• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gimmick RMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexington

Reaction score
This team is purely built around shock value, and it has done such in the few battles I have used it on Shoddy. I know that it is not a good team on paper, but it works in practice.

Tuff One the Wigglytuff
Ability: Cute Charm
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 Def/252 HP/6 Sp. Atk
Item: Focus Sash
~ Stealth Rock
~ Counter
~ Role Play
~ Thunderbolt

A good lead against anything without Fake Out. Set up rocks, unless facing an Aerodactyl or other taunting lead, wherein I will thunderbolt for a hopeful KO or crippling. If I can predict an attack and counter it back, it is almost always a guarunteed KO with Wiggly's massive HP.

Sunshine the Arcanine
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Speed/252 Atk/6 HP
Item: Choice Band
~ Flare Blitz
~ Extreme Speed
~ Iron Head
~ Morning Sun

Essentially a Roosting CB Scizor, but with Arcanine and Morning Sun taking place of the Roost and Scizor part. A CB Flare Blitz is a force to be reckoned with, and Morning Sun can make people think it is a standard defensive set only to be slammed in the face the next time he switches in.

Wise Man the Hypno
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/6 Sp. Def
Item: Leftovers
~ Hypnosis
~ Nasty Plot
~ Baton Pass
~ Psychic

Hypnosis whatever is in or whatever switches in. Hypno can withstand most hits to do that. Nasty Plot as many times as possible then pass to...

BOO! the Gyarados
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 Speed/252 Sp. Atk/6 HP
Item: Life Orb
~ Hydro Pump
~ Ice Beam
~ Thunderbolt
~ Flamethrower

Yeah, special Gyarados. With 2 NP from Hypno he has taken out a Blissey in two hits with Hydro Pump and a Starmie in one hit with Thunderbolt without NP if I remember correctly. The best thing about this set is that people expect a Dragon Dance, so they switch in for the stat boost. Nope, thunderbolt to the face!

Yes yes, go ahead and complain that special Gyara doesn't work, I expect as much.

Barney Fish the Lanturn
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Def/252 Sp. Atk/6 HP
~ Charge Beam
~ Rest
~ Sleep Talk
~ Ice Beam

A bolt/beam combo, with the added bonus of the Sp. Atk increase. Throw in the rest/sleep talk longevity and this Lanturn is actually quite useful.

Ali the Hitmonchan
Ability: Iron Fist
Nature: Adamant
~ Substitute
~ Focus Punch
~ Ice Punch
~ Thunder Punch

Send Ali in on something that does not want to see it, such as Blissey or Snorlax, etc. Focus Punch packs a wallop and if I can predict correctly, it puts a massive dent in anything coming in on it. If I don't feel like predicting, sub on the switch and use what is preferable, normally Focus Punch anyway.

Rate and discuss away. It is a fun team at the very least.

Arcanine: Why Choice Band + Morning Sun? You do realize that CB limits you to one attack unless the Pokemon switches out, right? You may not be able to use Morning Sun for recovery. You're better with Leftovers.

Gyarados: Special Gyarados is fail.

This team is purely built around shock value, and it has done such in the few battles I have used it on Shoddy. I know that it is not a good team on paper, but it works in practice.

Tuff One the Wigglytuff
Ability: Cute Charm
EVs: 252 Def/252 HP/6 Sp. Atk
Item: Focus Sash
~ Stealth Rock
~ Counter
~ Role Play
~ Thunderbolt

I don't see a point in Role Play at all...

A good lead against anything without Fake Out. Set up rocks, unless facing an Aerodactyl or other taunting lead, wherein I will thunderbolt for a hopeful KO or crippling. If I can predict an attack and counter it back, it is almost always a guarunteed KO with Wiggly's massive HP.

Sunshine the Arcanine
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Jolly
Item: Choice Band
~ Flare Blitz
~ Extreme Speed
~ Iron Head
~ Morning Sun

Essentially a Roosting CB Scizor, but with Arcanine and Morning Sun taking place of the Roost and Scizor part. A CB Flare Blitz is a force to be reckoned with, and Morning Sun can make people think it is a standard defensive set only to be slammed in the face the next time he switches in.

Choice Band + Morning Sun??! What the...Also you don't need 6 EVs in HP, you only need 4. Oh and there has NEVER EVER been a Roost Choice Band Scizor and there never will be.

Wise Man the Hypno
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/6 Sp. Def
~ Hypnosis
~ Nasty Plot
~ Baton Pass
~ Psychic

Hypnosis whatever is in or whatever switches in. Hypno can withstand most hits to do that. Nasty Plot as many times as possible then pass to...

BOO! the Gyarados
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 Speed/252 Sp. Atk/6 HP
Item: Life Orb
~ Hydro Pump
~ Ice Beam
~ Thunderbolt
~ Flamethrower

Yeah, special Gyarados. With 2 NP from Hypno he has taken out a Blissey in two hits with Hydro Pump and a Starmie in one hit with Thunderbolt without NP if I remember correctly. The best thing about this set is that people expect a Dragon Dance, so they switch in for the stat boost. Nope, thunderbolt to the face!

Yes yes, go ahead and complain that special Gyara doesn't work, I expect as much.

That Gyarados pretty much relies on getting the Nasty Plot boosts passed to him by Hypno..otherwise Special Gyarados is worthless, you're better off Dragon Dancing and boosting his Atk and Speed..

Barney Fish the Lanturn
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Def/252 Sp. Atk/6 HP
~ Charge Beam
~ Rest
~ Sleep Talk
~ Ice Beam

A bolt/beam combo, with the added bonus of the Sp. Atk increase. Throw in the rest/sleep talk longevity and this Lanturn is actually quite useful.

Ali the Hitmonchan
Ability: Iron Fist
Nature: Adamant
~ Substitute
~ Focus Punch
~ Ice Punch
~ Thunder Punch

Send Ali in on something that does not want to see it, such as Blissey or Snorlax, etc. Focus Punch packs a wallop and if I can predict correctly, it puts a massive dent in anything coming in on it. If I don't feel like predicting, sub on the switch and use what is preferable, normally Focus Punch anyway.

Rate and discuss away. It is a fun team at the very least.
There are a lot better Focus Puncher's out there than this. Also I don't know why Gyaraods is your only OU Pokemon and the rest are UU/NU...I just don't see this team winning many OU matches.

You guys, don't suggest real sets or Pokemon; this is a gimmick team. Suggest gimmicks that might work better.

I agree that there seems little point for Role Play on Wigglytuff. I feel like Magic Coat is a better gimmick move for a lead. If you want a more useful move, I would go with Pain Split, Heal Bell, or more offense. Also, running 80 SpAtk EVs lets you guarantee a 2HKO on Aerodactyl. If you do this, take out of HP.

I don't think Gyarados should work well at all. Yes it's a physical attacker. However, people see you baton pass NP to it. They see that you're using a gimmick team. I honestly would expect a special Gyarados, and then you're screwed. I would suggest bringing in a physical attacker who can NP up on the switch. My favorite will always be NP Weavile. Run Focus Blast, Ice Beam, Dark Pulse, Nasty Plot. It was the only member of my super-gimmick team that was ever at all useful (This team included a CB Blissey. My finest hour was taking out a Vaporeon with its Focus Punch). If you change Gyarados, get rid of Hypno for something else.

Other than that, I like it a lot. Lots of unexpected things, but still a chance at winning some matches. Sometimes. :)

both mix-gross and bait-tar are better gimmicks than gyarados, and can 2Ko their regualr counters without a boost. Also, dunsparce is the ultimate gimmick, and the core of any gimmick team. This is a great article on gimmicks, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom