• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Hisuian Forms and Evolutions Discussion

Enter your answer:

• Total voters
If I'm reading this right, what you mean is that for these normal-to-regional evolutions to occur, it's required that the process of evolution happens(as in the irl meaning) so that the pokemon would basically have like dna of both forms and which one gets "unlocked" through pokemon evolution depends on the region (I am not a scientist this is just the best way I thought of to explain this don't think much about it)
While that does make total sense and is a likely explanation, there is still a chance that it isn't the case, since for example the normal koffing to galarian weezing evo is explained in the shield dex entry as "during a time when droves of factories fouled the air with pollution, Weezing changed into this form for some reason." wether it's a faster version of the irl concept of evolution, making the koffing capable of evolving into either form depending on the air toxins, or that each individual koffing just learns to do that by being exposed to air toxins isn't specified(though the latter is more likely imo especially with marowak and exeggutor, or maybe it's different from species to species who knows lmao)

So if they do give the starters' evolutions their own regional forms, they could easily come up with a logical expalnation that doesn't contradict previouly set lore
From what I understand, it’s something that happens in time even in Koffing’s case. They never stated that the normal
Pokémon evolving in specific forms is something that happens quick, or instantly, and that it’s not based on the overall line evolving in the specific region differently. It’d be very convenient if, up until now, they treated all regional forms and evolution the same, and they’ll now say that normal Pokémon the evolves in regional forms are different then the full lines changing over time.

Even if this would allow them to not break their own lore, it’d still be far fetched, as it makes little sense to do so, and it’d have been done clearly to justify the starters’ regional forms.

But I don’t think they’ll bother with that, even in the case Legends have regional forms for the starters. They’ll simply going to call then Hisuian Typhlosion, etc. without bothering to explain how it works.

I think it's really neat how Wyrdeer, Basculegion and Hisuian Braviary were, it seems, designed to help the player travel over land, water and in the sky respectively. I'm pretty sure that's why the three of them were revealed together.
I agree, though it’s weird they didn’t show the climbing mon with them.

I'm really curious about what the explanation will be for why these Hisuian forms and evolutions didn't exist in the present day Sinnoh. Is it safe to assume that the in-universe justification for their absence is that they simply went extinct?
From what we've seen Hisui is pretty different from Sinnoh, so that explains why there are no Hissuian forms in modern Sinnoh.

From what we've seen Hisui is pretty different from Sinnoh, so that explains why there are no Hissuian forms in modern Sinnoh.
Yes which is why I'm wondering if those Hisuian forms just went extinct sometime before present day Sinnoh. I guess it's possible that they migrated to another region but until that's confirmed it leaves a small plot hole in the lore.

I personally find it rather interesting that there are Pokémon that existed in Hisui that don't exist in Sinnoh,I find it kind of a sad case of realism,since there are animal species that no longer exist and I want to heat more about what led them to no longer exist.

I doubt the new Pokémon shown are the only new ones either. I definitely wouldn't mind a few more to make it interesting. I also hope it's not just regional forms and cross gen evos either. Let's have some totally new ones,build hype and make it exciting!

Couldn't the Hisuian forms/evolutions just be locally extinct in modern-day Sinnoh, instead of fully extinct? There's many species of animals, such as the mountain lion, whose native range has been reduced. So perhaps Hisuian Braviary, for example, was driven extinct as Sinnoh became more industrialized but populations in other regions survived to the present day.

Husuian Growlithe looks rad but I kinda wish it was a brand new Pokemon and not just a regional variant. Can't wait to see what Husuian Arcanine looks like though. :D

Regarding Basculin evolving into Basculegion, there seem to be two camps:
  1. Red stripe evolves into Basculegion, while Blue stripe evolves into something else/a different form of Basculegion
  2. There’s only one Hisuian Basculin that evolves into Basculegion.
Both camps have good arguments, but I propose a third option: what if a singular version of Hisuian Basculin evolves into two different species: one resembling red striped Basculin (aka Basculegion), and another one resembling blue striped Basculin.

Basculegion looks far too similar to regular Red Basculin for me to think regular Basculin has a Regional Form. None of the others are like that.
I actually think Galarian Slowbro looks way more similar to Kantonian Slowpoke than Basculegion looks to Unovan Basculin, just as one example. Point is, regional variants can be relatively subtle (stares at Alolan Diglett).

Regarding Basculin evolving into Basculegion, there seem to be two camps:
  1. Red stripe evolves into Basculegion, while Blue stripe evolves into something else/a different form of Basculegion
  2. There’s only one Hisuian Basculin that evolves into Basculegion.
Both camps have good arguments, but I propose a third option: what if a singular version of Hisuian Basculin evolves into two different species: one resembling red striped Basculin (aka Basculegion), and another one resembling blue striped Basculin.

I'm mostly in camp "both Basculin evolve into Basculegion and the pinkish coloration is a reference to how red and blue light make magenta."

I'd like to be in the "Red Stripe evolves into Basculegion and Blue Stripe evolves into something else" but seeing how Basculegion seems to have been featured as a dedicated pokeride, I can't see Blue Stripe getting the shaft. Unless it were to serve some other function... like diving, I guess? Though they'd be better off giving us something cooler than two different Bascul-evo rides. And it just makes perfect sense to get a magenta fish from the souls of red and blue ones- way more thoughtful than creating a new Basculin for no reason.

I would wish dogshit upon the shoes of many GameFreak employees if it were to turn out that they made a new form of Basculin instead of just redeeming the original forms of Unova's dumb filler fish. Absolutely no one should look at those two pointless forms and think "You know what we need? A third one."

IMG_20210820_102159.png
IMG_20210820_102219.png
IMG_20210820_102232.png
Hisuian Rhyhorn?
1629435693531.png
On the other hand we have regular Rhyhorn on the box art.
Then what is that blue thing?

I'm SO EXCITED! I hope we get a new Eeeveelution, maybe a dragon ancient type?:bulbaLove:

Not getting my hopes up but- yes please! :bulbaLove:

I honestly doubt it, since that one will be even harder to explain than Basculegion, Wyrdeer and the Hisuian forms.

Not if the source of its evolution has disappeared from the region, though. Especially with most of them being stone evos these days, that could've been a very rare stone in the first place and since been depleted by modern times. Would be particularly fitting for a dragon-type.

I honestly doubt it, since that one will be even harder to explain than Basculegion, Wyrdeer and the Hisuian forms.
Nothing hard about it. Easy. It is as simple as Eevee in old Sinnoh region used to have an ancient evolution. The concept of Dragons, mythologies, legends, and folktales has always been a thing in Pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom