• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gym Leader healing-Should it happen?

Should Gym Leaders be allowed to heal?

• Yes

Votes: 19 82.6%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Don't care either way

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters

Xtra

Reaction score
Say you're fighting a gym leader or Elite 4 member, and you almost beat him or her. Then, out of nowhere, he or she pulls out a Hyper Potion and fully heals the pokemon. And sometimes they do this multiple times.

But if they're so great and experts in they're type, then they shouldn't need healing items to win. And for some (like Norman), it's not as easy to train for after you find that you need to level up some.

But then again, healing items do make the gyms harder. And since you can use them, shouldn't your opponent get the same privledge?

What do you think?

Yes it is a good thing that they heal. Gym leaders and the Elite four would be hella easier to beat if they didn't, and it would take some of the fun/challenge outa the game.

Last edited:
Sure they should be able to heal. I can heal, so they should be allowed to do that, too.

I find it frustrating. I don't use items, and one of the most annoying things about GenIII was knowing every single freaking Gym Leader had a Full Restore for every Pokemon in their @#$# team.

It can be very frustrating but when you beat them it feels much better. Also you have them so it seems logical that they should, in fact it seems logical that all the trainers should use them as they're hardly expensive (apart from the latter ones such as Max Potion) but that would be very annoying.

I think when done right, it's a good challenge. I don't use items except in emergencies, and I actually like them having an advantage over me... I feel best when I take on a gym, battle them with lower level Pokémon with type disadvantages, and still take them down.

By "done right" I mean that when the computer is set to use these items while in the red, the dumb A.I. makes it annoying. I remember battles where I would spend six turns blasting the opponent down into the red in one move, they'd use a full restore... a repeating cycle which went on until they ran out of items. That was annoying, though at least they were out of items afterwards.

It can get extremely annoying, but I like the challenge. And I like it when I do the attack and get them down pretty low in one turn, and they use max potion or full restore and then I use the same attack and it knocks them out. I'm always really happy. hahaha

mm... for some of the later Elite four members it's kind of hard when you have to resort to chipping away from health (I remember Wallace and Sharona being this way for me). Otherwise, the healing AI has been kept since Gen 1 and its easy to manipulate (with the exception of chipping). It'd be nice if Gen5 was able to see through the strategies to take into account that it heals at <30-40% (I know one example I did in DP was getting the foe about half way and then using tide).

What I really like now, is that the computer will switch on you. Not as much as a human (which would be good to see at times), but I think that's a good step forwards.

I'm just glad they don't use revives like in some ROMs I've played. Revives, although logical to use, shouldn't be used by NPC's. I mean, I only use them outside of battle so that I can go into battle with a full team.

I think that they should be able to use them, sure. Makes the game more challenging and interesting.

I really hate it when they do, especially when it gets them back to full HP, but as long as they aren't using them every turn, I'm totally fine. Just once they start going to heal every time the Pokémon hits the red zone, or have like eight full restores...

Is there a limit on how many they can use, anyway?

I do something that relates to Pie's "done right" strategy. :p

All I do is use some crappy small move, and then I use my good move. I do this because if I can just hurt the opponent a bit, then I know I won't leave it in the red when I use my good move.

Or what I do is just get it to the yellow with a few crappy moves, then I use my good move to guarantee a kill. :p

Annoying, but they still should be able to heal.

After all, aren't they the smart ones? Aren't they people?!

Well, in the game anyway. In real life there aren'treally things called 'Gym Leaders'

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom