• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

"Holiday Hi-Jynx!" — Banned Once Again?

Meowstic

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Before I start the thread, I would like to thank Dogasu for noticing this making it public on his website. However, while this could easily be discussed quietly in the Dogasu thread, I thought it was needed to make a thread for this so it could be made even more public.

If you didn't know, Viz Media plans to re-re-release the entire first season of Pokémon (Pokémon: Indigo League) on October 28th.

main.png

But if you noticed the box art, you probably saw the "All 78 Episodes!" sticker. And therein lies the problem. There should be more than 78 episodes.

There are technically 82 episodes in the Kanto chapter of the original series, otherwise known as "Pokémon: Indigo League". However, there were a few banned episodes in this chapter that are probably well known among the fan-base:

- "Beauty and the Beach": While this episode was dubbed and edited into English, it was only aired on Kids' WB a few times and was never distributed onto any form of home video release.

- "The Legend of Dratini": This episode was never dubbed into English, probably due to excessive usage of firearms, even this would later create a plot hole as to where Ash caught all thirty of his Tauros.

- "Electric Soldier Porygon": This episode was never dubbed into English due to the seizure-inducing scenes that caused it to be banned by the Japanese government.

It was pretty obvious these episode would never be commercially available in English, but that would still leave 79 episodes. But wait, didn't the box art say 78 episodes? That means one more episode will be absent from this release. Since you probably read the title of this thread, you can probably guess what episode I think will be excluded from this release, "Holiday Hi-Jynx"!

In case you don't know the whole story about this episode, and more importantly Jynx, it's quite a complicated one. Trying to keep the story condensed, the controversy is mainly from Jynx's original design.

124Jynx_OS_anime.png

This original design was viewed as racist and received outrage from many. Most of the outrage came after the airing of "Holiday Hi-Jynx!" and resulted in a lot of changes, including an episode in the Johto chapter of the original series never being dubbed into English and a later edit to Jynx's design, making her skin purple.

124Jynx.png

But even with all these changes, for a long time "Holiday Hi-Jynx" was left alone and pretty much left available in English, from being released onto VHS and DVD numerous times and even broadcast on television as recent as 2011.

It should also be noted that on December 23, 2012, a re-tooled version of "Holiday Hi-Jynx!" was aired in Japan with one major difference. Jynx's skin was changed from black to purple in every scene it appeared. This will be important to come back to later in the discussion.

However, things suddenly changed in 2014. Sometime after April 21, 2014 (I say this date because it was the last archived date saved of the episode page), the episode page for "Holiday Hi-Jynx!" was silently removed from Pokémon's official website. It was also missing from Netflix. This leads to me to one conclusion. TPCi, or another person of authority, decided to quietly remove all existence of the episode.

It would make sense that this episode is the most likely of all the other Kanto chapter episodes to be excluded from this new release, and possibly remove it from all future Pokémon existence, but what puzzles me is why do this now? It's been available for well over a decade, and will still technically be available in the 2008 DVD release of Pokémon: Indigo League (Unless it suddenly goes out-of-print after the new DVD release). If the episode was truly too offensive, it should have been banned a lot earlier than now. Why release it in 2008 but not in 2014? Did the controversy somehow become more obtrusive in the matter of six years?

Another question to this is why the re-tooled footage from 2012 couldn't be used if Jynx's design was truly the problem. Earlier this year, TPCi was able to obtain the remastered footage of Pokémon: The First Movie and air it on Cartoon Network, so it makes me wonder why TPCi couldn't obtain the re-tooled footage for "Holiday Hi-Jynx!". It might be a bit of trouble to get, but it would be better to do this than try to pretend this episode no longer exists.

So what do you think? Do you think this proves this episode is now banned once and for all, or could it make a return? Discuss!

It's so dumb for them to all of a sudden do this... the ep was aired and released countless times in the past few years... way to randomly panic over something that most likely wouldn't have been an issue again nowdays...
I also still think the whole "racist" thing was extremely ridiculous... because clearly, the black coloring in Jynx's original design was NOT black skin (also, as if "black people" are actually BLACK......) but a ghost-like void thing... I'm pretty sure that in Pokémon Stadium, when Jynx fainted, you could literally see its eyes/lips fall off, supporting that the blackness was just a void rather than skin... so the recolored purple version of Jynx pretty much changed the whole idea of the Pokémon and randomly gave it skin when it (most likely) didn't have it in its original design

Meowstic said:
Why release it in 2008 but not in 2014? Did the controversy somehow become more obtrusive in the matter of six years?

Yes.

