• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Hisuian Forms and Evolutions Discussion

Enter your answer:

• Total voters
In future generations, hisuian regional variants could be found as fossils .

Maybe we will be able to find them in BD/SP as fossils. Up until gen VIII, fossils couldnt be found in the wild . In crown tundra, they are found in the wild, but its said that trainers have been releasing revived fossils in the wild. So in the future, we could see hisuian pokemon in the wild. Just say that they were revived fossils introduced by trainers.

That would be a great way to have Hisuian evolutions show up past LA.

In future generations, hisuian regional variants could be found as fossils .

I guess the Pokemon world could be different, but Legends: Arceus isn't set far back enough for those Pokemon to become fossils in the present. I believe that process can take thousands of years.

I don't think they need to go to that much trouble. Just say they migrated or "they just appeared suddenly one day". It wouldn't be the first time something was just handwaved like that.

Yeah, I can’t wait for some of the red-eye Pokémon to be fast. The ones we have seen so far have been more bulky. One that leans into speed would be ROUGH, and a wolf would definitely fit.

Either the rockruff line or even a mightyena variant would be cool and pretty intimidating.

But I'm a sucker for my pokepups so gimme variants for houndour, poochyena, and rockruff anyway. XD My best boy growlithe is already covered- fingers crossed that its evo turns out good.

I guess the Pokemon world could be different, but Legends: Arceus isn't set far back enough for those Pokemon to become fossils in the present. I believe that process can take thousands of years.

I don't think they need to go to that much trouble. Just say they migrated or "they just appeared suddenly one day". It wouldn't be the first time something was just handwaved like that.
I imagine they'll often appear through an Ultra Wormhole or Hoopa Hole or some equivalent.

For the evolutions it is simple. In Sinnoh there is Professor Rowan who can explain the "phenomenon" in the anime.

It will be necessary to understand if these evolutions will be possible in future games normally or if they will be treated as "regional forms" even if they are not.

For example: Will the stantler I have in Heart Gold, if transferred, evolve into Wyrdeer in future games? Or do you need Hisui's Stantler? Although aesthetically it is like the normal one.

Last edited:
I wonder how we'll be able to evolve basculin, like do we throw it into the wilderness it joins a new school it's new close friends perish tragically and it returns to you mourning its loss, evolved and ready to learn new moves .

For the evolutions it is simple. In Sinnoh there is Professor Rowan who can explain the "phenomenon" in the anime.

It will be necessary to understand if these evolutions will be possible in future games normally or if they will be treated as "regional forms" even if they are not.

For example: Will the stantler I have in Heart Gold, if transferred, evolve into Wyrdeer in future games? Or do you need Hisui's Stantler? Although aesthetically it is like the normal one.
If it's a strictly regional evo, I think it might work in the same way it does for Pikachu's Alolan evolution. It would be interesting to see how it really turns out, though.

If it's a strictly regional evo, I think it might work in the same way it does for Pikachu's Alolan evolution. It would be interesting to see how it really turns out, though.
It would be bad. They should modify the obtaining of the regional forms.

I wonder how we'll be able to evolve basculin, like do we throw it into the wilderness it joins a new school it's new close friends perish tragically and it returns to you mourning its loss, evolved and ready to learn new moves .
You must go into the wild and go on a Basculin killing spree. And force your Basculin to do it so it is close enough to take their souls.

Okay, regarding the Hisuian evolution of Basculin and whether or not the original forms evolve into Basculegion or some other Pokémon, I thought of a rather out-there scenario that I think Game Freak could still reasonably explore: what if the Red Stripe and Blue Stripe Basculin were more distinct in the past to the point where Red Stripe Basculin have a Hisuian form? My hypothesis is this: the reason that Basculegion is more closer to red color with its shade of magenta is because that particular evolution is the result of Hisuian Red Stripe Basculin possessing a Blue Stripe Basculin out of jealousy. Please note that this theory is mostly based off of what we already know about both Basculin, especially with their Pokédex entries.

First thing to note is that, when they started giving Pokémon forms separate Pokédex entries starting from Gen 7, they seem to treat Red Striped Basculin as the more aggressive of the two with how they reference its aggressiveness more often. In contrast, while Blue Stripe is still pretty hostile, it has been noted to seem more vulnerable. All Pokédex entries have been put in collapsible spoiler tags to keep the page at a reasonable length.

Ultra Sun Entry said:
Savage, violent Pokémon, red and blue Basculin are always fighting each other over territory.
Ultra Moon Entry said:
When a school of Basculin appears in a lake, everything else disappears, except for Corphish and Crawdaunt. That’s how violent Basculin are.
Sword Entry said:
Anglers love the fight this Pokémon puts up on the hook. And there are always more to catch— many people release them into lakes illicitly.
Shield Entry said:
In the past, it often appeared on the dinner table. The meat of red-striped Basculin is on the fatty side, and it’s more popular with the youth.

Ultra Sun Entry said:
Even Basculin, which devours everything it can with its huge jaws, is nothing more than food to organisms stronger than itself.
Ultra Moon Entry said:
Some people call it “the thug of the lake.” Whether the differences in color are meaningful is not yet known.
Sword Entry said:
Blue-striped Basculin used to be a common food source. They apparently have an inoffensive, light flavor.
Shield Entry said:
Known for their violence, these Pokémon have the most fights with schools of red-striped Basculin.

The next thing to note is how the Red Stripe's eyes seem to be more open in contrast to the slanted eyes of the Blue Stripe. In addition, notice how Red Stripe's fins are spikier compared to Blue Stripe's more smooth fins.

550Basculin.png

With Basculegion, it's eyes resemble the Red Stripe Basculin's eyes, but has eyebrows to better represent the slanted eyes of Blue Stripe Basculin. Also, notice how the fins seem to be mostly smooth, a lot like Blue Stripe Basculin.

pokemon_new_b_1.png

As for why I think it is most likely a regiaonal variant of Red Stripe Basculin possessing the Blue Stripe Basculin over the standard Red Stripe Basculin we are familiar with, it has to do with the fact that Basculegion has mustache-like "facial hair" matching the same magenta coloring as the other ghostly attributes presumably a result of the possession: Huisuian Red Striped Basculin might have some sort of facial hair like feature that the standard version lacks, in which it would make since for the possessed Blue Stripe Basculin to gain that trait from the ones possessing it.

In fact, this line of thinking makes me wonder if the reason for a baseline Stantler to evolve into Wyrdeer isn't something similar; exposure to a regional variant causing a standard sample of a species to evolve into something it otherwise would be incapable of becoming. I mean, Game Freak has done weirder evolutionary methods in recent games (looking at Runerigus and Sirfetch'd over here). What do you guys think?

If Hisuans return as fossils, sounds like they could do that in a BDSP DLC heh.

Also, to avoid the Eviolite conundrum, these Hisuan evolutions could have evolved from the same pokemon, making them branched evolutions.

Mr. Mime is already an example. Mime Jr has a branched evolution except of the same name. We know GF has made evolutions exclusive to regions.

I'm personally hoping for a Rock/Grass Sudowoodo that can evolve again.

The middle one is the player character, not a new Pokemon.

See the scarf, its the male protag.
I disagree. The body proportions don’t match in my opinion. Why black out the player character when it’s just them and the other two panels don’t black them out?

Wyrdeer (reindeer) and Hisuian Braviary (Steller's sea eagle) could show up again in a Russian based region. The Hisuian Growlithe line could be in a Chinese region. It's not that they're completely extinct, it's just that they're extinct in modern day Sinnoh.

As far as Basculegion goes, unless BDSP adds Basulin to the dex, then that would mean Basculin were originally found in the area but aren't any more. Meaning someone around this time introduced them to Unova, Kalos, Alola, and Galar where they just lost their ability to evolve into Basculegion over the years. I mean even that opens it up to some researcher in a future region doing experimentation on the poor bass to see if they can't make them evolve again. Like for example you give some guy named Dr. Tor Ture a Basculin, you get a undead salmon back. Simple.

(Sorry if this is offtopic or beating a dead horse but)

Okay, I’ve been thinking about the regional forms and speculation of regional starter evolutions and I think, even if not Hisuian forms, it’s likely we could see new interpretations of Typhlosion, Samurott, and Decidueye. I know a lot of people have been saying it’s unlikely since they’re from different regions already but that’s the thing! If ancient Sinnoh is this much changed that it even has a different name, what’s to say that isn’t the case for other regions? What if a whole bunch (or all of them really) have species or variants that were once there but disappeared over time? Take for example, Decidueye. From what I understand, it’s based off an extinct species of owl which is where it gets the Ghost typing from. What if we see an ancient Decidueye based off of the actual stilt owl in its prime, complete with a new dual typing to show that off such as Grass-Flying or Grass-Fighting? They don’t even have to be called Hisuian, they could be called regional or ancient forms or a different word related to one of the two.

So, until we see confirmation, I wouldn’t write off the possibility of variants for the starters quite yet.

See the scarf, its the male protag.
But the wavey thing is coming out of the head, not from the neck

Also I don’t know why but I feel like there’ll be a Hisuian Rufflet. I feel like I’ve seen an image somewhere of a Rufflet with similar colors to the Hisuian Braviary but I don’t know if it was a fake or a real image

Last edited:
(Sorry if this is offtopic or beating a dead horse but)

Okay, I’ve been thinking about the regional forms and speculation of regional starter evolutions and I think, even if not Hisuian forms, it’s very likely we’ll see new interpretations of Typhlosion, Samurott, and Decidueye. I know a lot of people have been saying it’s unlikely since they’re from different regions already but that’s the thing! If ancient Sinnoh is this much changed that it even has a different name, what’s to say that isn’t the case for other regions?
It’s simple- those would not be able to be called Hisuian forms then, so I don’t see them doing it. What would they call them? They changed the name of Sinnoh to Hisui probably largely to simplify the naming convention of these variants. I don’t see them choosing to complicate things in that way.

Now if we are talking about Hisuian forms for Torterra, Infernape, and Empoleon… yes please.

Personally I think it's quite possible for the Starter evos to have Hisuian forms, and I think they would use that same term. I'm like 50/50 on whether or not I think this will actually happen, but the whole idea with regional variants is that Pokémon from other regions get brought into the current one and are then affected by its environment or other unique factors, which change how they look or how they evolve. Rowlet, Cyndaquil, and Oshawott were all explicitly brought over from other regions, so...

I know it's kind of standard practice to assume that this change works exactly like Darwinism, incrementally over many generations and a long period of time, but this is ultimately a fantasy series about quasi-magical creatures, so it doesn't have to commit to a totally realistic interpretation. One scientist NPC in the Alola games even compares the process to getting a tan, which isn't an evolutionary thing - anyone can do that. This is the kind of thing that could absolutely fit under the justifying umbrella of "They're mysterious creatures!" After all, the best answer we have for what caused Alolan Raichu to happen is literally "pancakes, and maybe something about the climate idk"

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom