• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VII confirmed!

That introduction music and presentation, holy shit. XY had just that white background and the mirror, here we get a video chat with Kukui showing off his Rockruff, probably while the player is travelling to Alola. This game has to have some sort of flaw, either in difficulty or post league content, or SOMETHING, it can't be as good as it looks. This is GF we are talking about.
Well, this is their third attempt on the 3DS. Maybe they've learned from previous attempts and finally learned how to perfect the 3DS's capabilities?

This game has to have some sort of flaw, either in difficulty or post league content
Probably both. The more effort and time they spend developing presentation aspects of the game, and graphics, the less time for implementing extra content and postgame content. Besides, it is a first pair of a generation. Those have never had that much content.

I'm only saying this, because XY's presentation aspects were also very mind blowing at first, and then loook how that turned out: the game was severely criticized for having the weakest amount of content since Gen I (which is definitely an exaggeration, but I've heard people say it).

So I am trying to keep my hype low atm. Until they show us gym leader rematches, or a Battle Frontier, or a PWT, or a cool new sidequest (remember, XY had no sidequest), I will stay cautious. Presentation is important too, but a lot less important compared to content and postgame content.

Last edited:
That introduction music and presentation, holy shit. XY had just that white background and the mirror, here we get a video chat with Kukui showing off his Rockruff, probably while the player is travelling to Alola. This game has to have some sort of flaw, either in difficulty or post league content, or SOMETHING, it can't be as good as it looks. This is GF we are talking about.
It could easily be the plot as well.

Probably both. The more effort and time they spend developing presentation aspects of the game, and graphics, the less time for implementing extra content and postgame content. Besides, it is a first pair of a generation. Those have never had that much content.

I'm betting on this anyway (I wasn't super-impressed by the new video, however), although I would like to think that SM holding a BW-esque position in terms of production chronology (that is, being the second new generation on a single console) is affording them a little extra flourish.

I'm betting on this anyway (I wasn't super-impressed by the new video, however), although I would like to think that SM holding a BW-esque position in terms of production chronology (that is, being the second new generation on a single console) is affording them a little extra flourish.
Exactly. I think one of the reasons so many fans were disappointed with XY, is because the game was VERY overhyped during the pre- release period, due to the revolutionary graphics and presentation aspects (for a Pokemon game). And when people played the game and got used to those presentation aspects and graphics, the lack of content and the weak storyline, is all that was left in people's eyes.

I can very easily see the same thing happening to this game as well, because people are overhyping it already due to the awesome graphics and world scale, etc. And once we get used to those...

You say they could have a little extra fluorish due to this being the second gen on the 3DS, but:

a) I am not sure how much time for extra content they would have for SM, considering the improved graphics. If they reused Gen VI's graphics and world scale, then they could've had room to develop more extra content, but those new awesome graphics will probably take most of their time, once again.

b) Even if they DO have time for a little more extra content than they usually have for an initial pair of a new generation, I don't think it will be enough to satisfy the fans because people are expecting way more than that. People seem to expect SM to have more extra content than even third versions like Emerald or Platinum, simply because it's THE ANNIVERSARY and wynaut.

So, I think many fans are setting themselves up for disappointment (content wise), and I am trying to avoid that as much as possible.

Last edited:
I'm only saying this, because XY's presentation aspects were also very mind blowing at first, and then loook how that turned out: the game was severely criticized for having the weakest amount of content since Gen I (which is definitely an exaggeration, but I've heard people say it).

So I am trying to keep my hype low atm. Until they show us gym leader rematches, or a Battle Frontier, or a PWT, or a cool new sidequest (remember, XY had none), I will stay cautious. Presentation is important too, but a lot less important compared to content and postgame content.
XY did have the Looker sidequest.

XY did have the Looker sidequest.
I don't mean an extra story bit, I meant a side game, like Contests, Pokéathlon, Secret Bases, Funfest Missions, or Pokestar Studios, etc.

XY had none of this. The game did have PR Videos, but it's not really a competition at all.

And, thinking about it, BW were already a step down in this aspect, since Musicals were too basic (and BW2 remedied that by adding Pokestar Studios) but it was still a step up from XY.

(although, to be fair, XY did have Amie minigames, and Super Training minigames, so at least they were solid in this aspect).

Last edited:

So I am trying to keep my hype low atm. Until they show us gym leader rematches, or a Battle Frontier, or a PWT, or a cool new sidequest (remember, XY had none), I will stay cautious. Presentation is important too, but a lot less important compared to content and postgame content.
Nah. XY for me at least, while being a considerable jump in presentation was nothing special and I always likened it to DP in this regard. Unlike DP however it had none of the post league content of the post league island. Same thing with BW, tht also had a good amoint of post league areas and stuff to do. SM so far has a great looking region both as a map and in game, interesting looking Pokemon, greag sounding music, and the premise for a great story. For me the prerelease of SM is on a much higher note, even more then BW.

It could easily be the plot as well.
Even if the 8 badges and the evil team returns, there is a tiki guardian subplot for the islands, the entire zygarde shenanigans going on in the background and your travels are going to be in the company of a talking RotomDex. Its going to be damn hard to screw that up imo.

I don't really care about postgame areas to explore. Sure, they are nice, but I want actual content and features.

I am finding comments around the internet, and people are saying stuff like "the Battle Frontier better be in SM", "I hope there is a Battle Frontier AND a PWT as well.", etc.

People are basically expecting SM (an initial pair of a new generation) to have more content than any third version has ever had, combined. Only because the graphics are awesome and it is the anniversary LOL.

SM could result in one of the biggest disapppointments EVER, not because it's not gonna be a good game, but due to VERY disproportional fan expectations.

Last edited:
SM could result in the biggest disapppointment EVER, not because it's not a good game, but due to disproportional fan expectations.
Don't worry Meta. This isn't the first time some members of the fanbase are making huge expectations, only for them not to come true(i've literally seen people who expected the seven battle frontier facilities from Emerald to show up in XY).

Fun Fact: Bee Flies are known to infiltrate bee hives, lay their eggs there, and their larvae eat up the bee larvae while being taken care of by the bees. Now we know why it's part Fairy-type- its real life inspiration is similar to that of a Changeling Tale

This feels like another situation similar to Spritzee where people are trying to make a Pokemon darker than Game Freak intended; Cutiefly seems far more gentle and innocent going by its official descriptions. Easier to say it's a Fairy using the information that we are told - its connections to emotions and auras is similar to Togetic, Togekiss, Sylveon, Audino and the Ralts line (and maybe some others I'm forgetting). Less important but also a little supportive is the Flabebe line also care for flowers while Cutiefly helps pollinate them (this is a Bug trait too, but it still fits with a Fairy maintaining life/the environment - there's also Xerneas). Its evolution could very well invade Combee nests (or whatever bee Pokemon) and fulfill this "changeling" theory, but right now it doesn't seem to be part of Cutiefly's behaviour and feels like a stretch to me.

From its descriptions I'm more interested if Cutiefly learns Aura Sphere. It would be good coverage against Steel-types for it.

Don't worry Meta. This isn't the first time some members of the fanbase are making huge expectations, only for them not to come true(i've literally seen people who expected the seven battle frontier facilities from Emerald to show up in XY).
I know, this is the classic attitude of our fanbase.

I remember people expecting the Battle Frontier to be added as DLC in ORAS (despite Masuda clearly saying they are against DLC).

Let's not even mention people so adamantly expecting... even DEMANDING Pokemon Z, because Zygarde was in a cave in XY, and looks like a Z.

Even the idea of having a "Delta Z" game, with Kalos and Hoenn both being in.

But this time, this attitude and disproportional fan expectations seems to be multiplied by 10, because it is the "Sacred Anniversary" and, therefore, Game Freak are going to work 10 times harder than usual, and add 10 times more content than usual, and bring back all the forgotten fan- favourite features from past games, like the Battle Frontier, the PWT, Pokemon following behind, Soaring, the DexNav, Secret Bases, etc... While at the same time, also developing a brand new region, new plot, new Pokemon, etc, from scratch. Oh, and also to have Kalos as a post game second region, because Z was never released. Wow...

Why? Because it's the anniversary, and they said it themselves: it ALL comes together, which clearly means ALL the fan favourite features are gonna be in SM! (sarcasm)

Last edited:
@Meta Boss Exaggerating and mocking people's opinions and excitement for the games in the way you are doing isn't really making your point stronger. I agree that people should keep expecations in check sure, but the way you're going about pointing it out is all wrong.

@Meta Boss Exaggerating and mocking people's opinions and excitement for the games in the way you are doing isn't really making your point stronger. I agree that people should keep expecations in check sure, but the way you're going about pointing it out is all wrong.
I want to clarify that I am talking mostly about fans around the internet and youtube, not the people on dedicated forums like Bulbagarden or similar ones. I am talking about fans that are not aware of the effort needed to make a game, and who think that Game Freak implement a feature simply by clapping their hands (which appear to be a majority around the internet).

That said, though, I am only saying this, because it is a story that has repeated too many times (fans being disappointed by their own expectations) and I think they should try to learn based on experience.

Also, I have seen many times how many fans say that Game Freak is purposely trolling them, only because certain feature they expected wasn't implemented, and honestly, I think GF deserve to be defended too (at least partially).

Last edited:
So it appears we're not in Alola yet (possibly on a boat/play on our way) when Professor Kukui first introduces us to Rockruff and talks to us in the new trailer on that interface. Apparently the translation from the trailer says "Hi how are you! It seems the day for your move to Alola region is getting closer!" ... how long do we have to wait? I'm kidding lol, maybe it's just a bad translation but I'm guessing we're instantly going to be there from the get-go, I would love if we actually saw the trainer "arriving", like getting off a boat/plane or something like how in ORAS you got out of the truck (oh how cruel you are Mother lol).

I want to clarify that I am talking mostly about fans around the internet and youtube, not the people on dedicated forums like Bulbagarden or similar ones.

That said, though, I am only saying this, because it is a story that has repeatedtoo many times (fans being disappointed by their own expectations) and I think they should try to learn based on experience.

Even so it's better to not do things like that post because it's only going to upset or annoy people if they think you're making the statements about them or in general.

So it appears we're not in Alola yet (possibly on a boat/play on our way) when Professor Kukui first introduces us to Rockruff and talks to us in the new trailer on that interface. Apparently the translation from the trailer says "Hi how are you! It seems the day for your move to Alola region is getting closer!" ... how long do we have to wait? I'm kidding lol, maybe it's just a bad translation but I'm guessing we're instantly going to be there from the get-go, I would love if we actually saw the trainer "arriving", like getting off a boat/plane or something like how in ORAS you got out of the truck (oh how cruel you are Mother lol).

Yeah given the Shohei trailers it seems like we are moving there. There's also the bird's eye view (sorta) of the first island which looks like it might be a cutscene. The question then is where does the plane land? o_O I can't see an airport on the map.

Even so it's better to not do things like that post because it's only going to upset or annoy people if they think you're making the statements about them or in general.
You are probably right, but I wanted to express my feeling on the matter, that's all.

Yeah given the Shohei trailers it seems like we are moving there. There's also the bird's eye view (sorta) of the first island which looks like it might be a cutscene. The question then is where does the plane land? o_O I can't see an airport on the map.

I would say sea-plane but the harbor on the first island seems to be inaccessible to the player until we circle around the island first at this point? Could be a small helicopter? Or even fly over on a Pokémon? It will be nice to see how we get there.

I would say sea-plane but the harbor on the first island seems to be inaccessible to the player until we circle around the island first at this point? Could be a small helicopter? Or even fly over on a Pokémon? It will be nice to see how we get there.

Oh of couse a sea plane, duh. I'm a dummy. xD

Also do we know if anyone translated the move the koala uses? It looks like Slam or something but haven't seen anywhere say what it was. Looks like Rockruff used Bite (not keen on the new animation).

I'm not too keen on the animation for Bite either, it looked more like Fire Fang aha, and my logic screamed "WHY FIRE FANG ON AN ARCANINE" until I realised it was Bite...

Back
Top Bottom