• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

GSC Playthrough Thread (VC releases)

I just beat Jasmine on Silver for my 6th badge. Now I have to get past Cianwood and Olivine in my Gold version.

Current teams:

Silver- Feraligatr, Venusaur, Vulpix, Noctowl, Eevee (when the Hell are you going to evolve?)

Gold- Bayleef, Wartortle, Growlithe, Pidgeotto, Eevee (ditto above)

Are you guys using haircuts for your Eevee? Vitamins and (to a lesser extent) X items help, too.

See my edit. It might help.

And you could always change the time by holding Select, Down and B simultaneously at the title screen.

Eevee is pissing me off.

On another note, I'm off to Mahogany Town and the Lake of Rage. Jasmine was a walk in the park, especially using Attract and Swagger to pretty much disarm the Magnemite and Steelix.

Also, I'm bypassing Mount Mortar. I'm really not in the mood to deal with the Flash HM.

My team right now (kind of blows):

Muscle the Machoke: level 29
Quilava: level 26
Poliwhirl: level 27
Eevee: level 32

Last edited:
Guys!!!! My Bayleef evolved into Meganium and she is perfect!!!! I fell in love with that Pokémon all over again. Now if only Game Freak gave her a fraction of my love, she might even be competitively decent.

I arrived in Kanto and defeated Surge, Sabrina, Erika and Misty. They're so easy to beat! (I probably won't be laughing like this when I get to Red but oh well)

Also why exactly do we need to beat Kanto gym leaders again? That was never clear in GSC. And while I'm on the topic, was Kanto always filled with so many trainers? I vaguely remember it being barebones empty back then and was surprised to see they had added a ton of trainers in HGSS.

Loving this game, it made me remember why Gen 2 was my favorite

Last edited:
I arrived in Kanto and defeated Surge, Sabrina, Erika and Misty. They're so easy to beat! (I probably won't be laughing like this when I get to Red but oh well)

Also why exactly do we need to beat Kanto gym leaders again? That was never clear in GSC. And while I'm on the topic, was Kanto always filled with so much trainers? I vaguely remember it being barebones empty back then and was surprised to see they had added a ton of trainers in HGSS.

Loving this game, it made me remember why Gen 2 was my favorite
There doesn't seem to be a real in-game reason to defeating the Kanto Gym Leaders beyond...they're there. You're sorta playing Ash at that point. Get to a new region; challenge the Gym Leaders. It's what you do.

There were absolutely a ton of trainers in Kanto. The reason GSC Kanto was so barren was because of the lack of areas like the Safari Zone, Cerulean Cave, and Viridian Forest.

Last edited:

Also why exactly do we need to beat Kanto gym leaders again? That was never clear in GSC. And while I'm on the topic, was Kanto always filled with so much trainers? I vaguely remember it being barebones empty back then and was surprised to see they had added a ton of trainers in HGSS.
Remember that, back in the day, it wasn't common knowledge that Johto was right next door to Kanto. And yes, they added a ton of new things to Kanto in HGSS (I remember being most surprised to see trainers with Hoenn and Sinnoh native species).

Well, I literally had to stop the game's progression and dedicate a solid hour to it, but I did finally get to evolve my Eevee's.

How'd I do it? Apart from the usual (haircut + vitamins,) I ended up retracing my steps throughout the entire fucking region. Twice. Per game. Just to boost that stupid happiness meter. It was frustrating. It was annoying. I don't recommend it to anyone, but I did finally (FINALLY) get Espeon and Umbreon. Now to defeat Team Rocket in Mahogany Town.

Well, I literally had to stop the game's progression and dedicate a solid hour to it, but I did finally get to evolve my Eevee's.

How'd I do it? Apart from the usual (haircut + vitamins,) I ended up retracing my steps throughout the entire fucking region. Twice. Per game. Just to boost that stupid happiness meter. It was frustrating. It was annoying. I don't recommend it to anyone, but I did finally (FINALLY) get Espeon and Umbreon. Now to defeat Team Rocket in Mahogany Town.

I think my Eevee is just going to be my breeding animal for G/S or get boxed. Darn thing doesn't wanna evolve, if I had a stone I'd show it who is boss.

I went and defeated Janine, Blaine and Gary err.... Blue or whatever he's called. He will always be Gary for me. I will spend the next few weeks grinding to gain levels in order to fight Red. These will be some long few days....
I will also track Suicune and Raikou because I want to catch them before I begin completing the pokedex. I obviously won't since I have no one to trade with but I'll collect as many as I can for the bank, especially those Johto mons whose HAs I haven't been able to find. (also Espeon with Zap Cannon FTW)

Accuracy and coverage wise, how has that been working out for you?

I haven't actually used it yet because the stupid Eevee refused to evolve but I plan to migrate it to Gen 7 I won't use it in the VC games since I have practically finished the game, I only have Red to beat

I haven't actually used it yet because the stupid Eevee refused to evolve but I plan to migrate it to Gen 7 I won't use it in the VC games since I have practically finished the game, I only have Red to beat
I'm telling you, roam around Tojho once or twice. She'll evolve.

After some grinding and some backtracking, I was finally able to defeat Pryce at Mahogany town. I am now kicking Team Rocket out of the radio tower.

My teams so far are:

Silver- Feraligatr, Venusaur, Vulpix, Noctowl, Umbreon

Gold- Meganium, Blastoise, Growlithe, Pidgeot, Espeon

Anybody got two Fire Stones they're willing to part with? Or even just one I can clone? I'm willing to trade version exclusives and Kanto Starters. Cuz by God, Vulpix and Growlithe are feeling the pain of being the only unevolved members of my team.

Back
Top Bottom