• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VII confirmed!

I don't mind a massive pokédex as long as the new Pokémon are the majority or are super common and easy to get. B2W2's large pokédex was fine with me because the Unova Pokémon took up half of the pokédex and were still the main focus. XY's bugged me because Kalos Pokémon weren't even close to holding the majority (Kanto was by a large margin) and in some areas you couldn't even encounter Kalos pokemon. Not only that, Kanto legendaries outnumbered the Kalos ones (not including mythical Pokémon). To me it didn't feel like the new Pokémon were the focus in their debut games. Now part of the problem of course is the small number, but it feels like they didn't even try.

Last edited:
Judging by what I heard, it sounds like there is more than one pokedex which sounds interesting. I guess we are either getting two pokedexes for the four islands or one pokedex for each island.

I saw someone mention the man made island with the big white building. I really think that the island will house the Pokemon League. It's the only logical place where it can be located. So, I really hope that Victory Road is through a house! :)

I saw someone mention the man made island with the big white building. I really think that the island will house the Pokemon League. It's the only logical place where it can be located. So, I really hope that Victory Road is through a house! :)
Player: *Finds an item on the floor, picks up the pearl*
*House alarm system goes off*

That new map looks like the half of the world. I am afraid we won't have a room for another region. Maybe another planet.
Isn't another planet another region? :p

So Marshadow is located on Mars and the other Alchemy legendaries on their respective planets? :p

Region size isn't everything.

The that so many people consider johto their favorite region is a pretty good indicator of that.
In fact, if anything, smaller regions like Johto, Kanto and Unova are preferred by the fandom. Game Freak has right to make it smaller.

In fact, if anything, smaller regions like Johto, Kanto and Unova are preferred by the fandom. Game Freak has right to make it smaller.
I've seen many complaints thrown at both Hoenn and Sinnoh over the years. Region being too large has never been one of them.

I've seen many complaints thrown at both Hoenn and Sinnoh over the years. Region being too large has never been one of them.
If we are going to Kalos post-game, it would make sense to have a smaller region. Also, I think the League should be on the equivalent of Mauna Loa.

To think we are going back to Kalos in SM is a very random guess. Kalos is is too big for a Postgame region.

As many fans do, I have been analysing the map now for quite a while. Maybe the house in the south-east island is the Kukui Lab?

(We don't even have Ribbons for the first three classes of Contests in Hoenn anymore so why hide those in ORAS?)
Space, maybe? I dunno!

I dunno what to add to the conversation outside this for now, but I do have to ask. In the end, who do you please the most - those wanting a large and diverse Pokédex full of many Generations' worth of Pokémon, or those that want a pure Pokédex filled with Pokémon only from that region? Somewhere in the middle would be ideal, I guess... It just depends on how much they want to expand the Pokédex this time around. I'm not holding out on any guesses until we get more information dumps.

Space, maybe? I dunno!

I dunno what to add to the conversation outside this for now, but I do have to ask. In the end, who do you please the most - those wanting a large and diverse Pokédex full of many Generations' worth of Pokémon, or those that want a pure Pokédex filled with Pokémon only from that region? Somewhere in the middle would be ideal, I guess... It just depends on how much they want to expand the Pokédex this time around. I'm not holding out on any guesses until we get more information dumps.
Seconded. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Kukui say that there were lots of rare Pokemon in Alola? But obviously, they're not going to pull a Gen 5 on us, because we've seen some existing mons, like Pikachu in concept art, plus the Salamence and Gengar in the legendary trailer.

And don't forget Rotomdex (even though that in itself is very rare).

Makes me kinda curious if the Rotom at Professor Oak's lab is gonna make a comeback to be the Pokédex for the new season of the anime...

I don't want a Pokédex filled with only one generation of Pokémon, I think a gimmick like BW can only be pulled off once. I just don't want another XY where the new Pokémon were crowded out by older ones. Generation VI Pokémon were only the fourth common Pokémon in their debut games. If they had pulled about 70 Pokémon from every generation we would have still had a very large Pokédex of 420 with a much more diverse pool to choose from than the whopping 111 Generation I Pokémon in the Kalos Pokédex. Like I said, I don't mind large Pokédexes. Just not when they come at the expense of the new Pokémon loosing out on the spotlight that they deserve.

I feel like that part of their overshadowed presence is to do with mechanics that they couldn't take advantage of, too, considering that only Diancie of all Gen VI Pokémon got a Mega Evolution last Generation. You'd think that there would be several more for a Generation that introduces a mechanic that ends up being used for past Pokémon much more often... That's kinda what I hope is changed in the Alola Pokédex in addition to a greater presence of new Pokémon in general.

The sad part is that no matter what, Kalos loses out in all respects because it can't even draw enough Pokémon to match the rest of the Regions without basically transferring their entire Pokédex over!

I think another problem was that they've stopped making cross-gen evolutions sans Sylveon. The Johto and Sinnoh pokédexes were able to work around their smaller amounts of new Pokémon by organically pulling old Pokémon because they needed them to evolve into their new evolutions.

Can't help but be annoyed by the attention the Gen I got in XY. It's like GF can't realize that they have 20 years of the franchise to work with other than when games are getting remade. Whenever there's not a remake the promotional material and merch almost always has a disproportionate amount of Generation I Pokémon in it. Like yeah that's where the franchise started but they have so much more to pull from and they just don't.

Back
Top Bottom