• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Here's how we could figure out how many Pokemon will not be in SwSh...

How many times do I have to say it? You. Don't. Buy. The. Game. For. The. Number. Of. Pokemon. In. It. You buy it to play a game! This isn't settling for less!
If an older game has 700 Pokémon and a new game has 450 with roughly the same mechanics as well as a new battle-mechanic (Gigantamax/Dynamax), while scrapping Megas/Zmoves, then it's indeed settling for less.

And if you think the coming two months will reveal new groundbreaking and substantial things for Sw/Sh never done before, then you'll be in for a treat.

Catching Pokémon is the heart of the franchise. Unlike your Digimon-example, where the story goes first, and you have just a select amount of partners/evolutions.

If an older game has 700 Pokémon and a new game has 450 with roughly the same mechanics as well as a new battle-mechanic (Gigantamax/Dynamax), while scrapping Megas/Zmoves, then it's indeed settling for less.

Catching Pokémon is the heart of the franchise. Unlike your Digimon-example, where the story goes first, and you have just a select amount of partners/evolutions.
We've played pokemon games with 500 with the same mechanics and no megas or z-moves. Have we forgotten what things used to be like?

We've played pokemon games with 500 with the same mechanics and no megas or z-moves. Have we forgotten what things used to be like?
But why settle for less? Why wouldn't they include as many as possible, like XY/SM?

You know, our ancestors were doing fine without cars, planes, videogames etc. Would you be? No, exactly. Standards shouldn't be lowered.

Cause we don't need all 800 to enjoy a pokemon game! It's not that hard!
Well, I disagree. I would've wanted all Pokémon, but I understand they couldn't keep them all in. I'd like them to keep the standard of the last few gens, though. That should be humanely possible it seems from back then. So, if you don't need a big amount, that's fine, that's personal, but don't talk like it would be a reasonable thing. 'Cause it's not; it's settling for less.

Cause we don't need all 800 to enjoy a pokemon game! It's not that hard!

Maybe you don’t, but some people like to use their old Pokémon, have a lot of options when making a team, etc. There’s not one way to enjoy a Pokémon game. Some people could care less about the amount of monsters in the game, but to others that’s a major selling point. You personally might not need all 800+ monsters, but some people do.

Well, I disagree. I would've wanted all Pokémon, but I understand they couldn't keep them all in. I'd like them to keep the standard of the last few gens, though. That should be humanely possible it seems from back then. So, if you don't need a big amount, that's fine, that's personal, but don't talk like it would be a reasonable thing.
It's not personal, it's a freaking fact. I gurantee you don't care about all pokemon, just one you like. I know for a fact there are pokemon you hate, as well as like. How do I know? Cause that's eveyone, so please don't act like you do

It's not personal, it's a freaking fact. I gurantee you don't care about all pokemon, just one you like. I know for a fact there are pokemon you hate, as well as like. How do I know? Cause that's eveyone, so please don't act like you do
You don't know me at all. So, don't pretend you do. Also, every 'mon is someone's favorite.

If you want to be a minimalist, then that's fine. I'd rather have Gamefreak keep the same standard or even improve upon it, though.

You don't know me at all. So, don't pretend you do. Also, every 'mon is someone's favorite.

If you want to be a minimalist, then that's fine. I'd rather have Gamefreak keep the same standard or even improve upon it.
Someone's, not everyone is yours. If you want to speak for yourself, then don't include someone else. It's your opinion. It's not that I want to game to be smaller or not have as many options. I just know that every pokemon is not needed for a game to be enjoyable.

Someone's, not everyone is yours. O if you want to speak for yourself, then don't include someone else. It's your opinion. It's not that I want to game to be smaller or not have as many options. I just know that every pokemon is not needed for a game to be enjoyable.
Again, I only said I'm a bit disappointed with the Dexit. I don't expect all of the 900-1000 different models to be in at the same time (I'd appreciate patches in the future, though), as it's a humongous amount of work.

But that was not my point. My point was that Gamefreak has managed to include 700+ 'mons in the last two generations. Generations that needed new models from scratch. Generation 8 will use the same models, so it'd be nice if they can keep the same standard of Pokémon into the game, as they evidently managed to do so in the past, as well.

So, it would be reasonable to expect around 600 'mons. That's still not all of them; more than 300 would probably be missing, still.

TL;DR: I can settle for not having much more than the standard used in older gens, but I won't settle for less.

Again, I said I'm a bit disappointed with the Dexit. I don't expect all of the 900-1000 different models to be in at the same time (I'd appreciate patches in the future, though), as it's a humongous amount of work.

But that was not my point. My point was that Gamefreak has managed to include 700+ 'mons in the last two generations. Generations that needed new models from scratch. Generation 8 will use the same models, so it'd be nice if they can keep the same standard of Pokémon into the game, as they evidently managed to do so in the past, as well.

So, it would be reasonable to expect around 600 'mons. That's still not all of them; more than 300 would probably be missing, still.

I can settle for not having much more than the standard used in older gens, but I won't settle for less.
To be fair on this fact, not all pokemon are available to obtain in every game. That was the transfer feature is for. Not only to transfer some old pokemon you like, but also as a way to get pokemon without putting them in the grass somewhere in that game.

To be fair on this fact, not all pokemon are available to obtain in every game. That was the transfer feature is for. Not only to transfer some old pokemon you like, but also as a way to get pokemon without putting them in the grass somewhere in that game.
But their data was in, nonetheless.

But their data was in, nonetheless.
Data, which I thought we were at an understanding that that alone isn't what determines the price or quality, nor is it the main reason you buy a pokemon game. So with that, not every pokemon was available. If tranferring never became a feature, we'd be in the position we are in now.

Data, which I thought we were at an understanding that that alone isn't what determines the price or quality, nor is it the main reason you buy a pokemon game. So with that, not every pokemon was available. If tranferring never became a feature, we'd be in the position we are in now.
What? They are transferrable, thus obtainable. That's what matters.

They could easily put a lot of different 'mons in the Wild Area or distribute them in general if they got a lot of dex entries.

What? They are transferrable, thus obtainable. That's what matters.

They could easily put a lot of different 'mons in the Wild Area or distribute them in general if they got a lot of dex entries.
Not the point i was making. If in past games many pokemon you can't get outside outside of transferring. Again, that means not every pokemon was available without that method. We're talking about what you can go out and catch with that game alone.

Yeah some people in a discord I'm in did that, and estimate somewhere in the 400s at the very least
well that is a higher number than what I guessed, 300.
makes you wonder however, how many are actual NEW pokemon. (yes I am counting regional variants because they are in essence it's own pokemon)

Not the point i was making. If in past games many pokemon you can't get outside outside of transferring. Again, that means not every pokemon was available without that method. We're talking about what you can go out and catch with that game alone.
But we also know that the biggest amount of work goes into modelling; not into programming encounters.

So, they can easily tweak the amount of wild Pokémon. Just like the fact how the 3ds games had bigger regional dexes than older titles.

Especially if we consider that Pokémon outside of that aren't even transferrable this time.

Modeling is done by Creatures, so yeah the developers themselves, Gamefreak, do only have to worry about encounters. Also when did we jump to this?
No idea, anyway, I think I made all of my own points and thoughts clear on the whole matter.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom