• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VII confirmed!

Speaking of the ZyFamily, am J the only one who thinks its apparent that the last gen 6 game got cancalled after their release? Serious art clash between them and the gen 7 Pokemon, even Magearna falls into gen 6 artstyle principles. The new Pokemon all have a flatter look, with solid colors instead of the pseudo brush look that gen 6 retains on some level, much smoother lineart that is distinctly non-Sugimori and more static posing, while the ZyFamily still has the distinct look of being Sugimori drawn. I know it sounds like a stretch, but they never retained a Pokemon's artstyle from the previou gen for preevos or evlutions, and I doubt formes deserve the same treatment.

Is it not possible that the difference was deliberate? I mean, why draw the Zygarde family in the Gen VII style if their base form was drawn in the Gen VI style? Using the same style for the whole family keeps them looking consistent with each other.

I don't really have a good answer for Magearna, though, unless maybe they thought that a different artstyle would help sell the idea that it's artificial.

I think he's just supervising this time around and didn't get too much involved in the artworks other than Zygarde's. He already did that with the characters' artworks at the time of B2W2 developement.

Is it not possible that the difference was deliberate? I mean, why draw the Zygarde family in the Gen VII style if their base form was drawn in the Gen VI style? Using the same style for the whole family keeps them looking consistent with each other.

I don't really have a good answer for Magearna, though, unless maybe they thought that a different artstyle would help sell the idea that it's artificial.
I adressed that in my post. Look at gen 4 with all the Johto and Kanto evos. None of them gell with the FRL/HGSS artworks of their prevos despite being updated for that eras design principles. Same thing with Sylveon.

I haven't seen much artistic difference, but then again, I am not an artist. :p

I think that the designs look slick and smooth, but with a rough edge.

I bet that Poison/Fire is going to be a nightmare for Fairy types. Glad we got a new pokemon with a cool ability. So far, Game Freak has impressed me with every new pokemon and everything else of Sun and Moon. Seem to be on a roll lately but that is a good thing!

I'm glad I decided to pick Rowlet. Fire/Poison? Can poison everything!? What a great Fire-type to have!

Last edited:
I'm glad I decide to pick Rowlet. Fire/Poison? Can poison everything!? What a great Fire-type to have!
Well, the only Steel-type that Salandit should be poisoning is Heatran. The rest he/she can take out with fire.

For Poison-types, quite a few are Grass-type and Bug-type and thus burns with flames.

Also, Poison Heal is only on three Pokemon, Shroomish, Breloom and Gliscor. Breloom doesn't pose much threat, but be wary of Spore. It can force you to switch, which could play into the foe's hands.

Salandit will break the metagame. I just know it! So will Bruxish, what with anti-forced priority and everything.

Speaking of the ZyFamily, am J the only one who thinks its apparent that the last gen 6 game got cancalled after their release? Serious art clash between them and the gen 7 Pokemon, even Magearna falls into gen 6 artstyle principles. The new Pokemon all have a flatter look, with solid colors instead of the pseudo brush look that gen 6 retains on some level, much smoother lineart that is distinctly non-Sugimori and more static posing, while the ZyFamily still has the distinct look of being Sugimori drawn. I know it sounds like a stretch, but they never retained a Pokemon's artstyle from the previou gen for preevos or evlutions, and I doubt formes deserve the same treatment.

Aside from Magearna, none of the new Pokemon have reminded me of the artstyle from the sixth generation. Maybe it helps that I'm just focused more on the designs for the Pokemon themselves, but the artwork seems fine to me for the most part. Plus, I don't think it makes sense to claim that they cancelled a sixth generation game based on that, especially when they've most likely been planning Zygarde's inclusion in Sun/Moon for quite some time.

Aside from Magearna, none of the new Pokemon have reminded me of the artstyle from the sixth generation. Maybe it helps that I'm just focused more on the designs for the Pokemon themselves, but the artwork seems fine to me for the most part. Plus, I don't think it makes sense to claim that they cancelled a sixth generation game based on that, especially when they've most likely been planning Zygarde's inclusion in Sun/Moon for quite some time.
I believe they were talking about 'simplifying' the series, and that's why we've a simpler art-style in Sun and Moon.

I don't know when the next news is, but I'm pretty sure that it might be surprising and minor, like the Salandit reveal. Still got news, just not too much major.

While I would be thrilled to get more new Pokémon revealed, I would rather get news about Gym Leader(s) and the evil team. The "Mega Move" thing can wait, honestly. I'm indifferent with that at the moment.

More info for the plot would be preferred for me. They have only done reveals including the technical side of things so far. Many people play Pokemon for the plot, so you've got to cater for them as well.

CoroCoro by Monday morn would be a good guess, if not Sunday afternoon. Can leaks happen on Sundays considering how the pblishing companies don't do deliviries?

Next possible news will be Corocoro and then maybe if something is glimpsed during the movie trailer (usually have a trailer for the games at the end--remember Orotto?).

Back
Top Bottom