• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Hikari/Dawn to appear; participating in World Tournament

She's probably staying for 10 episodes at the most, and that's probably being generous.

The only reason she's getting an extended stay is likely because of Piplup. The Pokemon is still hugely popular in Japan, so they want it in the show for a bit longer. I'd wager to say that had Dawn not have had Piplup, her return would have only been 3-4 episodes.

To Hellion:Benefit behind older character return exists,it only depends if writers have vision to do something with them. Incentive behind this would be in investing more in someone who proved to be succesfull and likable doing more with already established characters. To increase continuity in show, develop them more and provide fresh, exciting and unexpected twist to current formula. This would also help new generations to better understand anime past providing connection to past sagas, like Dawn return in Unova currently does serving as bridge which connects DP with BW and please all group of fans rather than only target audience bringing bigger ratings and more money. And with arrival of new games containing previous companions their use for promotion brings higher benefit because of popularity and iconic status,rather than introducing new ones making it less of risk since they proved in past to be well received being easier to just do continuation rather than going from scratch.

I have to agree with Bluelatios. Dawn return for Unova and extended stay could also be writers way of testing ground to see if combination of older and new characters could work out well producing entertaining dynamic and enjoyment in show for longer period of time. Depending on how well this will be received could set up ground for writers doing same with other older companions eventually.

Its unpredictable surprises which help keep anime fresh and exciting, and we cant deny how if writers decide to do mix of old and new would ultimately make anime attracting to wider group of people. Judging by hype Dawn return created among veterans and teenagers not stopping only on kids, shows how welcomed return of older companions is .Pokemon is still set in same timeline and universe being treated as continuity, so older friends return isn't out of question.

Speaking of Dawn, i wander how many ribbons she collected in Hoenn. For all we know her Hoenn journey could already ended deciding to stop in Unova to improve her skills before she heads toward new regioon where she will continue to do contests. When taking in account how big competition Junior tournament has including Cynthia, Alder, E4 members like Caitlin etc i don't expect that Dawn comes very far but wherever she ends up it will be interesting to find out how much she imprpved in meantime and with what new stratgies she came up in meantime. Additional benefit is that this will serve as experience for her to fund out what are hjer flaws and what is needed to imprve in future training and battles.

What would be really nice to see is having Quilava evolve. Typholsion would bring more muscle and boost to her team fitting well with rest of her pokemon imo.

Last edited:
I wanna know if Dawn mastered the flame wheel-Whirlpool combination.
Really looking forward to see all the interaction and development from her and her Pokes.

Dawn was brought back because many people in Japan like her.

Also, it means more audience, which means for the people who makes the anime, ¥EN, which means more happiness. For everyone.

Also, it means more audience, which means for the people who makes the anime, ¥EN, which means more happiness. For everyone.

And the previous characters weren't brought back for the same reason?

Likewise it's mostly Piplup that's giving her an extended stay.

If it was really a sole Pokemon that gave a human an excuse to appear, then they'd have a serious issue with priorities. There needs to be a good blend of all human-Pokemon, human-human, and Pokemon-Pokemon interactions to really make it a successful move.

Piplup is one of the most popular and marketable Pokemon in Japan. It's why it's gettin so much focus in Dawn's return.

I'm surprised we're seeing her at all. The specials she and Brock got really did feel like the wrap up for her. I think the reason she is returning is purely to boost pure ratings. Maybe they hadn't intended her to reappear but they had to think of something to get the viewing figures up. I find it quite unlikely too. That her character would leave Hoenn and travel all that distance in the middle of her own journey, to participate in some random tournament. I know she's friends with Ash, but surely she would benefit more, staying in Hoenn and training for the GF with Zoe and Co. It seems premature that her character would be that keen to see Ash and have that much time on her hands to ditch Hoenn and essentially take time out to kick it in some crappy Isshu tournament. I think the whole Junior Cup thing is a underwhelming excuse to bring back the likes of Dawn and Cynthia.

Well, Kasumi and Haruka aren't popular anymore in Japan, I believe, unlike Dawn and her Piplup.

Well, Kasumi and Haruka aren't popular anymore in Japan, I believe, unlike Dawn and her Piplup.

Characters don't really lose popularity over there.

If Dawn didn't have Piplup, you could bet her return would have been much shorter.

To be honest I think one big point of Dawn returning, aside from fanservice, is to show that characters don't need to be restricted to doing the same thing to try something new and unexpected, and the writers want to prove that.

So now that we got the summary for next weeks epiosde the known participants are Ash, Iris, Cilan, and Dawn. The "new rival" could potentially be there. Since the prize is to battle Adler...Trip will probably be there too. If he is, I expect him to be the one that wins the tournament, defeating Ash in the finals.

Oh yeah, and Cynthia vs Caitlin is an exhibition match apparently.

Last edited:
A lot of eppys and its very unfair. If it wasn't for that blasted penguin, the cameo would've been only 2-4 eppys. That penguin makes me sick. WHAT DOES JAPAN SEE IN THIS GUY?? A BIG EGO??

Potchama's screen time has nothing to do with the tournament. Let's stick to the topic please.

I am still wondering who Dawn will lose to in this tournament. I don't think she'll battle Ash, the writers almost always have them team up together rather than battle against each other.

I don't see Dawn and Cilan battling again after their first episode,and I can't imagine the backlash if Iris beats Dawn in the tournament. Perhaps Dawn will lose to the new rival?

So since Iris and Cilan are entering, I guess that means no epic 6v6 matches. Best they can do is 3v3.

I kind of want Dawn to get reasonably far. Not as far as ash but atleast better than Iris

I am still wondering who Dawn will lose to in this tournament. I don't think she'll battle Ash, the writers almost always have them team up together rather than battle against each other.

I don't see Dawn and Cilan battling again after their first episode,and I can't imagine the backlash if Iris beats Dawn in the tournament. Perhaps Dawn will lose to the new rival?

I honestly see her loosing to Ash. Cause it would be an amazing fight and fans would love it?
Dawn losing to Iris, would wake up a lot of rage between the fans. And especially if Piplup loosed to Excadrill.
Loosing to Cilan maybe, it wouldn't be a bad choice especially if he looses to her in this upcoming episode.
The new rival? Doubt it could imagine Trip loosing to him.

So since Iris and Cilan are entering, I guess that means no epic 6v6 matches. Best they can do is 3v3.

I kind of want Dawn to get reasonably far. Not as far as ash but atleast better than Iris

She's the guest character so she probably will get far, otherwise she would just be left to stand on the sidelines and would defeat the purpose of actually bringing her back.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom