarde will get new forms. One is a small dog, the other is a giant mecha
  • The new battle gimmick is super moves. The player character will dance before the Pokémon uses these moves
  • Red and Blue show up in the game. Also Colress
  • There will be “alien Pokémon” from other worlds that don’t even look like Pokémon. One will be a bunch of wires for example. Another one will be a buff mosquito
  • New forms for old Pokémon like Delta Pokémon (different types)
  • There will be no new Mega Evolutions
  • There will be two evil teams in the game
  • These games will have follow up versions but nor sequels. In those games there will be a new evil team made up of all the old team leaders called Rainbow Rocket
That does sound ridiculous. However it doesn’t completely revamp the game system to the point of unrecognizable. A believable leak will have some crazy sounding stuff, but it will still seem like a Pokémon game. If there are a lot of differences then it’s just obviously fake.

I also don't think that they would give another character the name Alder (which is the name of BW1 Unova's champion) unless they are the same person, and I don't think that the Alder we know will ever be a professor
This is actually flawed logic. Alder is his English name. His Japanese name is Adeku. So they wouldn’t avoid using alder in the Japanese game for that reason. The anime has already done that kind f thing already so I doubt the games would avoid it. Alder is a type of tree so it fits the whole profoessor spiel of naming them after trees.

This is actually flawed logic. Alder is his English name. His Japanese name is Adeku. So they wouldn’t avoid using alder in the Japanese game for that reason. The anime has already done that kind f thing already so I doubt the games would avoid it. Alder is a type of tree so it fits the whole profoessor spiel of naming them after trees.
The translators aren't stupid. Considering the big role that Alder played in BW, they will certainly notice when another character is given the same name. Though, the main reason why I think that this leak is fake is because of the titles "Unity" and "Freedom, which could be interpreted by the media as political, and I don't think GF wants that kind of attention directed at them.

The translators aren't stupid. Considering the big role that Alder played in BW, they will certainly notice when another character is given the same name. Though, the main reason why I think that this leak is fake is because of the titles "Unity" and "Freedom, which could be interpreted by the media as political, and I don't think GF wants that kind of attention directed at them.
Actually it would probably just be a different name in English. Or they wouldn’t care. Plenty of people share names. I have the same name as a singer. Should I nt have that name? There are two Mannings in football. Should one not be allowed to have the name? (And yes I know they’re related)

Admittedly unity and freedom do sound a bit political. But they also sound a lot like something you would hear in series like Pokémon. Actually sounds more digimon like to me but considering recent games the two series can cross.

I know the media has been hard on pokemon, but isn't that overthinking them a bit? I mean X and Y literally had death and casualties of war, and they haven't said a word.

Actually it would probably just be a different name in English. Or they wouldn’t care. Plenty of people share names. I have the same name as a singer. Should I nt have that name? There are two Mannings in football. Should one not be allowed to have the name? (And yes I know they’re related)

Admittedly unity and freedom do sound a bit political. But they also sound a lot like something you would hear in series like Pokémon. Actually sounds more digimon like to me but considering recent games the two series can cross.
I do agree that they could give Professor Alder a different English name. Proton's English name is Lance you know.
I know the media has been hard on pokemon, but isn't that overthinking them a bit? I mean X and Y literally had death and casualties of war, and they haven't said a word.
That was more subverted. Pokemon still tries to appeal to kids. Having these titles would bring bad PR and I don't think that GameFreak wants that kind of attention.

Went to that ask me anything thing again, and now this guy really isn't even trying. Says the starters are a panda, a sheep, and a crab, but their typings make little to know sense. Says the panda would become grass/steel, the sheep fire/poison, and the crab water/ice. He just threw random type combos together.

That was more subverted. Pokemon still tries to appeal to kids. Having these titles would bring bad PR and I don't think that GameFreak wants that kind of attention.
That’s actually debatable. You have to consider the difference between Japan and other countries. What might seem unacceptable here might be fine there and completely different . And maybe it’s becaise my family are big on American flags and rights and stuff but I don’t see freedom as a bad word at all. Same with unity. Especially with unity.

I've been reading this forum for ages and this thread has finally gotten me to join.

While watching the beta 64 youtube video of Super Mario Odyssey, the guy mentioned that Nintendo was developing the Switch concurrently with Odyssey. They'd ask what they needed for a certain feature and they'd add it into the switch. This is the reason we have motion controls and HD Rumble. Odyssey Team wanted and needed it.

What that leads me to think is that this same collaboration was going on with GameFreak and what we're referring to as Gen VIII/"The Switch Game". Something kind of clicked when I read the Plus and Minus rumors, because I found it really odd that the Joy-Cons have Plus and Minus buttons instead of Start and Select. Of course, these symbols have been there since at least the Wiimote, but they were always a circular button and never the actual shape. Rereading the Plus and Minus rumors, it states specifically:

- GameFreak were one of the first development studios inside Nintendo to receive Alpha-Prototype hardware, now have been upgraded to the Beta-Prototype hardware above.

- Have a few areas marked out, TONS of concept art traveling between Pokemon Company and
Nintendo Co Ltd

This is speculation on my end, but in development, every choice is considered and examined. I think it's possible that the Plus and Minus functions had some bigger role in the Switch, then allegedly "Fusion". If you're wondering why Game Freak would have the same level of input on the creation of the Switch as the Mario team, all you need to do is look at the game numbers. Pokemon X and Y outsold the flagship Mario game, Super Mario 3D Land, by over 5 million units. The only game that came close to any of the Pokemon games outside of it was Mario Kart 7. If Nintendo wanted legitimacy that this was a console that would work as both a console and a handheld, it needed their support. In fact, I want to take this a bit further.

I think the reason we have the Switch as we know it at all is because of Pokemon. I think Gen V was developed for the 3DS and for whatever reason, was released on the DS. I think that Pokemon X and Y are running on a system that was originally going to be for the Wii U.

Look at the release dates: Pokemon BW are released Sept 2010. 3DS is released Feb 2011. BW feature some stunning bridges and effects. I recently got a DS Action Replay in order to get the Victini event. Within the code is a working system to alter the camera and view. The fully animated Sprites. The only new pokemon. The stark and simple names of Black and White. A new region not based in Japan. These were not supposed to be the endings of an era. They were supposed to be the start of one.

Likewise, the Wii U came out on November 2012, a few months after Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 were released. A year prior the Pokedex 3D was released solely showcasing Pokemon from Black and White rendered in full 3D forms. It was eventually upgraded to include all Pokemon at the time, but that they chose to start with Black and White was telling. Nintendo expected to sell 5.5 million units of the Wii U its first fiscal year, but when they saw how things were going, they lowered their estimates to 4 million. It couldn't even reach that and ended up selling only 3.5 million units. Pokemon X and Y sold 16.2 million copies as of today. Even if everyone had bought both versions at twice the price, that's still less than what it's gone on to make.

Making 3D models is a lot of work. Developing 721, not including megas or overworld ones, and giving them each their own animations, multiple animations, takes a lot of resources. Especially when you can just release sprites with 3D effects that don't slow the handheld system down and almost make the system's supposed feature almost unusable in double battles. But if instead you're developing it for a console that can stream the games to a handheld device? Instead of assuming Game Freak is bad at optimization, I think it's much more likely that they developed an engine for a system that was supposed to be their big debut. There is so much detail and when you see the models uncompressed in Citra, it's truly an achievement. Instead, they saw the Wii U failing and threw together what they could for a 3DS release. Why else would they be waiting for the Switch's sales before fully forging ahead on something that is so clearly catered to specifically them?

The sad thing is now they're in a bit of a tough spot. Imagine how amazing the Wii U game would look in comparison to the sprite based handheld, especially if it had the games battle graphics everywhere? Instead, we've seen them do 3D models on a handheld now and a 3D world isn't enough to sell itself. Then Nintendo releases Breath of the Wild and Odyssey. I imagine they are in a very tough spot.

However.

I don't believe this game will be rushed if it comes out in 2018. If my theories are right, they've been working on and refining the ideas for this game for ages. I imagine Kalos was always going to be Gen VI, though I'm imagining its story and effects were compromised. I don't believe Alola was always going to be Gen VII. This is where I get back to Plus and Minus. I'm going to copy the whole post here and then explain my thoughts:

Re-reading this, after hearing about Nintendo's upcoming "Fusion" project (ALSO A RUMOR), kind of makes this rumor seem more likely wouldn't you think? What are your thoughts?
Here is the rumor for those who have yet to see it.

- GameFreak were one of the first development studios inside Nintendo to receive Alpha-Prototype hardware, now have been upgraded to the Beta-Prototype hardware above.

- Have a few areas marked out, TONS of concept art traveling between Pokemon Company and
Nintendo Co Ltd.

- GameFreak plans to completely overhaul the basic systems of battle, simplifying the process.

- The development team is “going to put a lot of ideas they have wanted to do for years in this game”.

- Two versions already have code names, possibly final: Pokemon Plus and Pokemon Minus.

- Theme is “Old Tradition VS New Exploration”

- New region, no name yet, is based on South East Asia with one large peninsula and many smaller islands.

- Three new starters with no names: Water evolves into Water/Steel and is a squat, teardrop shaped humanoid that has a jar filled with on its head as it evolves it grows taller and the jar bigger until it needs another set of arms to hold it on it’s head. Fire evolves into Fire/Fairy and is a tiny cute goat with fire blowing out of its horns, it’s horns and look evolves more menacing until it has curly ram like horns and a motorcycle hot-rod-like look. Grass evolves into a Grass/Electric and starts with a leap for a face with a nubby root as a body and evolves until it grows into an electric producing palm tree with each flower petal having a different face.

- The main legendary for Pokemon Plus is a Shi Foo Lion-looking Psychic/Ground-type that has multiple faces, the Pokemon Minus legendary is a Ghost/Fairy type that has two dashes for eyes and is a hurricane-like appendages with many arms and hands.

- More traditional Pokemon-like gameplay will be on the Handheld controller while an all new gameplay aspect will be on the Terminal unit.

- The “Pokken Fighers” render that was teased was running on Alpha kits, Beta kits now have advance cell shading. Going for very detailed “living anime” look.

- The new “Team” villains are described as a bunch of “Sohei Zelots”-types who have discovered the player’s best friend as a reincarnation of a special type of person who only is alive every 100 years. They believe the old system where people were given a Pokemon egg and they stick to that Pokemon until they die and who’s function in society dictate what role that person is. They are against the “modern” trend of Pokemon Trainers and capturing multiple Pokemon and are making a holy pilgrimage to evoke the old Legendaries to turn everything back to normal. They keep the player away from their friend, saying the special one (who can do amazing things like mega evolve Pokemon without the use of a mega ring) only love is that of Pokemon and not people. It is planned to be reveal later that for the special one to fulfill their role in society they must be mortally sacrificed to awaken the legendaries.

- Routes connection the island together are water bridges but clumps of island are connected together by underwater tunnels.

- There is a “Stone Slowking” statue that is a parody of the Reclining Buddha at Wat Pho, Thailand.

- Many Pokemon from Hoenn and Sinnoh will make a return.

- Variety of Pokemon Gyms, one is a mail system that only uses flying types and focuses on sky battles. One only uses baby Pokemon, one is implied to be a real vampire and uses Ghost and Dark Pokemon. There is also a military like leader who uses Fire and Steel Pokemon.

Remember, this was all still in the concept stage. I think based on all of that, they split this game up. What were once the islands connecting to the peninsula, we now have Alola. Along with that, we have the legendaries that evolved to become Solgaleo and Lunala. We obviously still have the traditional gameplay. There's also the theme of old tradition vs. new exploration. While this isn't a direct translation. We have the Trials and Kukui's desire to form a league. This is also present with Guzma's rejection as a Captain and Lusamine's obsession with searching for Ultra Beasts. It shows us the consequences of both tradition and experimentation without really choosing a side as to which is better. People benefit from both. Now, that doesn't mean I expect a new theme with the Switch game. Instead, I think what we see in Sun and Moon are echoes of what's been left behind from the new game. (Total side note: I find this weirdly comforting. That if you take something and build on top of it, you can't really destroy what was there.) I think Yungoos supports this theory.

While it's totally possible the Switch Game will be based on South East Asia, I think the major takeaway is: They removed the islands from the Peninsula. With current theories going around, including the Oricorio and Tapu Bulu one, I find it worthwhile to point out that Spain is also located on a Peninsula.

Anywayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, those are my thoughts and since everyone keeps talking about the anime even though that would be better in the Switch thread *cough* *cough* I thought now is as good a time as any to post regarding this rumor/leak/whatever.

I've been reading this forum for ages...

I totally just posted that without rereading what I wrote as a whole so if it veers wildly off topic I apologize. I've just had a lot of thoughts and no outlet haha.

I totally just posted that without rereading what I wrote as a whole so if it veers wildly off topic I apologize. I've just had a lot of thoughts and no outlet haha.

Also in regards to Pokedex 3D, what I never said, but meant to, was that choosing only Black and White to start it off was an odd choice. They could have slapped Pikachu and Gen 1, said they were going in order, and everyone would have been happy. However, I think that the Abyssal Ruins had to do with the Kalos War and the regions were possibly connected. France and America share a long and meaningful history, so it would have made perfect sense to connect a "war" between Unova and Kalos.

Also in regards to Pokedex 3D, what I never said, but meant to, was that choosing only Black and White to start it off was an odd choice. They could have slapped Pikachu and Gen 1, said they were going in order, and everyone would have been happy. However, I think that the Abyssal Ruins had to do with the Kalos War and the regions were possibly connected. France and America share a long and meaningful history, so it would have made perfect sense to connect a "war" between Unova and Kalos.

Also Dream Radar only being on 3DS now that I think about it also hints at Black and White being conceptualized as the 3DS gen.

nintendo europe hinting that the game will be out in the next 12 months
DTncj9tXkAA4UEE.jpg:large

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom