• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VII confirmed!

And I can't see a main game for Pokemon next year, which would on the 3DS. That would divert attention away from the Switch which would be a bad move if the Switch is the next generation for Nintendo. So 2018 will be the next main games for Pokemon, will be Generation 8 and presumably on the Switch.
No that won't happen. Gen 7 will have one more pair of games which will be on the 3DS. Nintendo Switch can wait. It can start having spin-off games before gen 8 comes. And no, we are not skipping another year since we have done that already.

No that won't happen. Gen 7 will have one more pair of games which will be on the 3DS. Nintendo Switch can wait. It can start having spin-off games before gen 8 comes. And no, we are not skipping another year since we have done that already.
There was so many evidence for a Z at one point. Yet that did not happen. There isn't even any evidence for another pair of Gen VII games at this point. So why would there be?

Just because we had a gap year already doesn't mean that we can't have one again. If a gap year results in possibly quality, just my opinion based on all the news so far, games like Sun and Moon, then we should have more gap years.

The wait would be terrible, yes. But it would be worth it.

I can see it happening. And I can't see a main game for Pokemon next year, which would on the 3DS. That would divert attention away from the Switch which would be a bad move if the Switch is the next generation for Nintendo. So 2018 will be the next main games for Pokemon, will be Generation 8 and presumably on the Switch.

This isn't about it being a bad move or not, it's about making a console game out of something that has only been a handheld game so far. The resolution has to be higher and the double screen is gone. Wouldn't be surprised if they have to make all the Pokémon models all over again, to make them look good on a bigger screen.

Also the battery life is rumored to only be three hours. Releasing a handheld game on a handheld with battery life like that, while you can also release it on the (new) 3DS with 4-8 hours battery life, could also be considered a bad move. At this moment the (new) 3DS is a better handheld than the Switch is going to be I think. And Nintendo themselves have literally said "Nintendo Switch is a home gaming system first and foremost” when they were asked if the Switch was going to impact 3DS sales.

Also, there's this:
GBA: Launched in 2001, RS was the first main series game in 2002/2003. Crystal released on the GBC in the West in 2001.
DS: Launched in 2004, DP was the first main series game in 2006/2007. Emerald released on the GBA in 2004/2005.
3DS: Launched in 2011, XY was the first main series game in 2013. BW released in the West in 2011 and BW2 released in all regions in 2012.

Everytime a new handheld came out, it took GF about two years to release a game on it. I doubt this time will be any different.

Last edited:
Guys, what if they release the Switch bundled with Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness! :O

It could be pre-installed. Just imagine how many people would freak and rush to buy the system! :O

I can see it happening. And I can't see a main game for Pokemon next year, which would on the 3DS. That would divert attention away from the Switch which would be a bad move if the Switch is the next generation for Nintendo. So 2018 will be the next main games for Pokemon, will be Generation 8 and presumably on the Switch.

I have been hoping for Pokémon Colosseum and Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness to appear on the eShop for a very long time now. if they managed to port it onto the Nintendo switch (although they wouldn't need to, simply putting it on the eShop, and yes I'm assuming the switch will still have an eShop, will be enough), will make me very happy.

I also hope we'll be seeing a great, new spin off Pokémon title for the Nintendo Switch as well.

This isn't about it being a bad move or not, it's about making a console game out of something that has only been a handheld game so far. The resolution has to be higher and the double screen is gone. Wouldn't be surprised if they have to make all the Pokémon models all over again, to make them look good on a bigger screen.

Also the battery life is rumored to only be three hours. Releasing a handheld game on a handheld with battery life like that, while you can also release it on the (new) 3DS with 4-8 hours battery life, could also be considered a bad move. At this moment the (new) 3DS is a better handheld than the Switch is going to be I think. And Nintendo themselves have literally said "Nintendo Switch is a home gaming system first and foremost” when they were asked if the Switch was going to impact 3DS sales.

Also, there's this:

Everytime a new handheld came out, it took GF about two years to release a game on it. I doubt this time will be any different.
The battery life could easily be expanded by the time a new Pokemon main game(s) arrives for the Switch. It'll also be about two years, 20 months to be exact, when the main game(s) arrive.

I am expecting a November 2018 release for the next main Pokemon game(s) with a reveal in February-March 2018. This is all just my speculation.

I have been hoping for Pokémon Colosseum and Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness to appear on the eShop for a very long time now. if they managed to port it onto the Nintendo switch (although they wouldn't need to, simply putting it on the eShop, and yes I'm assuming the switch will still have an eShop, will be enough), will make me very happy.

I also hope we'll be seeing a great, new spin off Pokémon title for the Nintendo Switch as well.
Those two spin-offs are the only two left that hasn't been re-released in some way for either the 3DS, the 3DS Virtual Console or the WiiU Virtual Console.

This is not counting Stadium 1+2 and Battle Revolution, because those three needed to connect to the main games at that time. And also not counting Conquest and PokePark 2, of which PokePark 2 will probably be re-released soon due to PokePark already being re-released. I don't know about Conquest though.

Colosseum and XD had a whole story behind them, so they could easily be brought back.

I am also hoping for something new. They could do so much. But it all depends on how the Switch performs.

The polygon models are still there and they don't need to remake them. They just need to create new "textures" for the models (or whatever I should call it) looking more HD. Pokemon Go did the same. Modelling the pokemon was the most time costing process in Gen 6 so it shouldn't take long enough.

Like said that is only a rumor. But it shouldn't be that much of a problem since the normal 3DS's battery also was 3-5 hours long and it was still fine back in XY's release. Also them saying that it is more of a stationary system is just because they want to save the 3DS from falling selling numbers, especially since Sun/Moon and christmas is ahead of us.

Also, there's this:

Fall 2018 would still make sense. Between March 2017 and said date there is at least 1 and a half year in between.
The GBA came out on March 2001, while Ruby/Sapphire came on November 2002. DP also came 1 year and 9-10 months after the DS came out. Releasing a new pokemon gen in fall 2018 would fall under the same time span.

I'm not 100% sure what the next game will be but I'm positive it'll be a 3DS game. There's no sense in them rushing out a new generation if they intended to move on to 8th gen on the 3DS immediately after, especially when we could've gotten Z this year instead. Making Sun and Moon this year is a sign that we'll be playing Pokemon on 3DS for at least one more game. Now as far as what that game is? It might not be too late for a return to Kalos. SM might not even need a third version, and it's too soon for a DP remake (I imagine that will be in 8th gen), meanwhile XY really looked like it was setting up for something bigger in Kalos and there's still room for more even with Sun and Moon continuing some 6th gen elements (What's the connection between Xerneas/Yveltal and Zygarde? What about the backstory behind Eternal Flower Floette? Plus a whole lot of other region specific things that can't be resolved by exploring a completely different region). Plus with the changes made in 7th gen, it'd be a little more interesting of an experience than the usual third version or sequel.

Man why do we gotta discuss the next generation and the new system before we've even gotten to play the current one coming out? @_@

Blame Game Freak for releasing a new generation just before a new console is coming out. Naturally when a new console is coming out it gets people talking about future games for it.

I'm not sure if it would be Colosseum or XD: Gale of Darkness.....

but I think it would be really cool if they bundled the Switch with a bunch of virtual console games. (that aren't nes games :p)

I think something like that would add some appeal beyond just including some party game.

Those two spin-offs are the only two left that hasn't been re-released in some way for either the 3DS, the 3DS Virtual Console or the WiiU Virtual Console.

This is not counting Stadium 1+2 and Battle Revolution, because those three needed to connect to the main games at that time. And also not counting Conquest and PokePark 2, of which PokePark 2 will probably be re-released soon due to PokePark already being re-released. I don't know about Conquest though.

Colosseum and XD had a whole story behind them, so they could easily be brought back.

I am also hoping for something new. They could do so much. But it all depends on how the Switch performs.

Poor Pokemon Channel...

Also, it wouldn't make much sense to release Colosseum and XD by themselves. They were made so people could get the rest of the Gen 2 Pokemon back in Gen 3. If they were to be released on the eShop (or whatever future variant if they decide to scrap that), then it'd be when the time comes to release RSE and FRLG on the eShop.

There was so many evidence for a Z at one point. Yet that did not happen. There isn't even any evidence for another pair of Gen VII games at this point. So why would there be?

Just because we had a gap year already doesn't mean that we can't have one again. If a gap year results in possibly quality, just my opinion based on all the news so far, games like Sun and Moon, then we should have more gap years.

The wait would be terrible, yes. But it would be worth it.
No it wouldn't. SM won't make up for the lack of games for gen 7 if it indeed had two games. Plus it is too early for evidence of new pair of games. Anyway, the fact that other gens have at least 3 to 5 fives is enough to say that gen 7 will have the same. Two games is just too pitiful to be considered a generation.

Pokemon Sun/Moon director on Poke Ride, time difference, side quests, coming up with new Pokemon, more - Nintendo Everything

Hey guys, found a new interview with Masuda and Ohmori!

One question is about SM´s postgame and also about will there be an Elite 4.

N-Zone: What will we waiting for us after the island challenge? Will be there a kind of Elite 4 that we have to beat?

Ohmori: Well, all we can say is that we want players to experience the game for themselves. That said, obviously the goal is to become the island challenge champion. After that, it’s up to the players how they want to keep playing and what they want to experience. We’ve prepared some cool and some funny things, so it’s not the end of the game.

Last edited:
Pokemon Sun/Moon director on Poke Ride, time difference, side quests, coming up with new Pokemon, more - Nintendo Everything

Hey guys, found a new interview with Masuda and Ohmori!

One question is about the the postgame in SM, and also Elite 4.

N-Zone: What will we waiting for us after the island challenge? Will be there a kind of Elite 4 that we have to beat?

Ohmori: Well, all we can say is that we want players to experience the game for themselves. That said, obviously the goal is to become the island challenge champion. After that, it’s up to the players how they want to keep playing and what they want to experience. We’ve prepared some cool and some funny things, so it’s not the end of the game.
It's good to know that there is a at least something, and I didn't expect them to say much if anything about what the post-game content entails. I wonder if "cool" means that the battle facility won't just be a simple battle tower this generation. Also, I'm intrigued to what the words "funny things" entails for the post-game. What would be "funny" and fit post-game in terms of gameplay?

At least this means we're getting a decently meaty post-game, which would be a nice change of pace. But I wonder what they mean by "funny things"? Do they mean like "joke" side-quests? Or maybe it has something to do with Team Skull? I'm not sure what to think, as "funny" can translate in a lot of ways, depending on the situation or even culture. Guess we'll find out soon enough. But I hope this means that our post-game content is pretty substantial, which would be welcoming, since the past few games have been fairly lacking in the post-game department (especially XY). But good find @Meta Boss .

It's good to know that there is a at least something, and I didn't expect them to say much if anything about what the post-game content entails. I wonder if "cool" means that the battle facility won't just be a simple battle tower this generation. Also, I'm intrigued to what the words "funny things" entails for the post-game. What would be "funny" and fit post-game in terms of gameplay?

I think the Facility of SM will be just a Battle Tower clone, tbh.

Don´t forget that the Battle Royal (the new shiny battle style) is located in a separate facility: the Battle Royal Dome. That is the only alternatve Battle Facility that SM will have, I think. It is the "Facility you wouldn´t believe" hinted in XY.

Regarding cool and funny things. I think they are: Zygarde quest, Legendary hunt, encountering a few character from past games, maybe a cool battle with Cynthia, a funny side mission with Looker, and not much more...

Last edited:
Sounds like SM is going to have a considerable amount of post game. That is really good. Of course I don't think it be a huge amount but just enough to keep us busy and occupied while the next pair of gen 7 games is being made.

Last edited:
I don't think there's really anything worthwhile to be gleaned from a statement like, "We've prepared some cool and some funny things." All that tells us is that there will be some post-game content, but I think literally everybody already expected that.

It could still easily be an XY situation.

I don't think there's really anything worthwhile to be gleaned from a statement like, "We've prepared some cool and some funny things." All that tells us is that there will be some post-game content, but I think literally everybody already expected that.

It could still easily be an XY situation.
Exactly the looker missions were kinda funny and an interesting post game story just short this could be the same situation. To be fair why does there have to be a post game? The game tells its story now make a competitive team and fight your friends or catch em all (if starting from scratch could take a couple of weeks)

Back
Top Bottom