Because in 2010 Aloe ("Lenora") happened which caused everyone to go into panic mode. And ever since then they've really been going the extra mile to make sure that the old Rougela is de-existed once and for all.

We're just noticing this now because there hasn't been a Kanto DVD re-release since 2008 and nobody keeps track of Boomerang and whether or not the episode's been missing from their schedule.

It's so dumb for them to all of a sudden do this... the ep was aired and released countless times in the past few years... way to randomly panic over something that most likely wouldn't have been an issue again nowdays...
I also still think the whole "racist" thing was extremely ridiculous... because clearly, the black coloring in Jynx's original design was NOT black skin (also, as if "black people" are actually BLACK......) but a ghost-like void thing... I'm pretty sure that in Pokémon Stadium, when Jynx fainted, you could literally see its eyes/lips fall off, supporting that the blackness was just a void rather than skin... so the recolored purple version of Jynx pretty much changed the whole idea of the Pokémon and randomly gave it skin when it (most likely) didn't have it in its original design

It doesn't make a lick of difference what Jynx is supposed to be. Fact is, Jynx does bear an unfortunate resemblance to a blackface entertainer (not an actual black person), which is one of the biggest taboos possible in the US. The resemblance alone is enough to render all intentions irrelevant.

Meowstic said:
Why release it in 2008 but not in 2014? Did the controversy somehow become more obtrusive in the matter of six years?

Yes.

Because in 2010 Aloe ("Lenora") happened which caused everyone to go into panic mode. And ever since then they've really been going the extra mile to make sure that the old Rougela is de-existed once and for all.

We're just noticing this now because there hasn't been a Kanto DVD re-release since 2008 and nobody keeps track of Boomerang and whether or not the episode's been missing from their schedule.
But even after the Lenora incident, the episode page for "Holiday Hi-Jynx!" remained online for another three years and no attempt was made to remove any trace of the episode from further printings of the 2008 DVD, which is still largely available in retailers today.

Why now tho? They let this episode slip through many times and now they just started noticing. Ironic thing is the woman said something about it hasn't said anything about it since. (she most likely never followed the show and prob never knew the episode is still there, hence her silence in all this).

Last edited:
Meowstic said:
But even after the Lenora incident, the episode page for "Holiday Hi-Jynx!" remained online for another three years

Maybe no one thought to remove it until then?

I wasn't aware that these kind of things had expiration dates.

no attempt was made to remove any trace of the episode from further printings of the 2008 DVD, which is still largely available in retailers today.

I was in the U.S. back in August and all the retail stores I went to only carried Black & White DVDs and some of the movies, if that.

Do you or anyone you know have a current print of the old 2008 DVDs? Do current prints even exist? Isn't the whole reason they're re-releasing the Kanto DVDs in the first place is because the older discs are out of print and difficult to find?

I was in the U.S. back in August and all the retail stores I went to only carried Black & White DVDs and some of the movies, if that.

Do you or anyone you know have a current print of the old 2008 DVDs? Do current prints even exist? Isn't the whole reason they're re-releasing the Kanto DVDs in the first place is because the older discs are out of print and difficult to find?
http://hmv.ca/Stores/StoreStock.aspx?SKU=266661

A simple search revealed several HMV locations near my area have the Volume 3 2008 DVD, along with the other two volumes. I can still even order it in from my closest locations if I wanted to. So it's still very well available and in print.

Do you or anyone you know have a current print of the old 2008 DVDs?

It's possible that "Holiday Hi-Jynx" isn't on the DVDs being sold at your local HMV locations.

Do you or anyone you know have a current print of the old 2008 DVDs?

It's possible that "Holiday Hi-Jynx" isn't on the DVDs being sold at your local HMV locations.
My friend got a copy, along with all the 2007/2008 DVDs, from HMV back in June and it had "Holiday Hi-Jynx!", is that recent enough?

Something I was also planning on doing after I bought the 2014 set on the 28th was ordering in the 2008 DVD (Or the old Pioneer DVD from eBay, whatever is cheaper.) so I could have the Jynx episode, so if I do get the 2008 DVD, I'll let you now if it has the episode. But as far as I'm aware, all copies of the 2008 DVD still retain the Jynx episode.

Last edited:
Worth noting that there's a box set of 'Season 1 and 2' coming out in Australia next month, so it would be interesting if that is missing the episode as well, or indeed any of the hundred or so other re-releases they've done over the past few years.

Amusingly the copy I have of the Season 2 release, which has a copyright date of 2010 on the box, uses a purple Jynx on the DVD menu for the disc with the Holiday Hi-Jynx episode.

Given the existence of the re-coloured episode, if it's enough of an issue to pull the episode from the discs and to try and pretend it doesn't exist, then it's enough of an issue to spend the small amount of time to replace the footage of the episode with the edited one.

Actually, it's certain that they will not release some episodes in new Australian boxsets.

If you check "Details" section at Pokemon Season 1 & 2 Gift Set product page, you can see that the running time is only 2244 minutes, which gives us only 102 episodes (one episode = approximately 22 minutes)... Which doesn't make much sense, because there were three episodes featuring Jynx in seasons 1-2.

Unfortunately, there is something that supports the theory of banning episodes with the black Jynx completely.
If you look closely at the cover of the Pokémon: The Heritage Collection, you can see an "All 460 Episodes from Kanto, Johto and Hoenn!" caption. But there are 463 episodes in the dubbed Original Series and Advanced Generation Series (52*8 + 47).

So it looks like that we can add Holiday Hi-Jynx, Stage Fight and The Mandarin Island Miss Match to our "Banned episodes" lists.

Interesting. The Pokemon.com page is indeed also missing those other two Season 2 episodes, also not sure why someone would buy a box set that has only half of the Orange Islands in it - if they were going to drop 3 episodes, they could at least add in the first 10/11 of Season 3 to get you to the start of Johto.

I suppose the cut off of the US DVD with just the Kanto only makes more sense, as well as hiding most of that censorship.

It baffles me that a company would produce such an expensive collectors item and then try to silently drop episodes while still proclaiming its completeness. Anyone who would be in the market for an expensive collectors edition of the anime would know that those episodes exist. It's especially bad to be re-releasing them as 'collectors' items when they are less complete than previously.

Maybe it'd be okay to drop Holiday Hi-Jynx, it focuses heavily on Jynx and has no wider plot impact. But those Orange Islands episodes are right in the middle of things and barely show Jynx at all.

As an aside, here's the DVD menu I was mentioning previously.

Thank Goodness that jynx only appeared in filler episodes. I would have not be able to tolerate a gym leader or a Pokemon league episode being banned.

Well if anyone wants the complete collection Indigo League and Orange Islands episodes, I recommend buying the older printed DVDs while you still can. They all seem to still be in print, but for how long is anybody's guess.

Meowstic said:
Something I was also planning on doing after I bought the 2014 set on the 28th was ordering in the 2008 DVD (Or the old Pioneer DVD from eBay, whatever is cheaper.) so I could have the Jynx episode, so if I do get the 2008 DVD, I'll let you now if it has the episode. But as far as I'm aware, all copies of the 2008 DVD still retain the Jynx episode.

OK.

But, it doesn't really matter either way. If they had started banning the episode in 2010 would anyone's reaction have been any different? Or 2008? The "but why now after all these years!?" reaction would have been the same regardless.

Someone decided that they want to get rid of black Jynx once and for all, and while it might seem strange that they'd wait until 2014 to really start clamping down on this stuff (though there's been stuff happening with Rougela in Japan since 2010, hence my Aloe mention earlier) it's absolutely their prerogative to do so whenever they want.

Meowstic said:

OK.

But, it doesn't really matter either way. If they had started banning the episode in 2010 would anyone's reaction have been any different? Or 2008? The "but why now after all these years!?" reaction would have been the same regardless.

Someone decided that they want to get rid of black Jynx once and for all, and while it might seem strange that they'd wait until 2014 to really start clamping down on this stuff (though there's been stuff happening with Rougela in Japan since 2010, hence my Aloe mention earlier) it's absolutely their prerogative to do so whenever they want.
I assume this could eventually lead to more episodes featuring Jynx being absent from future DVD sets?

The only ones left would be the two from Orange Islands that are already missing from Pokemon.com / Netflix. If Viz ever re-releases their Orange Islands set then you can probably expect those two episodes to be missing from that as well.

The ones from Advanced Battle onwards that feature the character with the purple design will be fine.

The only ones left would be the two from Orange Islands that are already missing from Pokemon.com / Netflix. If Viz ever re-releases their Orange Islands set then you can probably expect those two episodes to be missing from that as well.

The ones from Advanced Battle onwards that feature the character with the purple design will be fine.
Then I better get a copy of the current set!

If Viz ever re-releases their Orange Islands set then you can probably expect those two episodes to be missing from that as well.
And since Viz confirmed on their Facebook page they had plans to release Johto DVDs in 2015, I'm pretty sure we can expect a a re-release of Orange Islands.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom