• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Honest question....how do you choose your starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually choose the Fire-type starter first, with the only exception being Gen 5, when I chose Snivy in my first White playthrough
Gen 6 is a subverted exception, as I got Omega Ruby about a week before I got Y (.___.) and chose Treecko there, but when I got Y (which I am counting for my gen 6 example), I chose Fennekin, obviously due to the anime (I will always play as a girl in Y, too! If only my little fox was a girl...)
Also, the only reason why I chose Treecko instead of Torchic in Omega Ruby is because my step-brother chose Torchic.

I first decided to choose Mudkip because my favorite color was blue, and from then on I've always decided on water types. This also a good way to save myself from "who do I choose???" because I am very indecisive.

I choose the starters based on which one I like the most. Then if I replay the game or something like that, I always try one of the starters that I didn't pick.

I always pick the Fire type, because they're difficult to get in the wild early on, as opposed to others which will get you through the first few Gyms - Grass/Flying/Water/etc. Also, if it doesn't fit in my team, the Starter goes straight in the box as soon as I catch its replacement.

It's a mixture of which one looks the coolest, and how it would fit into my team. Lately, I've been picking Grass-type starters. Probably just a coincidence, though.

I choose them the only way I know how: by Rule of Epic.

Given the options of:

A turtle that can withdraw itself into a shell with pressurized water jets that are capable of punching holes through steel and spraying beams of ice, a fire-breathing dragon that everyone else already likes, and a boring dinosaur-themed Grass-type with a 2-turn charged "final" move? IS THAT EVEN A QUESTION?!

A 7'7" crocodile, another Grass-type dinosaur, and a flaming porcupine? CLEAR AS MUD!

A live, kung-fu fighting fried chicken, a dinosaur that's also... um... Grass-type... again, and a mudfish that gets an immunity to Electric-types in exchange for an accentuated weakness to something you were never going to switch it out against to begin with? ...um-yeah; I'm going to leave it up to you this time.

A giant penguin made of steel that swims as fast as a jet boat and can shred ice, a Grass-type tortoise with a tree on its back, and a high-tier flaming monkey that can crush opponents with both physical and special attacks? THE RULE OF EPIC SHALL GUIDE ME!

Another Fire/Fighting-type that's some witless joke about pork ribs, another Grass-type reptile, and a SWORD-WIELDING SAMURAI OTTER? WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?!

In case you actually care to know:
Blue: Squirtle.
Gold and Silver: Totodile.
Sapphire: Mudkip.
FireRed: Squirtle, then Charmander (in an attempt to imitate the story of Red, teh gr8est train0r evar) after I played through the game and got bored due to the lack of plot post-game and having used AR to get the 'mons I wanted.
Emerald: Torchic for my first playthrough, followed by Treecko when I restarted it (although I didn't get far once I started obsessing over its IVs).
Pearl: Piplup.
Platinum: Chimchar.
HeartGold: Totodile.
SoulSilver: Totodile.
Black: Oshawott (I did reset it to try Tepig to see what the "most likely canon team" for the protagonist would be before resetting it again).
Black 2: Oshawott.

People who choose based on appearances: y'all racist Tepigs.

I've always liked choosing the Fire-types, because in most of the Generations it's a little difficult to catch Fire-types in the earliest parts of the games, whereas the Grass and Water-types seem to be more abundant. The only exception is X, when I chose Froakie. I personally regret it, because the majority of the Trainers and wild 'mons put together have a buttload of Fighting-type Pokémon and/or Fighting-type moves. Well, when I finally got Greninja...

I have thought about playing X all over again with a Fennekin, but I'm waiting to see if we get a 3rd version or sequel(s) before I make that final decision.

Also, Fire just pwns.

I choose my starter based on if it looks cool or not, so I'm a racist Tepig as pointed out above^

Depends on looks.
Did you expect something different from a Team Flare grunt?

I pick my favourite starter of the three to begin with, and games I play after that I tend to pick the starters I didn't choose the first time around.

In 1st gen Bulbasaur so I could easily beat the first two gyms
In 2nd gen Totodile because crocodiles are awesome
In 3rd gen B-Ken Swampert Sceptile and B-Ken last two for ORAS wait those are their final evos.
In 4th gen Chimchar and Piplup because I like them
In 5th gen Tepig and Oshawatt
In 6th gen Froakie and Fennekin

At first, I chose based on the colour (Squirtle of Blue), then I chose based on what my cousin chose (Chikorita). After that, for the next two Generations, I picked based on looks, so that makes it Torchic and Piplup. In the following games, I decided that I will always choose the Grass starter, because I think they are the least appreciated of the three.

Thanks for reading.

I like to have an equal amount of "favorite starters" for each type among the six generations. By that I mean, two Water types that are my favorites of their generations, two Fire types, and two Grass types, to nicely round out an equal amount of two each out of the six generations. Going into X and Y, Grass was the type that had only one favorite, so Chespin was my choice by default to make it even. When the next generation comes around, I guess it'll reset and I can choose based on personal preference this time.

I pick the one with the design I like the most. For X it was Chespin, in SoulSilver it was Totodile, W was Tepig and Oshawott (I had two copies) and W2 was Tepig again. OR was Mudkip altough I am no fan of Swampert. Liked Mega Swampert though.

I just stick to my grass type just because I want to. In R/B I choose it for whatever reason I can't remember and I did it in every following gen. At this point it's just an unexplainable tradition to me.

I pick by design. If I like the line's design best I'll choose it. I don't want to be stuck using something I don't like the look of for the whole 20 hour playthrough. It's usually the Grass or Water starter, rarely do I pick Fire.

For Squirtle and Piplup, I partly chose them cause they had the Water>Rock advantage for the first gym. Kind of shallow now that I think of it, but that was me back in the day, haha.

Though, as with any other starter, including the above, I pick my favorite by design. Water has always been one of my favorite types, and somehow the Water starter always aligns well with my tastes, so 99% of the time I end up picking that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom