• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VII Mega Evolutions?

Vyrron

#TeamSword
Reaction score
As we all know, Mega evolution is one of the most prominent features introduced in Gen VI. Do you think old Mega evolutions will return in Gen VII? Will the mechanics stay the same? Do you think they will introduce new ones? And which Pokemon do you hope/think will get a Mega evolution?

Imo, Mega evolution is here to stay since it's a good way to shake up the metagame and re-market old Pokemon without bloating the Pokedex. As for the mechanics, I see them introducing a new variation of Mega evolution, similar to Ash-Greninja, that actually requires a stong bond between Pokemon and trainers. What do you think?​

Solrock and Lunatone are begging for Megas. It would be weird not to have them. Johto starters deserve Megas, but Kalos starters should be given Megas, too. I want to see Mega Goodra as well, since we've been getting Megas for pseudo-legendaries.

Solrock and Lunatone seem like no-brainers. But guess we'll have to see.

In terms of mechanics, pls nerf Parental Bond thnx

The seven generation starters deserve a mega.
Kalos pokemons: the starters, Pyroar, Aurorus, Dragalge, Gogoat.

Johto Starters, Kalos and Seventh Gen Starters.

Megas for Solrock & Lunatone seem like obvious choices. Rock/Fire for M-Solrock, and Rock/Fairy for M-Lunatone perhaps.

More starter megas, too. Preferably Johto & Unova, and maybe Kalos.

I agree that Lunatone and Solrock have got to be given, and also that the Johto Starters will receive them this time around too. Due to the anniversary and RBGY links, I'd guess that maybe Mew might get a Mega now too. For similar reasons, I think Dragonite might get one but also think it would be awesome to see Vaporeon, Jolteon and Flareon receive Megas too. I'd also like to see Butterfree, Slowking, Milotic and Froslass receive Megas (to counterpart Beedrill, Slowbro, Gyarados and Glalie). I also think the Kalos Starters and Goodra are good contenders to receive Megas too. That gives 18, plus maybe up to ten more to help balance out the competitive battling side of things. Maybe, maybe not... very hyped though to see who does get Mega Evolutions this time around, as some of the ORAS ones surprised me. Thanks for reading.

I'm probably in the minority here, but aside from a few new Unova and maybe Kalos Megas, I don't really want to see a bunch of Megas this go-round - especially not at the cost of actual new Pokemon. I feel like they put in too many Megas too quickly with XY and ORAS, and unfortunately because of that I became tired of what would have been a cool feature if they'd spaced things out more. Didn't help that some of the Pokemon that got Megas were like... Pidgeot and Beedrill. Can anyone honestly say they were super hyped about Beedrill getting a Mega Evolution?

I want Mega Evolution to stay in Generation VI - I don't want any Mega Evolution stuff happening in Generation VII. It was integral to the plot of four games already - and it's not the sort of thing that just becomes an aside in a future game: "Oh, here's a Mega Ring, go find 30 new Mega Stones and have at." I don't see that happening. If we have yet another plot revolving around the concept of Mega Evolution with these games, it's going to be kind of boring.

In addition, Mega Evolution adds a whole new level of intricacy to the metagame, and I believe that at this point adding even more Megas will just serve to cause even more unnecessary complications. especially for the Pokémon that change type in the process. It becomes a guessing game - ESPECIALLY with ones like Charizard and Mewtwo. Your opponent has no idea whether your Pokémon is even going to be the same type as it was a second ago. In the case of Charizard and Mewtwo (both of which still have absolutely no excuse for having two Megas in the first place), they have two different possible type combinations and your opponent has to guess which one.

Basically, it was cool for a while, but I think it's time to move on. Mega Evolution is an interesting idea, but at this point it's just a gimmick and is not worth being brought back to Generation VII. It was very much Gen VI's thing. Just imagine if they keep it forever and keep adding more and more Megas - I think that's way too much, especially when you consider that they'd need to find a hiding place for every single Mega Stone.

Basically, it was cool for a while, but I think it's time to move on. Mega Evolution is an interesting idea, but at this point it's just a gimmick and is not worth being brought back to Generation VII. It was very much Gen VI's thing. Just imagine if they keep it forever and keep adding more and more Megas - I think that's way too much, especially when you consider that they'd need to find a hiding place for every single Mega Stone.
I do think that existing Megas should carry over, at the very least. The models and data already exist, it would be a waste of effort not to bring them forward. Searching around for Mega Stones is a pain, but that could be rectified by perhaps putting a merchant selling them for high prices somewhere in the game.

Didn't help that some of the Pokemon that got Megas were like... Pidgeot and Beedrill. Can anyone honestly say they were super hyped about Beedrill getting a Mega Evolution?

Loads of people were hyped for Mega Beedrill and Mega Pidgeot when they were revealed though? And Mega Pidgeot actually reignited my love for Pidgeot so I'm really glad it exists. Beedrill and Pidgeot are exactly the type of Pokemon that should get Megas - not Pokemon like Garchomp. They can't evolve further and are generally bad, but a Mega can improve them.

And the argument about "searching for stones" is a tired one. They can give us more ways to receive them than just dumping them around the region. People complain about less content but there's one way to give us more content through side quests and the like. And you're not even required to collect them all the exact same way the game doesn't expect you to catch every Pokemon as soon as possible so if you don't like a certain Mega don't bother getting its stone.

I do think that existing Megas should carry over, at the very least. The models and data already exist, it would be a waste of effort not to bring them forward. Searching around for Mega Stones is a pain, but that could be rectified by perhaps putting a merchant selling them for high prices somewhere in the game.

I'd be okay with the merchant thing, because odds are they're going to bring it back. The stone-searching isn't my main problem with Mega Evolution, though, I just think the whole concept is unnecessary by this point and it believe it's too gimmicky to be brought back. But I see what you're saying, though. I'd just be happier if it all stayed in Generation VI.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom