• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Hardest Gym Leader?

Hardest regions for gyms?

• Kanto

Votes: 12 11.1%
  • Johto

Votes: 39 36.1%
  • Hoenn

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • Sinnoh

Votes: 14 13.0%
  • Unova

Votes: 8 7.4%

• Total voters

XxLTxX

Talking Mudkip
Reaction score
For Kanto it was Misty cuz Pikachu kept getting confused and fainted (although it was overtrained)
Johto are all the same for me
Hoenn is Norman. Had to train Sceptile all the way to 36 to get it to evolve.
Sinnoh.... never played.
Unova BW was Elesa. Took 3 tries. BW2 was same.

What about u guys?

Overall, I'd have to say the gym leader that ever gave me the most grief was Whitney, Goldenrod Gym, Gen II. Freakin Miltank, man. You pretty much have to go get a machop or something for that fight, unless you want to spend another two hours just grinding to beat her with your other pokemon. Granted fighting types are very good, I never used them when I was a kid playing Silver version so I got very angry with Whitney every time I started a new game.

Johto. When you say Jotho, you mean Whitney. And when you say Whitney, you mean Whitney's Miltank. One of the reasons for this is how early Whitney appears in the game, and sometimes you even don't get a fighting type to deal with Miltank. Other tough gyms are, as you say, Norman in R/S, his second Slaking is badass, and the two first from Unova, they have pretty high level pokemons for being the first gyms, however, you get the monkey before the first gym, and near Lenora is plenty of nice fighting types which are really helpful, Timburr is a good choice for a permanent team member.

Whitney. It was all fine and good until the Miltank. Dear god the Miltank :uhoh:
That thing was rage inducing to the extreme... Finally beat it using Fighting types, but man, I've never had that much trouble with a gym leader before

Goddamn Tate and Liza.I'm stil training up a Crawdaunt so I can get past it...... On another topic,Is sceptile good?

Goddamn Tate and Liza.I'm stil training up a Crawdaunt so I can get past it...... On another topic,Is sceptile good?

Yea. Sceptile owns those lunatones and solrocks as if it was a rock type gym.

Probably Johto for me because I often had trouble with Whitney, Morty and Clair back in the GSC days. Clair can still be pretty tough in the remakes actually.

Why is everyone having problems with johto? It's like, i just keep overtraining my pokes for some reason, just don't know why. I don't even bother to ev train in GSC lol.
Well miltank is pretty hard i guess. Stupid milk drink for potions, and rollout totally owned my quilava.

I never have troubles with gym leaders anymore, but I guess I would say Norman is the hardest gym leader.

Sinnoh for me. Their strongest Pokemon are often very powerful for the stage of the game and are a nightmare for a team that are still developing to stand up to. The last three (Byron, Candice and Volkner) are pretty easy, though Candice also turns into a pain in Platinum. (For the wrong reasons. Damn evasion boosting techniques)

Hoenn has by far the toughest Gym Leaders. I lost three times to Brawly (stupid Vital Throw), very nearly lost to Norman even though I had the type advantage with my Blaziken, and Tate and Liza were a royal pain in the ass (fucking Psychic attacks).

For me, Johto. It took me over 20 tries to beat Morty (the funny thing was, I went out and caught a Stantler and beat him immediatly...) and I still haven't got past Clair. Falkner was quite hard, considering I had absolutely nothing on my team that was very effective on his Pokémon. But I actually found Whitney's Milktank easy. Strange.

Kanto: Brock, because I always chose the Fire starter and you had nothing to go against them with.
Johto: Whitney/Clair. Again I chose the Fire starter and had to train up a Dratini and a Magneton to beat her and everyone knows how hard she was.
Hoenn: Winnona. Norman was easy because I had a Pelipper with Protect: (i.e. Protect, Slack Off, Protect etc)
Sinnoh: Crasher Wake as I had no electric types
Unova: Lenora/Elesa: Elesa I just got a Boldore and Sandile but she was still tricky.

If I renember rightly, Whitney's Miltank was hell getting past, think it took 5 attempts... :\

For me it was both Unova and Johto. I didn't really had a problem with Whitney and her Miltank mostly because soon I figured I'd just paralize it. Now Morty and Clair on the other hand gave me a lot of trouble. Morty swept through my whole team just by using a single shadow ball, eventually I had to give my Nidorina a quick claw and teach it shadow claw. Clair was annoying with her Kingdra since I couldn't find a Dratini and Ice attacks did normal damage. As for Unova it will always be Elesa and her god damn Emolga's. Even Sandile had trouble taking care of them.

Never had any problem with Whitney.

Anyway, I'd say Juan. That double teaming Kingdra and Wiscash was a pain, mainly because I had no Grass moves. Hoenn easily did have the hardest leaders.

Kanto:...Can't say any of them ever gave me too much trouble expect for Sabrina.
Johto:Jasmine.
Hoenn: OH MY GOD WINONA AND HER ALTARIA.
Sinnoh: OH MY GOD FANTINA AND HER MISMAGIUS.
Unova: OH MY GOD ELESA AND HER EMOLGA.
(...Noticing a pattern with the last few regions I mentioned? 8D)

Hoenn kick my ass a little. For some reason Brawly was a challenge even though I had type advantage with Ralts. Norman was tough with his Slaking. Tate and Liz destroyed me since Claydol knew earthquake. I had to overtrain in order to beat Tate and Liz. I haven't really had trouble with any other gym though. I've played through Gen I and Gen III. I'm going through Gen IV right now.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom