• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VII confirmed!

How much do you want to bet that Salandit will be a staple Mon in the villain team parties? I mean, Poison-types are very common among bad guys (duh), so what do you think the odds will be of Salandit being a commonplace Mon on even the grunts' teams?

Well, I'd rather they evil team have Sandlit than Koffing or another Pokemon that knows self-destruct and explosion. It's easier to deal with poison than those suicide moves.

Ferrothorn is hurting more from it being a Fire-type than it is from being able to be poisoned by said Fire-type though. Making Poison moves super effective against Steel wouldn't have been overpowered because the Fire typing already beats Steel-types, it would just mean that Salandit could use Choice items without having to predict massively, which probably wouldn't be a big deal. Even making the Poison neutral against Steel-type rather than 2x would have been fine if they did fear it too strong.

The ability is very niche in its targets, which is a little disappointing, but the design is really good and the typing is one I have been vocal about wanting for ages, so don't think I'm hating on it cos I'm not, I love it.

Also anyone else notice that the red lines on its back light up with fire when it attacks? See the bottom right image here for it. Nice little touch.
That fire effect is really cool, more impressive then litten's back spikes that's for sure. Its like the cyndaquil line but designed to look good without the fire always on.
As for it being a niche ability, niches are good. Abilities have never really taken part in the power creep, so adressing all the little nooks and crannies that were ognored and could be abused is a good way of dealing with em then MOAR POWER. If they can give some these abilities to older Pokemon who have beem ignored then they could really shake things up.

I'm sure the Lizard will have low defense or be extremely slow to counter the fact it can poison anything.

While the low Defense I can see, I'm not so sure about the low Speed. Fire-types tend to be fast, and in the trailer it did outspeed both a Lv50 Zubat and Lv50 Skarmory, and both are not exactly slowpokes, especially Zubat. So it might be a quick, somewhat glass cannon Mon, but maybe its Evo will gain some bulk.

That fire effect is really cool, more impressive then litten's back spikes that's for sure. Its like the cyndaquil line but designed to look good without the fire always on.
As for it being a niche ability, niches are good. Abilities have never really taken part in the power creep, so adressing all the little nooks and crannies that were ognored and could be abused is a good way of dealing with em then MOAR POWER. If they can give some these abilities to older Pokemon who have beem ignored then they could really shake things up.

When I say niche I don't mean it will give Salandit a niche in the metagame, I mean the use of the ability isn't going to come up very often as it's situational on something part Fire. If Salandit was pure Poison the ability would be much more useful on it because Steel-types would be more willing to switch in on it (and stay in) more frequently to wall it, but when it's part Fire what Steel-type is realistically going to do that? And why bother stalling something like Skarmory and Ferrothorn when you have Fire Blast? (Not that they would even stay in)

As it is now it's good for like... Heatran, Mega Venusaur and maybe something like Tentacruel (but if you choose to risk a Fire-type against a Water-type that's your choice). It just doesn't have a widespread application on Salandit when Fire moves scare off Steel-types yet the ability wants to lure them in. It's conflicting.

Maybe there is a new fire type move that poisons Pokemon rather then burn em? That would be a good reason for the ability to exist, stacking poison damage goes a long way to a fixed burn damage.

If Venoshock isn't part of that lizard's natural moveset, I'll be severely disappointed. I don't feel like hunting for a TM.

Can we also discuss how on point their music game is this gen? We'll nly got to hear the wild and trainer battle music with lots of other noise on top, but after the July 1st trailer and today's Salandit trailer giving us crystal clear audio, its clear that they got the old soundtype back for good. Gen 6 was a real step down in this department, the weird elctronic drone sound for battles was too different for my tastes, while the overworld tracks really did nothing me bar some key tracks like route 19 and the victory road. Even the route and town music we hears in the Treehouse portion with all that talking over it was outstanding to listen to, being perfectly jaunty and with a tropic feel for that extra immersion. Serioisly can't wait for the more serious stuff like gym battles or the evil team.

I really like how Salandit looks in the game. The way its sitting is just so cute and I like how the red marks on its back lite up when it attacks. It's just so cool and cute. I'll need to see what it evolves into, but it definitely has a solid chance of being on my team due to its cool design and type combination.

A few things...

I agree, the music is FANTASTIC. I'm totally diggin Alola's sound from start to finish and this makes a difference.

I don't mind that Corrosion might not make a dent in the meta-game while used by Salandit, but if it's given to another Pokemon, which is totally possible, it could be great. So there's still hope. And Salandit looks like the type of Pokemon to evolve at least once, which is awesome.

Lastly, I love the design from his fire salamander mark to what I assume is like a trash bag mask and gloves, making him feel like a bandit. I'd love to see his evolution drop the mask for a bright red head and instead Cary around a trash bag of poison, or something to that affect. Either way I'm impressed by the design in its entirety.

I don't mind Zubat because Repels are cheap and Crobat is ace. ;)
But if you use Repels, you might not run into a shiny. I found that out when I was playing Platinum. ("Great, stupid Zubat in the Lost Tower... why is it so dark looking? ERMAHGERD, IZ A SHERNY!!")

As for the new reveal, I like it. I like it a lot. It's freakishly ugly/cute. I may pop one on my team in Sun while I stick with Fire kitteh in Moon, just to mix things up. My poor Bisharp will hate the thing, too be sure but I really like it.

I like Salandit's uniqueness, but I am still sticking with Litten. I hope that a different Poison-type is shown soon. Poison/Steel would be intoxicating. :p

It seems GF is better at making new Pokemon competitive-wise after each subsequent generation. Ever since gen V, there is nothing to hold back the powercreep, or was it gen IV?!
After looking at Salandit, I don't know which type is more evil, Dark or Poison?

Last edited:
Salandit is my precious poisonous fire baby. Two of my greatest loves have come together.

And it looks like it should be a dark type, so technically, all three of my favorite types have made a precious baby.

And after reading it's descrition on the site... Imma need me a lady. Come, Belladonna. Together we shall rule. First Alola, then the world!

Does anyone else feel the Sugimori art this gen is lacking? There's some like Komala, Salandit, Yungoos, Bruxish.. where I think the art looks pretty bad and also completely flat, yet then you see the designs in the game and they look so much better. I don't recall ever feeling like this about the art before and have always liked it.

I've felt all the art's been pretty decent save for Zygard's dog, core, and cell forms but that's just personal preference because I hate how all three of those designs look so it would take a lot of effort to make me like art of them. Though rowlet does have this creepy glazed over look that Natu and Xatu lack, and they're the two pokemon I'd expect to have a glazed over 'my god I see everything' look.

Speaking of the ZyFamily, am J the only one who thinks its apparent that the last gen 6 game got cancalled after their release? Serious art clash between them and the gen 7 Pokemon, even Magearna falls into gen 6 artstyle principles. The new Pokemon all have a flatter look, with solid colors instead of the pseudo brush look that gen 6 retains on some level, much smoother lineart that is distinctly non-Sugimori and more static posing, while the ZyFamily still has the distinct look of being Sugimori drawn. I know it sounds like a stretch, but they never retained a Pokemon's artstyle from the previou gen for preevos or evlutions, and I doubt formes deserve the same treatment.

Speaking of the ZyFamily, am J the only one who thinks its apparent that the last gen 6 game got cancalled after their release? Serious art clash between them and the gen 7 Pokemon, even Magearna falls into gen 6 artstyle principles. The new Pokemon all have a flatter look, with solid colors instead of the pseudo brush look that gen 6 retains on some level, much smoother lineart that is distinctly non-Sugimori and more static posing, while the ZyFamily still has the distinct look of being Sugimori drawn. I know it sounds like a stretch, but they never retained a Pokemon's artstyle from the previou gen for preevos or evlutions, and I doubt formes deserve the same treatment.

Aren't pokemon drawed by a different person/team ? If I remember well, in a 2010 inteview , Masuda said that at the start of each new generation they hire many different people, of course directed by Sugimori, to draw the new generation pokemon. He said said (don't remember if the number was an example or how many they were at BW's developement time), in a team of ten artists each one tries to draw a maximum of 10 pokemon and if they had a an inspiration block they can consult Sugimori for help. Just to say that it isn't always Sugimori who draws the artworks (I think that all the important legendary pokemon have their artworks drawed by him) or some using his style and that's normal that there's an art style difference between the new pokemon.

Aren't pokemon drawed by a different person/team ? If I remember well, in a 2010 inteview , Masuda said that at the start of each new generation they hire many different people, of course directed by Sugimori, to draw the new generation pokemon. He said said (don't remember if the number was an example or how many they were at BW's developement time), in a team of ten artists each one tries to draw a maximum of 10 pokemon and if they had a an inspiration block they can consult Sugimori for help. Just to say that it isn't always Sugimori who draws the artworks (I think that all the important legendary pokemon have their artworks drawed by him) or some using his style and that's normal that there's an art style difference between the new pokemon.
That is correct. However like you said, usually the starters and legendaries are his designs, and considering how this generation doesn't seem to be the case, unless he seriously changed up his drawing style, it would be weirs for Zygarde to use his old artstyle compared to the new one. Even if nothing was Sugimori over the last gen and this one, there is still a huge difference in artstyles between the Alola Mon and Zygarde,which leads meto wonder if.

Back
Top Bottom