• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Has your favourite animal been made into a Pokemon?

Winterdaze

fight me
Reaction score
Simply enough, is there a Pokemon based on your favourite animal? If there is, are you happy with how it turned out, or were you hoping for something different? If there isn't, then what kind of Pokemon would you like to see it adapted into?

Most people probably know by now that sea lions are my favourite animal, and I couldn't have been happier with Samurott. I love how it isn't just a copy/paste of the real animal, but incorporates stylised samurai characteristics without being too anthropomorphic.

Yes. Since all the way back in Generation I, as a matter of fact:

rattata_and_raticate_by_asceline-d64iswz.png

(source)

Like every regional early Normal type that's followed in their footsteps, these guys have been the butt of countless jokes about how unfashionable they are to a lot of players, but I really couldn't give a toss. I couldn't be happier with these little guys - they're cute as a button, and they managed to Hyper/Super Fang their way through endless opponents for me back in Blue. In the years that have followed, I have always managed to honour them by making the regional early Normal type of each generation my very first capture, and keeping a spot for them on my team all throughout the game.

Yep - we've had both the Teddiursa line and the Cubchoo line for bears, and I love them both. My favorite type of bear, the grizzly (or any kind of brown bear) hasn't been covered though, and it's something I'd like to see in a future generation because I love seeing how the same animal being the basis of several unique Pokemon.

My very close second favorite animals, tigers, haven't been treated well at all really - the only ones we've got are Arcanine and Raikou which are more based off Chinese lions and Raiju respectively. Considering we've never had a pure tiger Pokemon, perhaps Gen VI would be a good time to introduce one, maybe as a counterpart to Litleo.

Yes. Cats, elephants, and chameleons are some of my favorites. A koala Pokemon would be nice too.

My favorite animal is a Penguin and no, I am not satisfied with Piplup.
I would wanna see atleast 2 other species of penguins made into Pokemon.
First up is the Galapagos penguin. A very rare pokemon with only 1% - 5% rarity in the wild.
It has only one evolution. The final stage total stats would be 530. The type would be Water/Ice.
HP(80) Atk(130) Def(50) SpAtk(60) SpDef(85) Spd(120)

Second is based on a crested Penguin. It has 2 evolutions and the typing would be Ice/Fighting.
Final stage total stats would be 520.
HP(100) Atk(100) Def(80) SpAtk(100) SpDef(80) Spd(60)

small cats and big cats are some of my fav animals in the world which they have covered. they have not really made one for a tiger though so i hope for a tiger in gen 6
i love seals as well so those have been covered.
i am also a big fan of dolphins so i have yet to see a dolphin pokemon. i look forward to one.
i also have a real interest in the Thylacine (also known as the Tasmanian Tiger) and i would love to see a pokemon based off of it

I'm rather fond of the platypus, and they haven't got a Pokemon based off of them. Before someone says it, no. Psyduck is a duck, not a platypus. I'd really like a more platypus-like Pokemon than a duck.

I don't have a particular favorite animal, but I really like birds (specially owls and crows) and also tortoises and bears. I am satisfied with Torterra and Honchkrow, but I am yet to see decent bear- or owl-based Pokémon. Ursaring and Beartic are really boring (although I really liked Paul's Ursaring in the anime) and Noctowl's design is bland as hell. I really hope that that rumor about Pancham evolving into a Fighting/Dark Pokémon turns out to be true, perhaps its evolution will be the first bear-based Pokémon I will like. As for owls, I'd love a Ghost-type Pokémon, perhaps based on barn owls?

I like parrots, but Chatot isn't what comes to mind when it comes to parrots, because I imagine parrots being more upright. Tortoises are quite awesome, so that one also has quite a few examples. There's also a sea star Pokemon in existence already, though it is not my favourite type. Generally, I don't quite know what's my favourite animal until I see the Pokemon in question, so that is hard to say. Still, here are some favourites that are not done before:

- I kind of like koalas, but we have yet to have a koala Pokemon.
- Scallops are also unique in a way that I like, but I am unsure if the current Pokemon fit into scallops, since I am uncertain about the difference between scallops and oysters.
- Hamsters are quite cute too, but we haven't got a hamster Pokemon yet. Maybe someday, or they could surprise us in Generation 6 by giving us something like a hamster.
- Porcupines are cool, and even though they have quills like hedgehogs, they are not related (the former is a rodent, the latter is not).
- The kiwi bird is one of New Zealand's animals, and as with the kakapo (itself a type of parrot), they are cute. We need more flightless birds to balance all the flighty ones we currently have, since it's one way to introduce more birds without introducing more Flying-types.

Thanks for reading.

There is only one giraffe like Pokémon, unfortunately. I do like Girrafirig's design (excuse me if I didn't spell that right).

Unfortunately there's no cuttlefish Pokemon yet.

I was satisfied with Frillish and Jellicent for jellyfish, not so much with Tentacruel and Tentacool.

I still wish they'd have a more terrifying and accurate anglerfish, since I really dislike Lanturn. Maybe a new anglerfish could even be all-female or mostly-female, given how angler biology works.

My favorite animal is the kangaroo. According to Bulbapedia, Kangaskhan is a Pokemon based on a kangaroo but to me it looks more like a dinousaur. So no, I'm not satisfied with it.

My favorite animal is the kangaroo. According to Bulbapedia, Kangaskhan is a Pokemon based on a kangaroo but to me it looks more like a dinousaur. So no, I'm not satisfied with it.

Breloom? That's pretty kangaroo-esque.

As for me, yep. OTTERS. F YEA.

Too bad they ruined Dewott with its evolution. (Sorry, Winterdaze, but I am a Samurott hater...)

Breloom also happily fills my kangaroo love (and I agree, Kangaskhan is pretty reptilian), and Cyndaquil my hedgehog love (I guess Shaymin too, but I really dont like Shaymin very much).

Something I'd love to see is a Water/Grass type otter that's all marsh-inspired.

I don't know if any of the seal Pokemon resemble leopard seals, so technically no.

I love bats which obviously have been made into Zubat, Golbat, etc.

Yes, there are cat and fox-like pokémon. I love Ninetales and Fennekin. I like Skitty and Purrloin too, but I don't like their evolutions or the other cats. So they could make a better cat, I guess.
I'd also love a wolf pokémon.

I'm a big fan of mustelids, especially otters, and as a result, many of my favorite Pokemon are mustelid-based. Floatzel and Dewott are both otters, and Mienshao is an ermine/stoat. I also like Linoone, which is a badger. I'm not really a fan of Furret though, I think it doesn't look anything like the animal it's based on, just a random fluffy thing, but that's just my opinion. I'm hoping really hard for a mustelid Pokemon in Gen 6, namely a winter stoat or a fire weasel.

I have the same opinion as you, I never even saw Kangaskhan as even resembling a kangaroo, the only resemblance it has to one is the pouch, and even then, there are several mammals that have pouches, but it indeed resembles a dinosaur more than anything else, namely the kind that would attack Tokyo on a frequent basis.

Breloom? That's pretty kangaroo-esque.

As for me, yep. OTTERS. F YEA.

Too bad they ruined Dewott with its evolution. (Sorry, Winterdaze, but I am a Samurott hater...)

Breloom also happily fills my kangaroo love (and I agree, Kangaskhan is pretty reptilian), and Cyndaquil my hedgehog love (I guess Shaymin too, but I really dont like Shaymin very much).

Something I'd love to see is a Water/Grass type otter that's all marsh-inspired.

I would like a marsh-inspired Otter as well, because otters are my favorite animal, and while Samurott isn't nessicary an otter Pokemon, I still like it, albeit not as much as Dewott.

Also, Chespin is arguably a hedgehog as well, and I'm fine with Shaymin, even though I prefer the sky forme over the land one.

Hedgehogs are another of my favourite animals, although I disagree about Cyndaquil - his elongated snout suggests that the primary inspiration for his design was an echidna, or spiny anteater.

To date, land forme Shaymin is probably the most accurate-looking representation we have of a hedgehog, though Chespin ranks a bit higher on my favourites list. He's a much more stylised representation of the species than is Shaymin, but the chestnut connection makes it plausible and is, in my view, pretty inspired (given the obvious resemblence that chestnut shells bear to curled up hedgehogs).

I'm a big fan of mustelids, especially otters, and as a result, many of my favorite Pokemon are mustelid-based. Floatzel and Dewott are both otters, and Mienshao is an ermine/stoat. I also like Linoone, which is a badger. I'm not really a fan of Furret though, I think it doesn't look anything like the animal it's based on, just a random fluffy thing, but that's just my opinion. I'm hoping really hard for a mustelid Pokemon in Gen 6, namely a winter stoat or a fire weasel.
Pretty much everything that Robo-Floatzel mentioned here is true for me as well. My favorite #1 favorite animal, weasels, are already made into a Pokemon - Mienfoo & Mienshao!! and also love sea-otters so Buizel and Dewott are very high on my favorites. A fire-type mustelid would be an awesome addition to any team.

I also love cats, there are plenty of them as well - Meowth, Persian, Skitty, Delcatty, Shinx, Luxio, Luxray, Glameow, Purugly, Purrloin, Liepard, and the now introduced Litleo. I really want now is water-type cat Pokemon.

Also with Zangoose being a mixture of the two above, to me, sort of resembles half-cat and half-marten!!

With my 3rd favorite animals, I believe also has been made into Pokemon, members of the Civet family (civets, genets, mangoose, binturongs, and meerkats). Watchog being the main one, half-meerkat.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom