• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Harvest Moon (Story of Seasons)/ Rune Factory General Discussion Thread

Re: Harvest Moon/ Rune Factory General Discussion Thread

I will always remember @Kaori; our young section head whom we've all lost to the charm of Alpacas in Harvest Moon A New Beginning. She will always be dearly remembered, and in our hearts!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And in other news Rune Factory 4 comes out October 1st! I'm so friggin happy, excited, and overall I just can't handle the feels! Cause I've been wanting to play for ages. <3 ;_;

Last edited:

I've got RF4 preordered on Amazon as well. Excitement!

Though I have to beat it before Pokemon X comes out >__> Probably not going to happen.

Though I have to beat it before Pokemon X comes out >__> Probably not going to happen.

I'm not the only one! Yay! So have any fave characters in RF4?

I'm not the only one! Yay! So have any fave characters in RF4?

I don't actually. I know all the villagers/bachelor(rettes) but I don't know much more than that. Going into it pretty much blind.

Has anyone beaten Rune Prana completely (In Rune Factory 4)? I'm having some issues getting through Rune Prana (Level 5, the cave level) with all the poison rooms and level 250 and above monsters, I'm getting the floor wiped with me. Not even my best weapons are having much effect (though they only do close to 2000 damage, which isn't really that much.) and I'm level 180. Any advice to make this hell hole an easier place to work with?

I played the DS Run Factory a load, eventually got bored of it but it was a good time killer. I saw a load of the gameplay of the Wii version on YT, looked fun.

Has anyone beaten Rune Prana completely (In Rune Factory 4)? I'm having some issues getting through Rune Prana (Level 5, the cave level) with all the poison rooms and level 250 and above monsters, I'm getting the floor wiped with me. Not even my best weapons are having much effect (though they only do close to 2000 damage, which isn't really that much.) and I'm level 180. Any advice to make this hell hole an easier place to work with?

Besides the fact your still way ahead of me, have you tried super failed dishes or failed dishes in general? In Rune Factory 3 I tossed a few of those at bosses which did help me out plus they were found around said dungeon which made them handy weapons.

But then again, I dunno if this applies to RF4. :T

Honestly, I'm not liking the look of The Lost Valley aesthetically or in actual gameplay.

[video=youtube_share;vP7NMd5P-EE]http://youtu.be/vP7NMd5P-EE[/video]

Aside from the fact that I feel like they aren't really doing the subject matter full visual justice... The reason I initially loved Harvest Moon so much as a series was the simplicity. It provided an escapism no other game ever did at the time. I know a lot of people might be really excited for this Minecraft-esque level of influence over the landscape and the kind of interaction you have with your farmland, but I feel like it's giving me too much influence. A New Beginning was really as far as I would ever want to remotely go with the "being responsible for a large amount of land/the entire town/literally physically shaping the whole place" thing; I just want to be a simple farmer when I play these games, but increasingly it seems that to progress, you have to exercise this strategic, planning-to-reach-every-precisely-necessary-objective, god-like power over the town and your farm. For some people that does the trick, but for me, it turns a series that usually struck a very enjoyable balance between control and realistic, relaxing minimalism into yet another story of how you have to save the day and it's your world. If I wanted that, I'd play a more typical RPG... Or Minecraft, y'know? I appreciate the increasing depth they have given character interaction, appearance customisation, livestock variety and festivals and the likes, but for me, physically shaping the land to that extent just gives me more responsibility and more options than I want to have, because it will really make me feel like I need to be the kind of player who pre-plans every single thing for maximum efficiency and profitability to be successful in the game, whereas before I would have been happy to be a relatively contained farmer in a simple, relatively realistic setting.

In that vein, I'm really more excited for Story of Seasons, to be honest, which for all intents and purposes I will still consider a Harvest Moon game even if not in name. It seems truer to the balance I've enjoyed from the series thus far.

I don't know this thread is exsist.

I won't judge TLV before they are ready. For me, Natsume seems have a nice concept for the gameplay. I don't play minecraft, but the concept, I guess is to replace mining concept that was part of HM games in the past but 'died' in new Marvelous' series. But let's wait and see how it turn into. And would it ruin the fun of HM's simplicity or not.

Story of seasons also excite me but Two Towns are the best HM game so far for me. I'm not a big fan of ANB cause they make building city a necesarry thing, and I'm not a fan of build-destroy things....

(Yeah, there are a lot of threads you might not immediately notice in this section. Feel free to use the Index if you want to see some of the main threads we have around!)

That's a very good point. Sometimes I find it hard not to pre-judge based on trailers and photos. It depends how far they go with these new features, whether they make them necessary to successfully farm and so on. It's good that they're trying new things, and it will be interesting to see if this block-by-block land modification will extend to bringing full mining back, which I can see being interesting with these new mechanics - maybe we can build platforms of land to reach things to mine in walls?

Really? I gave up on The Tale of Two Towns after marriage because I felt it was too much effort to meet the financial cost of the house upgrade needed to have a child. Making money felt so slow in that game, but maybe I was just doing something wrong? I was never really that excited for it, to be honest, even though I adore the designs of the towns and environments.

I can relate concerning ANB, though - I can definitely see how that feature became too much for some people. I was a little overwhelmed and discouraged by it at first - a farming life sim suddenly asking me to rebuild a whole town?! - but in the end I came to accept and enjoy some aspects of it. It gives it a little more long-term playability in that there's that bit more to do, if nothing else, so you typically take longer to achieve all the goals rather than it just being a totally open ended, completely farming-only game that some might tire of quickly. But I know I've seen quite a few people who enjoyed the series and didn't really like that aspect of ANB. They can't really please everybody.

I like getting money... I restart my Two Town game several times to try best strategy to gain much money, so I don't feel the problem here... Money always my objective on HM's game *sparkling eyes*.

Ohhh this is HM/RF thread... RF 4 then... Awesome and best RF game. I FINALLY A GIRL *on RF*

I'm the opposite, I only care for money when I need it to upgrade my house or farm, or buy livestock or clothes. After that, I don't mind - my focus is usually on getting married and having children, and I'm guilty of getting bored and giving up not long after that if I completed the storyline before that.

I'm so sad the RF4's release was cancelled in Europe! I couldn't get into the first RF because I couldn't play as a female character right off the bat - that really matters to me in games with life sim elements. So I was really excited for RF4 and was hoping it would encourage me back into the series.

omg The Lost Valley has such big heads sprite wise in comparison to A New Beginning. I'm not sure if I can get used to that personally, I didn't play Magical Melody because of the sprites either.

But I definitely see the minecraft-esque feel, I'm not sure if I love it or hate it personally. Guess I'm a bit neutral on that.

Kaori said:
I'm so sad the RF4's release was cancelled in Europe! I couldn't get into the first RF because I couldn't play as a female character right off the bat - that really matters to me in games with life sim elements. So I was really excited for RF4 and was hoping it would encourage me back into the series.

It is weird the series was male only until Tides of Destiny was released, but even then you played as male for a huge majority of the game considering the protagonists shared a body.

But of course I have no problems being male since the girls are usually cuter. :B

But I feel the vibe of HM Back to Nature n64 on the TLV's video.

Which is my very first HM game..

And make me hype, little bit...

I never played Back to Nature myself, I think since my first game was A Wonderful Life for the Gamecube I've been accustomed to bigger sprites. That's just my personal preference. x)

Aside from that I much prefer slaying dragons and bosses in RF. Though if RF adopted the customization for you character like HM does aside from the small accessories here and there I'd be a very happy camper.

I prefer RF than HM too since RF 1 is out. I even hate the gathering things on HM cute and HM island series, and even consider to not continue HM series at all. It was Grand Bazaar that took me back to be HM fangirl.

Blow to spinning the wheell... and the bazaar concept, I really love it. Also the game itself is so simple with beautiful artwork. And Lloyd is my perfect bachelor. A merchant, glasses, black medium hair... Damn... perfect!!

Let me just say that my older sister...she was a HUGE fan of Harvest Moon 64 back in the day. Like every day, I'd come home from school (hers is closer to home) to find her in my bedroom, raising livestock on my gaming system. She had gotten the best ending!

Sadly, she wasn't a fan of the other series, but it was still fun while it lasted. :)

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom