• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VII confirmed!

Alas but loyal doesn't mean they might not be a fan of the other generations compared to the first one. I am loyal to a certain degree but Gen I and II will always be my favorite. I'm sure they have explored and talked about it a lot. Maybe there are several forms yet to be released that are kept secret, so not to spoil everything.

What also might be in the minority is here. THe majority who grew up with Gen I might see this as an entering point with Pokemon GO released. We can't speak for everyone especially since the forum acts as a vehicle for a minority of Pokemon fans compared to the rest of the world. I can't speak for the majority or most of the minority, nor can any of us. We cannot speak for GameFreak as well. I'm sure there is a reason behind this and a lot more information to be released. Let's play the patience game.

I know several people that grew up with Gen I like myself, and saw the new forms and are very much interested. These are the Pokemon they grew up with a twist. They do not know what a Lucario, Cinccino, Corphish are. Will they buy it? Maybe, maybe not but has it created an interest? Yes.

Let's play the patience game and see what happens.

But personally, I don't think it has anything to do with attracting the in-and-out fad-"fans" from Go. I'm much more convinced by the theory that it's an RBY VC tie-in. I mean it makes sense. "Want to catch the original versions of these Pokémon? Don't want to pay $40 for a Gen VI game? Well, how about $10, for this classic Gen I experience? You've already got a 3DS, and it's an easy download... pick it up from the eShop, where, conveniently, you can also download Pokémon Bank, with which you can transfer these Pokémon to your Sun or Moon game..."
How many people will buy Sun/Moon without having played Generation VI? Regardless of the answer, I'd wager that most of them are people who recently bought a 3DS due to the Go mania, so your initial hypothesis doesn't quite work.

And yes, Go did make people buy a 3DS: There was a jump in hardware sales (and XY/ORAS sales) in the summer. Suffice to say that Nintendo's output in that period wasn't the main reason.

Last edited:
How many people will buy Sun/Moon without having played Generation VI? Regardless of the answer, I'd wager that most of them are people who recently bought a 3DS due to the Go mania, so your initial hypothesis doesn't quite work.

And yes, Go did make people buy a 3DS: There was a jump in hardware sales (and XY/ORAS sales) in the summer. Suffice to say that Nintendo's output in that period wasn't the main reason.
Could argue that Go didn't just bring old fans back, it brought new fans in.

I can assure you that I wasn't referencing him.
In any case, it just derailed.

To be honest, perhaps they could get some Gen 2 Alola Forms. For instance, if Skarmory and Gligar will not get megas, they could have Alola Forms.

It disheartens me whenever I see this conversation come up... We've already been through the whole song and dance (and I've been a little too heated about it in the past). I don't see anything we can do but wait because the game is going to go gold real soon, so they would be doing the final touches if it hasn't already gone into mass production - none of our hopes and wishes at this point in time are going to make anything appear unless they've already put it in, so I'd save it for when the game's finally out (or all the Pokedex data is leaked) to state what we want for the next game... whenever it comes.

To be honest, perhaps they could get some Gen 2 Alola Forms. For instance, if Skarmory and Gligar will not get megas, they could have Alola Forms.
Gligar isn't the best example since it has an evolution. Mantine is technically Skarmory's counterpart.

I know several people that grew up with Gen I like myself, and saw the new forms and are very much interested. These are the Pokemon they grew up with a twist. They do not know what a Lucario, Cinccino, Corphish are. Will they buy it? Maybe, maybe not but has it created an interest? Yes.

Which is all great and dandy, for those specific people. Still doesn't have to infringe on the more dedicated fans who care deeply about more than just the first generation or two. Game Freak is pleasing one group here, when there is no reason why they couldn't be pleasing more than one with just a little more effort.

On top of that, these games are already going to be packed with Pokémon that the "unfamiliars," for lack of a better term, have never seen. They woudn't know an Alolan Vanillite or a regular Turtonator from a hole in the wall, and yet, there's Turtonator.

That doesn't matter. Whoever those fans are, they are most familiar with Generation I critters.

Well, you've got me on the sales bit, but that doesn't alter my point. They could pander to those consumers all they like while still acknowledging their more dedicated fans. "They're familiar with the Gen I critters" is meaningless - not only, as I said, are they simultaneously being introduced to plenty of new Pokémon anyway, even more so if they've never heard of Tropius or Drifloon or whichever in the first place, so I highly doubt that an Alolan Vanillite is going to make their heads explode or anything, but also, you could extend the same point to the people who have actually been sticking with the franchise for the whole of these twenty years. We're familiar with all of the critters. They want the sales from the people who hopped on the Go Train, and that's fine, I understand that. Alolan Forms for other-Gen Pokémon aren't going to drive those away, though.

Last edited:
I was just trying to think what some Pokemon amiibos could actually do in-game (because there's no way we're NOT getting a ton of Pokemon amiibos/amiibo cards, come on) & I had a thought.

They said Lycanroc turns into Midday/Midnight Form based on Solgaleo/Lunala's "influence". What if, for example, you could scan a Lunala amiibo in Pokemon Sun & for a set period of time, Rockruff (& anyone else who's evo gets Midday/Midnight Forms) would evolve into Midnight Form instead of Midday Form? And of course, the opposite for Moon with a Solgaleo amiibo. This would be a way to satisfy those mad that they're version exclusive & push amiibo sales.

He says trying to change the subject...

Which is all great and dandy, for those specific people. Still doesn't have to infringe on the more dedicated fans who care deeply about more than just the first generation or two. Game Freak is pleasing one group here, when there is no reason why they couldn't be pleasing more than one with just a little more effort.

On top of that, these games are already going to be packed with Pokémon that the "unfamiliars," for lack of a better term, have never seen. They woudn't know an Alolan Vanillite or a regular Turtonator from a hole in the wall, and yet, there's Turtonator.

What if people who grew up with Gen I are dedicated fans too? What if they just like the first two a lot more than the rest? Is the group that you say are full of dedicated fans buying the most games? Are they the silent majority or the loud minority? We can't assume that everyone thinks the same way.

No one is saying that Gen I is the best Gen. The best Gen is subjective but it is undeniable that the first two generations are the most popular. Pokemon was at its peak at that time in popularity, so they are more familiar with that Pokemon and when they see there are new forms of those Pokemon, it strikes a cord, a cord harking back to their childhood. The new Pokemon are just bonuses to the old that are present.

Someone pointed out before. All Generations aren't equal and it is very much correct. I and II were at peak popularity, the two that are the most famous, had the most fans, the one that people grew up with. The classics are classics for a reason like me.

They don't care about Alolan Seviper or whatever, it is not going to be like "Oh my Alolan Seviper. What is this?" and they get angry. It will take no notice. However if you have Alolan Butterfree for example. "Oh my god it's Butterfree. Remember when Ash had one and released it? Oh man I remember Pokemon."

You attract a lot more flies with honey than vinegar.

We do not know if there will be Alolan versions of other Pokemon. Patience and there might be a Alolan Whismur or Cacnea or Sharpedo. We can only wait and see before jumping and assuming that GF is focusing on one generation.

What if people who grew up with Gen I are dedicated fans too? What if they just like the first two a lot more than the rest? Is the group that you say are full of dedicated fans buying the most games? Are they the silent majority or the loud minority? We can't assume that everyone thinks the same way.

You misunderstand the group I'm referring to when I say that. I'm talking about people who have only recently been drawn back in by Go after having previously abandoned it when Pokémania faded. By "dedicated fans" I am referring to people who have been following the series for a long time, which would inevitably include people who were there since the beginning, like, you know, myself. The people who stuck around even after the franchise faded from the spotlight.

No one is saying that Gen I is the best Gen. The best Gen is subjective but it is undeniable that the first two generations are the most popular. Pokemon was at its peak at that time in popularity, so they are more familiar with that Pokemon and when they see there are new forms of those Pokemon, it strikes a cord, a cord harking back to their childhood. The new Pokemon are just bonuses to the old that are present.

They don't care about Alolan Seviper or whatever, it is not going to be like "Oh my Alolan Seviper. What is this?" and they get angry. It will take no notice. However if you have Alolan Butterfree for example. "Oh my god it's Butterfree. Remember when Ash had one and released it? Oh man I remember Pokemon."

If they're already looking at the new Pokémon as "bonuses," then why can that same logic not be applied to Alolan Seviper or what-have-you? They're not going to care whether Seviper looks normal or not because they have no idea what it is. So what exactly is the harm in doing something interesting with it for the people who will notice? The people who only recognize the Gen I Pokémon won't care, and they can still have their Gen I Alola Forms. These two interests are entirely capable of coexisting. Now, if Game Freak realize that and create Alola Forms for other-Gen Pokémon, then no harm-no foul, of course. But I think it is a distinct possibility that they will not.

Esserise said:
Alolan Forms for other-Gen Pokémon aren't going to drive those away, though.
I never said they would. However, the number of Generation I forms does have a bearing on the number of Go players drawn to Sun and Moon. It shouldn't be hard to see why there are likely to be 20+ of them rather than just a handful, which would be the case if Game Freak represented all generations equally.

It would be nice if Game Freak at least gave each other generation one representative, but fans like you would still complain about the inequality.

Honestly, I don't understand why Gen II is not treated like Gen I.

I can understand them pandering less to post-Pokemania games and Generations, but Gen II is still part of Pokemania and it deserves to be treated like Gen I. And both Gen I and II were made by Tajiri, so they are both a package, imo.

I am still waiting for my Gen II starters Megas or Alolan forms, GF!

And for GSC on the Virtual Console... I have two copies of both Gold and Silver, but I have never played Crystal and I really want to... Also, I don´t want to play any Pokemon game without a Battle Facility, and those started with Crystal, which is an other reason I want to play it!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom