• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VII confirmed!

I never said they would. However, the number of Generation I forms does have a bearing on the number of Go players drawn to Sun and Moon. It shouldn't be hard to see why there are likely to be 20+ of them rather than just a handful, which would be the case if Game Freak represented all generations equally.

It would be nice if Game Freak at least gave each other generation one representative, but fans like you would still complain about the inequality.

Except I myself* already said at least twice that I understand why Kanto would get the majority of the distribution. That's a reality I'm willing to accept; I know the Gen I Pokémon have higher recognizability and pliability when it comes to modifying them. We already saw that in XY, with the Mega Evolutions, and Kanto having the largest share of those (until ORAS), but at least the other generations got a few of their own (well, except for Gen V and Gen VI, which only got one each and neither were in XY, but again, it was at least something).

To put it another way, there are logical reasons for giving Gen I a ton of spotlight. There aren't very many logical reasons for giving Gen I all of the spotlight.

And yes... fans would still complain. Fans do that a lot. About a lot of things. Obviously, you can't please everyone. But you can make a few concessions here and there.

* - Personally, I actually have no issue with them being Gen I-only if it's viewed as a VC tie-in. That makes perfect sense in my head; the issue that I have is mostly with the idea that they're making them exclusive to Gen I as some way to draw the fans who only know the Gen I Pokémon into buying the games, because that doesn't have to come at the expense of Alola Forms for other-Gen Pokémon. Whereas, if it's to incentivize the VCs, then obviously they would be limited to Gen I Pokémon. (Unless they also convert GSC, though I have other (less cynical) doubts about that.) Really, I would go so far as to say that I'm one of the least bothered by them being Gen I-only, because I do acknowledge these other factors. I'm only here, setting aside my own contentment, in order to argue against the notion that they can't give Alola Forms to other Pokémon because Go fans wouldn't recognize them.

To put it another way, there are logical reasons for giving Gen I a ton of spotlight. There aren't very many logical reasons for giving Gen I all of the spotlight.

And yes... fans would still complain. Fans do that a lot. About a lot of things. Obviously, you can't please everyone. But you can make a few concessions here and there.
Let's just leave it at that. There is no real disagreement.

I'm actually disappointed that they also seem to be making special Z-moves exclusive to Generation I (Masuda teased one for Psyduck today). But I am still pleased that they're giving love to Pokemon that have been underused for the better part of 20 years.

In my concern, there is no logical reason to give gen 1 spotlight. It already had plenty with RBY on virtual console, references and similarities in XY, appearing in HGSS, having remakes and so on. Generation 1 is done. Give the other gens some spotlight for a change.

Give the other gens some spotlight for a change.
Yes, they seem to be biased toward Generation I for what it symbolizes to them, but your claim is weird when the latest games are Ruby/Sapphire remakes where the majority of Mega Evolutions were (naturally) from Generation III. Even in Sun and Moon we have Zygarde and Greninja as special Pokemon.

If you expected the VC release to be the only nod to Kanto in the 20th anniversary year, then you were painfuly naive.

Give it time. Generation II Pokemon will probably be added to Go next year and things will pick up from there.

Do you think they will release Gold/Silver/Crystal on the VC soon as well, and have them link through bank into Gen 7?

In my concern, there is no logical reason to give gen 1 spotlight. It already had plenty with RBY on virtual console, references and similarities in XY, appearing in HGSS, having remakes and so on. Generation 1 is done. Give the other gens some spotlight for a change.
There's plenty of logical reasons:

Most marketable and recognizable Pokemon are from Gen 1. How many people could identify Sandile, and not Sandshrew?
For waaay too many people Gen 1 is Pokemon, everything after is mimicry.
Updating Gen 1 also brings in the nostalgic young adult crowd.
Gen 1 is where the money is. Merchandise, TCG, games, anime - I'm decently sure that this is when Pokemon was at it's profitable peak, and Nintendo exist to make money. They're a business.

Even though I have come to peace with the fact that Alolan variants will almost certainly be restricted to Kanto Pokémon, I do hope they branch out a bit more with Z Moves. So far the only exclusive Z Moves we've seen so far have been either Kanto Pokémon or Alolan variants of Kanto 'mon.

Even though I have come to peace with the fact that Alolan variants will almost certainly be restricted to Kanto Pokémon, I do hope they branch out a bit more with Z Moves. So far the only exclusive Z Moves we've seen so far have been either Kanto Pokémon or Alolan variants of Kanto 'mon.
One glimmer of hope in this is that Eevee's Z-Move involves all of the Eeveelutions and not just the first three.

I hope that they can at leasat give a Pokemon like Slowking an Alolan Form. They gave Slowbro a Mega, so why not an Alolan Form for Slowking?

We need more ice types, ice is literally the rarest Pokemon type right now. Hoping for 3-4 lines of ice Pokemon.

Maybe something like:

Snowball > Snowman (Ice/Fight)
Penguin > Flying Penguin (Ice/Fly)
Ice Wraith (Ice/Ghost)
Ice Statue (Ice)

I'm not all that happy about gen 1 only alola forms (unless the Nido family gets them then HOLY HECK YAS), but if they do all of the ones they want now, next gen's new games will HAVE to go to other Gens since Gen 1's getting drained.

I wonder if Alola pokemon such as Tsareena would have a different form if they were introduced into a new region, especially a polar opposite such as Sinnoh?

Back
Top Bottom