• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Help me build a team!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poison Master

is watching you...
Reaction score
I'm not sure where this should go, so don't critize me.

Anyway, I want to make a team for battling over wi-fi and whatnot, and I want as much type diversity as possible, but I can't think of what to do. I also want at least 1 Water, 1 Fire and 1 Grass type in there. Also the fire type will be a Houndoom. Plus if you can help me think of nicknames it would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Firstly, this should go here: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/forumdisplay.php?f=349

Secondly, seeing as you are using a Houndoom, I suggest using the UU FWG core. So I suggest adding a Venusaur and an Azumarill, but thats just an exhample, Sceptile works wonders if you want a more offensive approach, and there are plenty of water types to help out Azumarill.

Is this going to be a Standard OU team, or is it UU/NU?

UU FWG? OU Team? UU/NU?

Sorry Im a big n00b.

This website will help, alot.

http://www.smogon.com/

UU FWG - Underused Fire-Water-Grass core. Its an offensive coreused in the UU (Underused) tier (See website). An Exhample (Arcanine, Venusaur, Azumarill) Is used to attack. If Arcanine is about to be hit by a Starmie's Surf, it can switch to Azumarill who can take the attack easily. Likewise, should Starmie lash back with Thunderbolt, Venusaur can come in and take the Thunderbolt instead. If Starmie uses Ice beam, Arcanine can take it for Venusaur. It provides cover for a multitude of threats.

OU - Overused Tier - Pokemon which are very good at competitive battling. Houndoom is an UU pokemon, so i was wondering if it was an OU team or a UU/NU one. (NU is a tier below UU) See the website for details.

Putting aside the FWG core, you'll need more than three pokemon. You'll find these terms very useful.

Lead - A pokemon that is sent out first, used to Set up for the rest of the team and make it easier on them. Pokemon that can Set up Spikes, Toxic Spikes or Stealth Rock are called 'Spiker leads', Pokemon that set up Light Screen and/or Reflect are called 'Screeners'. There are other leads, some use Taunt or Torment, some give status conditions, some set up weather.

Sweeper - Your primary attacking pokemon. Sweepers are usually pokemon that hit fast and hard. Some use Physical attacks (Scizor, Garchomp, Tyranitar), Some use Special Attacks (Alakazam, Porygon-Z, Gengar) and Some use both (Infernape, Salamence). Some sweepers rely on boosts to sweep, A Kingdra with Swift Swim has doubled speed and powered up water attacks when in rain. Metagross can use agility to add to its already powerful attack. A Rampardos can have its low speed turned upside down in a Trick Room, and can then use its newfound speed and already monstrous attack to plow teams. A Sub type of Sweepers, sometimes called Tanks, rely on defense instead of speed, taking the foes attack and replying with something powerful.

I'll post more later...my fingers hurt...

Last edited:
No just a mixed team for battling.

:sweat: Dude, you can't just use attacking pokemon. Thats gonna get you nowhere. What will you do against Trick room, or if you're Stealth Rocked, when all you can do is attack?

lanturn or jolteon are good if you want electric lanturn is also water so its good and they both have volt absorb so that electric attacks help you also lapras mantine and politoed are good watertypes if you dont want the water electric type lanturn because they have water absorb

lanturn or jolteon are good if you want electric lanturn is also water so its good and they both have volt absorb so that electric attacks help you also lapras mantine and politoed are good watertypes if you dont want the water electric type lanturn because they have water absorb

Dude! Full stops!

But anyway, thats quite good, and just reminded me...

Golduck can help your Houndoom by absorbing Water attacks, Encoring the switch and then letting loose.

:sweat: Dude, you can't just use attacking pokemon. Thats gonna get you nowhere. What will you do against Trick room, or if you're Stealth Rocked, when all you can do is attack?

My entire shoddy team is hugely offensive. I have a stealth rocker and a rapid spinner (Donphan FTW), but the rest of them are pretty much sweepers. It all depends on your style.

I can't give you any tips because you didn't include your Houndoom's nature, moveset, stats, or held items. All of those contribute to a correct possibility of a good battling pokemon. It sounds like you're looking for dual types. Like someone else stated before, Lanturn is a great choice for your water type simply because you can paralyze the foe and surf spam it to death. I also recommend EV training your party before taking challenges, most of the foes in Wi-Fi are seasoned battlers.

My entire shoddy team is hugely offensive. I have a stealth rocker and a rapid spinner (Donphan FTW), but the rest of them are pretty much sweepers. It all depends on your style.

Hyper Offense can work, but you still need some support. At least you have Donphan, All we know about Poison Masters team is that it will include a Houndoom, with no nature of specific plan in mind.

Well I obviously include status moves.:sweat:

...Such as?

I think there's ways around it, like not relying on speed, or not being weak against rock, or attacking the Pokemon using Trick Room/Stealth Rock.

Have one or two relatively fast Pokemon (without actually focusing on their speed) as well as ones who are slow enough to utilise the foe's Trick Room, again not relying on it. Then it won't be so disastrous if they use Trick Room, or even if they decide not to.

Guys like Venusaur and Meganium will be outsped by Trick Room Pokemon, but they're not necessarily doomed as they have a balance of offence and defence. Plus a good portion of Pokemon in Trick Room teams are weak against grass. Give them Specs and Leaf Storm, train them in HP and Special Attack and they should work okay.

Empoleon might be useful. The resistances are nice, and Hydro Cannon can be devastating to a good percentage of Pokemon, especially with Specs and the 111 special attack base it has.

Since Exeggutor is the only fully-evolved non-legendary Pokemon to learn either Trick Room or Stealth Rock that resists both grass and water, having Specs + Leaf Storm and Hydro Cannon seems like a good idea.

And that's how you can get away with just attacking.

(Disclaimer: I don't necessarily know what I'm talking about)

I think there's ways around it, like not relying on speed, or not being weak against rock, or attacking the Pokemon using Trick Room/Stealth Rock.

Have one or two relatively fast Pokemon (without actually focusing on their speed) as well as ones who are slow enough to utilise the foe's Trick Room, again not relying on it. Then it won't be so disastrous if they use Trick Room, or even if they decide not to.

Guys like Venusaur and Meganium will be outsped by Trick Room Pokemon, but they're not necessarily doomed as they have a balance of offence and defence. Plus a good portion of Pokemon in Trick Room teams are weak against grass. Give them Specs and Leaf Storm, train them in HP and Special Attack and they should work okay.

Empoleon might be useful. The resistances are nice, and Hydro Cannon can be devastating to a good percentage of Pokemon, especially with Specs and the 111 special attack base it has.

Since Exeggutor is the only fully-evolved non-legendary Pokemon to learn either Trick Room or Stealth Rock that resists both grass and water, having Specs + Leaf Storm and Hydro Cannon seems like a good idea.

Thats all well, but unless we change that Houndoom everything you just said is against this team.

However, an Empoleon would be great for a core member, I think we've found our first team player.

Why'd you just post that twice? :sweat:

Houndoom
Nature: Relaxed
Alert To Sounds
Ability: Flash Fire
Moves: Heat Wave, Crunch, Thunder Fang, Howl
@Scope Lens

Pokemon: Exeggutor
Nature: Timid
Like to Thrash About
Ability: Chlorophyll
Moves: Psychic, Solar Beam, Sunny Day, Barrage
@Heat Rock

Pokemon: Lanturn
Nature: Brave
Capable of taking hits
Ability: Volt Absorb
Moves: Aqua Tail, Signal Beam, Thunderbolt, Aqua Ring
@Life Orb (This is meant to be the Tank)

Pokemon: Nidoking
Nature: Calm
Likes to thrash about
Ability: Poison Point
Moves: Poison Jab, Thrash, Earthquake, Amnesia
@Muscle Band

Pokemon: Skarmory
Nature: Adamant
Somewhat vain
Ability: Keen Eye
Moves: Steel Wing, Aerial Ace, Night Slash, Swords Dance
@Bright Powder

Froslass
Nature: Quiet
Likes to thrash about
Ability: Snow Cloak
Moves: Ice Beam, Shadow Ball, Hail, Wake-Up Slap
@Icy Rock

Thats my thought for a team. Opinions?

You definitely need a Golduck. Golduck is great because it can learn Ice Beam along with Hydro pump, so just when your friend with a Grass type thinks he has you beat, you can freeze him with Ice Beam. Golduck is also good because although it's stats are not outstanding in any category, they are also not weak in any category.

In my opinion, you should have in your party:

1. Houndoom

2. Golduck

3. Espeon / or substitute for Mewtwo, or Alakazam

4. Latias (teach it Hyper Beam, Surf, and Psychic + a healing/defensive move)

5. Zapdos ( with Drill Peck )

6. Yanma ( because it is super fast )

If you read my first post, Im looking for type diversity, also, every water type pokemon can learn ice-beam.

Houndoom
Alert To Sounds
Ability: Flash Fire
Moves: Heat Wave, Dark Pulse, Thunder Fang, Nasty Plot
@Scope Lens
There is no reason for Houndoom to be Relaxed. Houndoom is an Offensive pokemon, so Timid would be better. I see your a theorymon person, so I won't go by smogon, but your leaving out Houndooms best asset;; It's Special Attack. Thunder Fang can stay for Water types in moments of emergencey.

Pokemon: Exeggutor
Like to Thrash About
Ability: Chlorophyll
Moves: Psychic, Solar Beam, Sunny Day, Explosion
@Heat Rock
Replace Exeggutor completely. Sunny Day will NOT help Lanturn out one bit. I suggest either Sceptile or Venusaur

Pokemon: Lanturn
Nature: Calm
Capable of taking hits
Ability: Volt Absorb
Moves: Surf, Ice beam, Thunderbolt, Aqua Ring
@Life Orb (This is meant to be the Tank)
Thunderbolt and Ice Beam have great Synergy together and Ice beam would protect you from Grass types better than Signal beam. Aqua tail for Surf because Lanturn has crap Physical stats

Pokemon: Nidoking
Nature: Rash
Likes to thrash about
Ability: Poison Point
Moves: Poison Jab, Thunderbolt, Earthquake, Superpower/Ice beam
@Life Orb
Choice between Superpower or Ice beam for support. Calm wouldn't work at all for Nidoking, its a fighter. Life orb would be better for maximum damage

Pokemon: Skarmory
Nature: Adamant
Somewhat vain
Ability: Keen Eye
Moves: Stealth Rock, Brave Bird, Roost, Whirlwind
@Shed Shell
Good pokemon, bad choices. Unlike th others, Skarmory is NOT a battler, its a defensive pokemon for setting up. Shed shell to help escape when needed.

Froslass
Nature:
Likes to thrash about
Ability: Snow Cloak
Moves: Ice Beam, Shadow Ball, Hail, Wake-Up Slap
@Icy Rock
Froslass is not in my area of expertise...I don't use it and don't know much about it, have someone else examine it.

Thats my thought for a team. Opinions?

And there you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom