• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Glitch Pokémon capitalization issue- PLEASE VOTE!

Should the G in Glitch Pokémon be capitalized or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
As many of you may know, lately, there has been an issue over whether the G in Glitch Pokémon gets capitalized in articles. I say it does, because though Glitch isn't a proper noun on its own, it should be capitalized when describing a specific kind of Pokémon, not unlike Shadow Pokémon. Just because this term has never actually seen use by Nintendo or any other official source, in my opinion, does not give us an excuse to not emulate their example. Hence, we shall vote on it. I want you all to cast your vote, and if possible, state a reason why you voted the way you did. If the administration agrees with this, then when the poll closes in a month's time, the most popular choice shall become the rule for Bulbapedia.

Technically, you can't create an enforcable Bulbapedia rule. That's up to the editorial board. And, as far as I can tell, the editorial board agrees with me that "glitch Pokémon" is not a proper phrase, very unlike "Shadow Pokémon" which has been used as such in official usage ("glitch Pokémon" has not, isn't, and never will be used in such a fashion). ****, because of their nature, Nintendo doesn't even officially recongize any glitch Pokémon save Missingno., and Nintendo only recognized Missingno because of its common appearance in the Generation I games and the fact that there were many letters written about it.

Think about it: Nintendo doesn't even admit that most glitch Pokémon exists, and yet you want to treat them on the same level as Shadow Pokémon? Trust me, it's far more likely to see "Shadow Pokémon" get de-capitalized than "glitch Pokémon" capitalized.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see this poll closed early by a forums admin as pointless.

"Glitch Pokémon" is a proper noun, describing a specific subset of Pokémon which are produced by errors in the game's original data.

Thus, both letters get capitalized.

On that note, I think Fire-type Pokémon should be capitalized like I just did (capital letter on all descriptors of type), but I'm not going to go on an enforcement spree..thoughts?

Eh. I don't see anime as a specific entity--theoretically there could be multiple animes, all about Pokemon.

Of course, this is just my two cents. I'm not acting in some official capacity or anything.

Glitches aren't really a specific entity either. They're just bugs in the games that happen to sometimes manifest themselves as glitch Pokémon. They're not an official group by any means, so have no reason to be a proper noun. The word glitch is simply an adjective.

We don't refer to Pokémon colored green as Green Pokémon. We don't even capitalize starter Pokémon.

Proper nouns are names of individual people/places/things, other nouns are not proper nouns.

"person" is not a proper noun.
"man" refers to a specific type of person, however it is still not a proper noun.
"Jeff" is a name used to identify a single person, it is a proper noun.

"glitch Pokemon" is also a generic term, it is not a proper noun.
"Missingno." is a proper noun, as it refers to an individual species of pokemon.

You know, some of the sniping in this thread is exactly why people think Bulbapedia is a joke now.

Actually, legendary isn't really much of a proper noun either...

You know, some of the sniping in this thread is exactly why people think Bulbapedia is a joke now.

If you think this is bad, you should see some of the drama that goes on over at Wikipedia. A few years ago there, I was involved in a discussion on the same thing. One person was insisting that the phrase "California state highway" was a proper noun, because it was a "specific" type of highway. Other editors, including myself, kept trying to convince him that no matter how specific something is, it is not a proper noun unless it is a name used to identify something individual (like a single highway). Later, that same group of editors, warred over the names of individual state highways, and the fighting only continued from there. I ultimately stopped making regular contributions.

I hope Bulbapedia doesn't get reduced to the same thing. As long as people are willing to compromise and in some cases, admit when they're wrong, we can hopefully avoid something like that.

Sniping? Where? We're allowed to, you know, disagree.

Making a post that says nothing more than "Oh my god, get a life" because said post's originator disagrees with someone being overly enthusiastic about a trivial point?

I agree with you on that point, but it is only one post, hardly indicative of the whole thread.

I largely agree with the points everyone else is making. We wouldn't use the terms Shadow or Legendary Pokémon the way we do if they weren't given that way in official texts.

This is a non-issue.

Or at least it should be.

In order to truly make this a non-issue I propose we rewrite all sentences involving (g|G)litch Pokemon so that the word (g|G)litch appears at the beginning of the sentence.

I don't think this is worth fussing over, but i think a capital is probably better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom