• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Give the player a love interest!

Actually, something like this happens in HGSS, when the Day Care Lady asks Lyra if he's (the lpayer) her boyfriend, and she says no.. and then Lyra gets the player's phone number, and tells the Lady that it has nothing to do with a relationship, but they're just trainers, and it's good to have each-other's numbers. That's enough.

well, to make it kid appropriatel, in part of the plot, your rival would take you into the daycare, and a baby would appear!

but really, I think the rival should do SOMETHING besides annoy you.
at lease give them flawless ev trained lv. 100 pokés at the end of the game....

ok i really dont get why people focus on story espcecially bad story pokemon is about playing competitive

Hmmm... Maybe they change it so it's like persona 3 where you gain benefits from forming relationships with other characters, but it's totally unnecessary to complete the game? Like, You could be asked by certain characters registered in whatever pokemachine you have if you want to battle or talk, And if you select the right choices or win a battle, your relationship improves. It could be an interesting way to get hidden items... Just my idea, so they could introduce an element, without forcing the character to take part in them. Say, make the hidden items not too good or too useless, so the player's choice to partake in or abstain from these events is really about whether you want the character to be just an avatar, or something slightly more.

ok i really dont get why people focus on story espcecially bad story pokemon is about playing competitive

'Cause they happen to think the story isn't that bad? 'Cause they happen to like playing through the game more than playing competitively? Or maybe they *gasp* like both? There's enough reasons to focus on the story/want GF to improve on it (which they have been doing anyway, imo), really. Not evreryone is only interested in the metagame and not everyone enjoys that aspect of the game the most.

I actually NEVER play COMPETITIEVLY. Okay, that's only in Caps because the button was on, and I don't wanna retype that, especially because I think I spelled it right. Without looking.

Anyway, I would care either way if the player got a love interest. It'd be kinda funny, seeing that in a Pokemon game. But it's be cute, too.

It might not be the best for marketing. Most kids in the target audience are 6-12 year old boys. Many of these are still in the "girls are icky" stage.

A love intrest? Nah. Kinda lame.
cause knowing Pokemon, it would be borderline "Twilight". Must I say more?

A love intrest? Nah. Kinda lame.
cause knowing Pokemon, it would be borderline "Twilight". Must I say more?

wat?

Twilight is aimed at 13 year old girls, pokemon largely at 6-10 year old boys (and more recently, girls). Big difference between 10 and 13.

Still, no romance...unless it's subtle..and not there.The plot is already so thin, I'm not sure how they could tack this on without it just being annoying.

I actually NEVER play COMPETITIEVLY. Okay, that's only in Caps because the button was on, and I don't wanna retype that, especially because I think I spelled it right. Without looking.

So you type that long-ass sentence as an explanation rather than retyping...

Anyway, I like the idea of having a sibling in this game. Either a younger sibling that looks up to you or an older one you try to surpass. Though the older one's more like an Ace Trainer class than Champion.

And watch as it accomplishes absolutely nothing.

I agree with that. It's a game about catching monsters, saving the world, battling, becoming a world champion...I don't see what a love interest would accomplish at all except just dragging the game out longer.

The difference here is that in BN games the player's avatar has a personality, and these situations come up while he's talking to the other characters. Pokemon avatars never speak (even when it seems like they really ought to, like Red in GS). I'll go so far as to say that should the player avatar in a main pokemon game ever have a speaking role then the franchise will be Ruined Forever.

Doesn't Ethen/Ethan and Lyra speak during HG/SS? Like during the poketholon? I tkinda looked like they were talking and the Giovani event I heard people say that The PC says Gio won't appear again?

And besides isn't Red supossed to be a chatter box?

I'd like that idea, actually. She could be your pseudo-rival (following you around, and battling you occasionally).

I think a companion would be kind of cool that could follow you around (part of the time) like misty and brock in the show (yes I know games do not equal anime)

but I dont think the game needs to add a love interest. I think it would add too much to the storyline that doesnt actually apply to anything you are trying to achieve in the game

Doesn't Ethen/Ethan and Lyra speak during HG/SS? Like during the poketholon? I tkinda looked like they were talking and the Giovani event I heard people say that The PC says Gio won't appear again?

That's the NPC talking in the Giovanni event, but yes, the characters do talk during the Pokethlon. It took awhile for me to realize that until someone started referring to themselves with personal pronouns.

You also have phrases to say in the Battle Tower.

Seriously though, how many times can the franchise be ruined forever before people stop declaring that.

Seriously though, how many times can the franchise be ruined forever before people stop declaring that.

Let's just make up the largest number we can think of and then times it by ten.

Again, I think a love interest is a pointless idea. Not good. Not bad. But pointless.

I would love a better story, but like others have said, the game is marketed heavily towards children, there's seems to be little business incentive therefore on the developers' part for better story. As for romance interest, this isn't a Bioware game. Seriously, I'd hate to have to be forced into some romance. I can sometimes tolerate the main character falling for someone in some RPGs, but Pokemon? Seriously. No. The main character is almost if not always invariable ~12 if not younger, too. Blech.

Ever heard of childhood sweethearts, ASDF? D: Or "puppy love"? An "innocent crush"? I think cute little toy ships like that can work out. I wouldn't actually put it in-game, but it is a cute idea.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom