• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

GenV counterparts

Pika2

Reaction score
if this thread has already been created then lock it

suggest what Gen V pokemon you think has a previous counterpart

eg tabunne is the genV counterpart to chansey
coromori is the Gen V counterpart to zubat

so what do you think

Sazando is totally the Garchomp/Salamence/Dragonite of this era.

im not that far into the game but is there a magikarp/gyarados counterpart
you know a ridiculously weak pokemon that evolves into a monster pokemon

Is it sad we are still doing this? Why should we have counterparts?

im not that far into the game but is there a magikarp/gyarados counterpart
you know a ridiculously weak pokemon that evolves into a monster pokemon

Yes, Silbeeldon/Shirubirudon, the Electric-type eel with the Levitate ability upon evolution. At least, I believe it's Magikarp's/Gyrados's Isshu expy, even though it has 2 pre-evolutions. But then, Aron had two evolutions and was still Rhydon's expy.

From TVTROPES:

◦Zoroark is very much a Lucario expy: an anthropomorphic canid, has some kind of paranormal power, one of the first to be revealed in its generation, and featured in one of the anime movies. They even have a similar stat distribution.

◦Gear is one of the Magnemite and Beldum families. Floating, one-eyed metal objects that work in clusters.

◦Munna has the same type, classification, and abilities as Drowzee and Hypno. Musharna has a different classification, but instead looks like a Drowzee with added femininity.

◦Emonga, the new Pikaclone of the generation, is blatantly a steal from Pachirisu. Both are electric squirrels with very similar designs, although Emonga is a flying squirrel and an Electric/Flying combination.

◦Tabunne, as the new Healing Pokémon, seems to slot into Chansey's position rather nicely. Along with being pink and kind of bovine, meaning it could be said to be like Miltank as well.

◦Mamanbou is a heartshaped Water-type Pokémon- Luvdisc, anyone?
◦Tamagetake works twofold- it is a Shroomish-like Mushroom, but on top of that the Pokéball design on its head means it may function somewhat like Voltorb as a Fake Item Ball.

◦Baffuron is Tauros with an afro.

◦Dangoro, Gigaiasu's pre evolution can be considered an expy of Geodude, since it's a rock type that might possibly take its role and appear commonly in caves. It can also be considered one of Beldum, since they both have one eye, similar type of head and evolve into a quadrupedal creature with two eyes.
The fact that Dangoro evolves at Level 25 and then by trading it further enhances it's Expy status.

◦The Dokkora line are expies of the Machop line.

I don't see the point of naming counterpart after counterpart. All pokemon are similar in way, and that's a really old statement.

Ononokus reminds of Flygon in the sense that they are dragon and NOT psuedo (which pisses me of a little)

-Kumashun, teddiursa anyone?

-Kumashun, teddiursa anyone?

Only because it's a bear..?

I don't consider that a counterpart.

I still don't see Buffalon as anything like Tauros either.

And Tabunne can be both male and female unlike Miltank and Chansey :v

Though Tabunne is very much this region's Chansey~

And Tabunne can be both male and female unlike Miltank and Chansey :v

Whut? Seriously? Tabunne can be male? That weirds me out for some reason. Then again, it's not much different from a male Roserade, Wigglytuff, or Clefable. Or a female Machamp.

Only because it's a bear..?

I don't consider that a counterpart.

I still don't see Buffalon as anything like Tauros either.

How can you not think that Buffalon is not like Tauros?!?! It's like a freaking clone!

How can you not think that Buffalon is not like Tauros?!?! It's like a freaking clone!

It's not a clone.

I still don't see it :/

Also, YES Tabunne can be male. Ironically, all I've seen is Male Tabunne all the time I encounter one

Is there an abra counterpart you know one that hard to find and teleports if you don't catch it.

Completely different animal
completely different pokemon

Might as well say a shark and a dolphin are the same thing because they are usually depicted as blue or grey and both live in the ocean >>

Or a rat and a mouse..
or a wolf and a husky

From TVTROPES:

◦Dangoro, Gigaiasu's pre evolution can be considered an expy of Geodude, since it's a rock type that might possibly take its role and appear commonly in caves. It can also be considered one of Beldum, since they both have one eye, similar type of head and evolve into a quadrupedal creature with two eyes.
The fact that Dangoro evolves at Level 25 and then by trading it further enhances it's Expy status.

Just to add to this one. It resembles geodude also in the way you can find everstone sometimes attached to them. I use to hunt geodude to get everstones alot but since Geodude isn't there I have literally started hunting dangora for the exact same reason as geodude.

Also Geodude can have sturdy as an ability aswell like dangora.

The Karate and Judo Pokemon are reminiscent of Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan- Pokemon with similar names who represent differing martial arts.

The case can be made that the garbage bag Pokemon are inspired by Grimer and Muk.

Some of these, such as the Tamagatake line and Emonga fall into archetypes more so than expies- the electric rodent and the mimic archetypes, respectively. Although there has only been one other mimic family.

Baffuron looks a lot like Tauros, so I would consider it a counterpart... am in agreement with basically all of these. Surprised no one's mentioned the Mamepato line being the bird chain of the generation, that's an obvious one. Also Victini reminds me of Mew/Celebi/Jirachi/Shaymin. Just the whole small powerful legendary deal. And then Minezumi's line is of course the early-met rodent line of this generation. The Shimama line also seems like Ponyta/Electrike's lines. But that's just my opinion, not sure if it counts as a counterpart at all.

This counterpart is not obvious, but I don't blame you if you didn't see it.

Anyway, Jynx and Furiijio are counterparts, moreso their base stats, actually. Besides their Ice type, their stats are quite similar, only that Furiijio's one is better overall. Here are the Base Stats to compare for reference:

Furiijio = 70 HP / 50 Atk / 30 Def / 95 SpAtk / 135 SpDef / 105 Spd
Jynx = 65 HP / 50 Atk / 35 Def / 115 SpAtk / 95 SpDef / 95 Spd

Basically, their physical capabilities are quite weak, but their special capabilities are top-notch. Note that Furiijio is more defensive and Jynx is more offensive.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom