• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Guess the Google Map!

Status
Not open for further replies.
All right, here goes. Eurasia.

attachment.php

(I got Aswan almost the moment I saw the picture, because it was one of the ones I'd recently taken a picture of for possible use.)

what does Eurasia mean? Is it a hint at the map or is it some sort of inside joke?

what does Eurasia mean? Is it a hint at the map or is it some sort of inside joke?

It's a public joke.

As we all know, the earth used to have all the nowaday continent all combined in a supercontinent called Pangea. After a few million years, Pangea was splitting into whta we recognize as the continents today. Eurasia is the name of section that was splitting that would eventually become Europe and Asia. It's a joke because you won't find Eurasia on a modern map, it's like me asking you to find Pangea.

oh so obviously the map is in either europe or aisa? ill look there it kinda looks like a stadium...

It's a public joke.

As we all know, the earth used to have all the nowaday continent all combined in a supercontinent called Pangea. After a few million years, Pangea was splitting into whta we recognize as the continents today. Eurasia is the name of section that was splitting that would eventually become Europe and Asia. It's a joke because you won't find Eurasia on a modern map, it's like me asking you to find Pangea.

Actually, you can and will find Eurasia on a modern map (the name you're thinking of for the ancient supercontinent is likely Laurasia, which was Europe+Asia+North America), just probably not written on it. It's a VERY commonly used term in geography to describe the landmass composed of present-day Asia (including the Middle-East) and Europe.

It is in fact arguably considered the name of the continent by many at more professional levels, with Europe and Asia being treated as subregions.

So no, it was not a joke, and yes, Murg's continent definition was very much legit (as opposed to someone using Pangaea, which would get the Cheater tag ASAP).

Just so we're clear, all the possible continental names, per Wiki :

Afro-Eurasia, which can be divided into
-Africa
-Eurasia, which can be further divided into
- -Asia
- -Europe
America, which can be divided into
-North America
-South America
Antarctica
Oceania OR Australasia, (the Pacific islands as a whole, except the Malay Archipelago*) which can be limited to
-Australia (that one big island).

*The Malay Archipelago = Indonesia, Brunei, offshore Malaysia the Phillipines.

Of all those names, the only continent name that I would call foul on anyone using is Afro-Eurasia, because, well, that's just *TOO* large.
So any of Africa, Eurasia, Asia, Europe, America, North America, South America, Antarctica, Oceania, Australasia and Australia can be used.

Last edited:
Ah, it's in space so that's why you didn't post a continent? :p

Really random guess: the Infosys building in Pune, India.

Hong Kong Exhibition Centre, Wan Chai, Hong Kong Island. It was the venue for the handoff of the island from Britain to China in 1997.

Continent is Eurasia.
Google40.jpg

Hmm, my reply didn't get through. Yes, it was the HKCEC.

This one... hmm... looks like Islamic architecture in the middle.

Not Islamic - Islamized Byzantine.

It's the Hagia Sophia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom