• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gold and Silver DS: Discussion, Debate, Wishlists

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree with you here. Red's face is different and so is his hair. Leaf herself was based off of a character wearing a black suit in the original, but in the remake FRLG she wore a red skirt and a blue tank top. The HGSS heroine is wearing Red just like the girl from Crystal. I think that it is a good idea to wait for an explanation to just to conclusion whether or not a character is designed or was after that character. She could very well have nothing to do with the Crystal herione, but we will not no far so unless Gamefreak informs us somewhat. I know you all going to bash and flame my theories, but that is the way I feel.

I think the girl in Crystal was meant to have more of a tomboyish look - since by their reasoning, most girls playing at that time (or would play if there was a girl character), so they made it similar to the audience they were trying to appeal to. May in RSE kept this sort of pattern.

But Dawn - and Leaf as well -, in my opinion... she just has so much more of a... feminine... look, if you understand, since from my understanding, many girls play Pokémon as well nowadays (at least younger ones), and they are trying to appeal to another audience now (the more 'girly girl' girls).

In plain terms, this is simply a marketing decision based on the audience they already have, and the new audiences they are trying to appeal to.

I just wish they would have at least kept Kris' color scheme. There's no gold or silver anywhere to be found on the new girl! (and no, her pale yellow bag doesn't count)

I think the girl in Crystal was meant to have more of a tomboyish look - since by their reasoning, most girls playing at that time (or would play if there was a girl character), so they made it similar to the audience they were trying to appeal to. May in RSE kept this sort of pattern.

But Dawn - and Leaf as well -, in my opinion... she just has so much more of a... feminine... look, if you understand, since from my understanding, many girls play Pokémon as well nowadays (at least younger ones), and they are trying to appeal to another audience now (the more 'girly girl' girls).

In plain terms, this is simply a marketing decision based on the audience they already have, and the new audiences they are trying to appeal to.

I can see your logic there. Back when Anime started, when Ash was battling, he used to turn his cap backwards, but that phased out cause, who really wears a backwards cap any more besides some rap/r'n'b stars?

Design change here is similar to this, time change. And as I said before this is not crystal they are remaking, to no Kris as she belong to crystal, not the other two games. Now can we please move on from this discussion of the female character?

Okay, the scans have given us a great amount of info.

1. Different girl. You knew that and I'm getting that out of the way.
2. We see the ilex forest. Celebi! I hope that picture leans towards you.
3. Your starter follows you. No Wailords.
4. We see (I think) Sprout Tower and the Slowpoke well. I think that the dim picture on the left of the Gold scan is an entrance image of Sprout Tower.
5. Everyone seems to think that the japanese writing says something about a skateboard.
6. Team Rocket is BACK!
7. Part of the menu can be seen on girl's scan. Over on the left in the crease.

I can't read the text but pictures are worth a thousand words. We are in for one hell of a game. :)

Last one to Olivine buys the drinks.

Mika555 said:
I disagree with you here. Red's face is different and so is his hair. Leaf herself was based off of a character wearing a black suit in the original, but in the remake FRLG she wore a red skirt and a blue tank top. The HGSS heroine is wearing Red just like the girl from Crystal. I think that it is a good idea to wait for an explanation to just to conclusion whether or not a character is designed after that character. She could very well have nothing to do with the Crystal herione, but we will not no far so unless Gamefreak informs us somewhat. I know you all going to bash and flame my theories, but that is the way I feel.

However, there aren't really anything that links the two characters together; new gold is instantly recognisable, new Red shares many features that were important to old Red's image; However, this new Kris has nothing in common with the old one at all. Not that I'm particularly for or against it, as I'll be using the male protagonist as always

On the new girl: somewhere a naked Strawberry Shortcake is crying. Seriously, what is with that hat!? Not that I play as the female character anyway, so no big deal

On the PCP: do we know if it will be available outside of Japan?

On the new(er) screenshots: And I thought I was excited about this game before?

However, there aren't really anything that links the two characters together; new gold is instantly recognisable, new Red shares many features that were important to old Red's image; However, this new Kris has nothing in common with the old one at all. Not that I'm particularly for or against it, as I'll be using the male protagonist as always
Yes the character do have something in common. I examine them really closely they both have different hair-color, both have there hair in two-pig tails curved up, they are wearing the red and white color. They may not be the same character, but they do have similarities in facial features.

Oh...I didn't know that people we're saying something about a "skateboard"

If it is true, the the original promise for GSC of a new item other than the Bicycle as transportation will be fulfilled (The skateboard was dropped off for some reason. D: Thank goodness for Tech advances in Memory capacity)

That's the reason Gold (In the PokeSupe Manga) Has a Skateboard/Scooter to move around. :3

Very, very few similarities. Personally, I don't much like the Chris look anyways. This one looks more... Well, actually I don't like it very much either. It looks to Dawn for me. What happened to having girl players that actually looked like they could travel for months on end, instead of the ones we have that only walk to the beauty parlor?

But the real question is, does it really matter? Of all the exciting things that have been released the past week and you're still rabbiting on about the characters. I didn't realise anyone actually cared about them. All I thought when I saw them was that she was wearing a stupid looking hat

What happened to having girl players that actually looked like they could travel for months on end, instead of the ones we have that only walk to the beauty parlor?

There were only what...two playable girl characters before LG girl, Dawn, and this one?

There were only what...two playable girl characters before LG girl, Dawn, and this one?

Chris, Leaf, May, Dawn.

Chris always looked weird to me.
I like Leaf.

May and Dawn... were killed by the anime. May does look cool though. But Dawn is wearing a skirt in the SNOW!

*coughs*

Moving away from characters...

The skateboard thing seems awesome, as does the starter-following-trainer thing. Actually, the whole game seems to be shaping up to be awesome just because of what has been released thus far.

I want to see the Rival artwork and a picture of Olivine (my favorite city).

I am glad to see some scans, this is looking to be an amazing game, which is fixing past mistakes/getting effort.

1. New Girl- I love how she looks. To everyone complaining, look she's obviously BASED off of Kris. We all have to remember that Kris was made to be an exclusive to Crystal. And these remakes are GOLD and SILVER. A blue haired girl wouldn't fit in as well as Celia does.
And besides, to me it's a nice touch to keep Kris Crystal exclusive, just like Pika-out-of-its-ball is exclusive to the 1st generation 3rd game, Pokemon Yellow.

2. Gold- NICE design, liking the short pants, dude. His hair does go through the hole in his cap! =O

3. Pokemon out of their balls- Hmm looks like the Chikorita wasn't a beginning of the game event. I believe this is a nice touch, now that it is truly going to be incorporated for the whole game. I don't mind having limitations on Pokemon. If it were up to me, only the first stage starters would follow you. I'm interested to see how this unfolds.

4. Sprout Tower/Slowpoke well? - NICE entrance sequence. I believe its the Sprout Tower.

5. NEP and PCP- Looks like Gold is walking into Ilex with his PCP and out comes out a Notched Ear Pichu. It confronts PCP. And then a sidequest begins where you need to find Celebi and send NEP back in time. PCP as GS Ball? PERFECT. Would love if sidequest happened, or maybe not. Hoping the Ilex PCP and NEP event is exciting.

6. Choosing a Starter- ooo looks like you are going to be able to pick a Pokemon out of the lab, in 3-d Style!

A word about pokemon selection. Best choosing screen yet.

I just had a few "Oh, duh!" moments in a row regarding the scans (which I've stopped trying to translate, because we're not gonna get any more info from them anyway). First, I'd somehow completely missed the internal shot of Sprout Tower, which is amazing.

And these obviously kill the "starter out of the PokéBall is just for the start" theory. Now, it's either gonna be an optional feature for the starter only or a permanent feature that you can't turn off except by depositing it, and it could possibly be used with other key Pokémon as well as the starter. The only screenshot where the player doesn't have their starter trailing behind them is the one at the shrine, meaning that either they don't have their starter with them, the starter's been optionally put back into its Ball, or its place has been momentarily taken by PCP while on the way to the shrine. Personally, I'm thinking it's optional, and that PCP will be able to do it as well.

I'm starting to hate this 'starter following you around' thing. It's really getting annoying, and seems to be one of those things to appeal to little kids. (OMG!! Now we can have our best friend follow us around like Ash and Pikachu!!!)

I'm starting to hate this 'starter following you around' thing. It's really getting annoying, and seems to be one of those things to appeal to little kids. (OMG!! Now we can have our best friend follow us around like Ash and Pikachu!!!)

speak for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom