• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Hardest Battle?

And remember that Blizzard never misses during hail.

I don't remember all the details of my battle vs. Red, Typhlosion and Luxray were my top two, followed by Lucario, and Noctowl (and whomever else I packed along for the battle). Luxray didn't have a problem with his Water type (Blastoise, I think) and Noctowl took out his Venusaur despite being lower levelled, but didn't last much longer so I had him do a Sunny Day to set the field for Typhlosion to do some Eruptions with. (Which did about 70% damage to ... I think it was Lapras?) Lucario ultimately finished the job (Red saved his Snorlax for last, but there was no stopping Lucario by this point).

As for my Emerald battle, it's too bad my Shedinja was down (yes, I packed a Shedinja into the E4 despite the first two being Dark and Ghost and the third constantly causing Hail) because apparently it would have been totally immune to 4 of the Champ's 6 Pokemon. I still used Shedinja a lot when trying to capture the Weather Trio (with Protect in tow, not even the Lv.70 Rayquaza could land any hits on it).

Last edited:
Um, back in Emerald I had mixed records with my friends. That was when I discovered that when you mix records, you receive your friends secret base. I talked to him without knowing that it makes you battle them. He had 3 hacked lv 100 Pokemon, including a Mewtwo. I only had my Swampert which was lv 40, two other random Pokemon and an egg lol :"D

I lost, ofcourse.

In game, it has to be Steven, Emerald only. I think that game was the only Pokemon game to really test my strengths as a trainer. = P

So far, Pokémon Ranger Katelyn at Sevault Canyon. Her Chansey was so annoyingly hard! I fought it with my tired Moltres. It kept using minimize, defense curl and softboiled so much that most of moltres' abilities went 0 PP, except for fire spin, which inflicted no damage at all.
Several minutes later, I finished the bastard.

Yeah, evasion techniques are seriously annoying if you don't have a Pokemon knowing Foresight/Haze or an always-hits move like Swift.

I have a feeling this thread will be quite fun to read. :D

I've had many tough battles, but one particular incident in the battle subway stands out in my mind: It's both trainers last; Me with my amazing Arbok, the other guy with a brutal Bisharp. Arbok used stockpilex3 + leftovers while Bisharp attacked. It my Arbok 15 Ice Fangs and 10 Crunches to finally overwhelm Bisharp, and I eventually won!

I also recall my fights with Cynthia in Pearl. I had a Strong Luxray, Palkia, Infernapee and Haunter(I didn't know it evolved by trading). I eventually beat her with a Purugly and a Chatot.

I remember once before I beat her it was all down to Infernape vs. her Roserade. Infernape, my powerhouse, had practically no PP left, and Shadow Ball and Poison Point plus the effects of Close Combat eventually led to my downfall.

On my rematch with her after I beat her, My Luxray blew my mind as he flash-crunched his way right through her Garchomp. He even withstood an Earthquake and a Dragon Rush and beat her!

Last edited:
Hardest battle for me was red in crystal...the gold days when i used to EQ everything!

Mine was Champion Iris in White 2. Even though I had a guidebook with me, her Pokémon kept using moves SE to mine. Eventually it came down to me spamming revives and hoping her Haxorus would KO itself from Outrage confusion.

My battle against Blue in FireRed may have been harder, but that was years ago and I can't remember it that well anymore.

Not necessarily the hardest, but epic nonetheless:

Gym Leader battle against Clay in White 1. When he sent out that Excadrill, I sent out Servine (unaware that Excadrill is part Steel). Leech Seed, plus several Growths . . . Clay used up all his items, but I outlasted him (Mega Drain's HP recovery certainly helped a lot here). And Clay's final Pokemon in the battle was . . . Siesmitoad? That thing never knew what hit it.

My Iris Gym battle in White 1 didn't go down easily, but it did go down eventually, with Serperior outlasting her Haxorus primarily via Leech Seed.

Honestly, I have a couple from each game I've played.

Iris was somewhat challenging in Black 2, only one Pokemon was a problem though, so it was easy battle otherwise.

Lance was a challenge no doubt when I just truly began my Pokemon adventure way back when I was in 7th Grade. But, I defeated him on my first attempt after some revives.

Then, there was Cynthia, she was somewhat hard, but I defeated her after some work too, and it's funny as my little brother took several hours to do it. XD

But the hardest HAS to be Red. When I just went there to find him and see his power, my super fast Typhlosion lost first turn, in speed and level. So I trained and trained. I got all the Gym Leader numbers, called them all up, and tore through their teams until everyone was a high enough level. After that, I went back up, and practically had a hard time still, although I was happy my Typhlosion out sped Pikachu. After sometime, it was a one on one between his Charizard and my Sudowoodo, who was almost to half his HP. I thought I would be finished after the Blast Burn, but lucky me with type advantage, survived, and knocked out the Charizard with full HP with a Rock Slide. It was after this that no other battle didn't feel as hard anymore. XD

Those were my most epic battles.

For me, when it came to training up to challenge Red, I actually used the Pokewalker a lot. My RL job entails a lot of walking (like 20,000 steps over an 8-hour shift), which is easily enough to level-up even a Lv.70 Pokemon. Plus the bonus of rarer items and non-Johto Pokemon (like Skitty).

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom