• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How can they improve SM?

- evolve ash pokemon to fully evolved ones, he needs Incineroar and Decidueye
- lots of strategic battles between difrent pokemon
- some training episodes for moves
- more effects of moves and abilities
- gyms and league of some sort , he needs a goal to become the master more

Sorry for the glaringly long first post.

Get TF out of the school~ It's maddening how little progress Ash is making because he's literally sitting on his ass the whole time in one location while he has a beautiful island he could be exploring. It took me like 7 episodes until I realized he literally ends at the same point in every episode that he started it: Kukui's house.

LET THE MAN EXPLORE THE REGION!

They should have more battles and fix the pacing

While I agree it would be nice, I wouldn't get my hopes all up; the next gen games is probably going to be on Switch, so I expect it to take a touch more time to develop. Remember how they paced BW, the last DS-gen anime (superfast N-Team Plasma arc followed by chock-full of Dealocore filler)? This could happen again if they go fast, so maybe it's all for the better.

More battles... Agreed 100%. But with the amount of time they potentially have in their hands, it's best that they flesh out all the side-characters enough till November (looking at you Mallow and Sophocles) while doling out little hints from the grand story (like Gladion's intro ep), so that when they actually start getting serious about the story (and one which I hope would include the story arc of US/UM if its any good, we care about every character, and not just Ash and TRio (or maybe Lillie, Kukui and Kiawe to some extent).
The battles can wait, but they better be worth it.

I'd like for people to acknowledge Ash's brilliant moves better (like his use of an attack of Olivia's pokemon to destroy another one's: Though I don't want XY-esque worshiping, I hate how others simply discard it as too risky), and to his struggles being shown on screen, and for a bit longer (Lycanroc learning Continental Crush in background..?).
I'd love to see him serious once in a while.

Plus, with most viewers likely to have played Pokemon Go, why not throw mild references to his Johto and Hoenn pokemon too (guess gen 3 pokemon would be introduced next year in go)?

And finally, why only Ash has to be the butt-end of all physical jokes? Get it this Ash is excitable to the point of being hyperactive, but still...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there still debates that this Ash is not the same Ash from the previous series? And that's why they haven't referenced any of his Pokemon from other regions but Kanto? I only follow in English, but has he referenced any of his other Pokemon?

It's so far the only reason I can accept Ash being as OOC as he is in that he seems to have regressed more than BW Ash, like this is literally his first journey and is just beyond his usual level of stupid~ I get that the series is meant to be more chill and focused on humor, but damn, by the end of this journey, it's gonna feel like Ash has achieved nothing seeing as he's spent half of it in the same spot.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there still debates that this Ash is not the same Ash from the previous series? And that's why they haven't referenced any of his Pokemon from other regions but Kanto? I only follow in English, but has he referenced any of his other Pokemon?

It's so far the only reason I can accept Ash being as OOC as he is in that he seems to have regressed more than BW Ash, like this is literally his first journey and is just beyond his usual level of stupid~ I get that the series is meant to be more chill and focused on humor, but damn, by the end of this journey, it's gonna feel like Ash has achieved nothing seeing as he's spent half of it in the same spot.
In the first ep he mentioned his 30 Tauros...He also seems not beeing surprised by Pokemons of older generations...
It looks he is not Having a hard time against the inslad challenge...Pikachu resisted/evaded an All-out-pummeling...

I wouldn't go that far. While SM Ash is more light-hearted/childish than he was in XY, he doesn't seem like he's regressed significantly as a trainer. In the battles I've seen thus far, he's pretty competent, particularly in his first Grand Trial. He's kind of like what I think they were going for with BW Ash. He's used more for comedy relief and a bit more laid back too, but his skills as a trainer are still pretty good all things considered. Nothing about SM Ash makes me think he's back to his rookie mentality or that he'd do something as stupid as bring only one Pokemon to defeat a Kahuna or something like that.

I don't think spending so much of the series in one spot would make it feel like Ash hasn't achieved anything. While he is spending more time for the Pokemon School than I thought he would at the beginning of the series, he's still catching new Pokemon, we do see him train his Pokemon, although not nearly enough in my opinion, and important events have been happening in between his trials.

The only thing about Ash that does feel out of character to me is his motivation to do the Island Trials. When I first saw the second episode, I thought that the trials would be given more importance to Ash's time in Alola, but they haven't so far. I remember people complaining about how long it took Ash to start his second set of trials, but I was having this problem right from the start. Ash just woke up one morning, realized that he didn't have any Z-Crystals for Z-Moves and wanted to take part in the Island Trial to get one. Maybe it wasn't as bad then because he was trying to capture Pokemon during those early episodes and they were getting used to the new status quo, but I don't think that the Trials were mentioned at all during those episodes. I think it also took them nearly twenty episodes to bring up the next set of Trials when Gladion told Ash how to get the Rock type Z-Crystal. There were still important events going on in between those episodes, so it's not like nothing happened, but at the same time, it feels so off for Ash to not be talking about the Trials. Considering how impatient and eager Ash was always about heading towards the next Gym in each series, Ash taking his time with the Trials is weirdly out of character. Part of it is probably so that they don't rush through the Island Trials due to the size of Alola, as well as possibly waiting to see what elements of US/UM they can incorporate into the show, but it still feels weird.

Other than that, I don't think Ash is that out of character. He's just more laid back, happy go-lucky and used for comedy relief more often than he has before.

I wouldn't go that far. While SM Ash is more light-hearted/childish than he was in XY, he doesn't seem like he's regressed significantly as a trainer. In the battles I've seen thus far, he's pretty competent, particularly in his first Grand Trial. He's kind of like what I think they were going for with BW Ash. He's used more for comedy relief and a bit more laid back too, but his skills as a trainer are still pretty good all things considered. Nothing about SM Ash makes me think he's back to his rookie mentality or that he'd do something as stupid as bring only one Pokemon to defeat a Kahuna or something like that.

I don't think spending so much of the series in one spot would make it feel like Ash hasn't achieved anything. While he is spending more time for the Pokemon School than I thought he would at the beginning of the series, he's still catching new Pokemon, we do see him train his Pokemon, although not nearly enough in my opinion, and important events have been happening in between his trials.

The only thing about Ash that does feel out of character to me is his motivation to do the Island Trials. When I first saw the second episode, I thought that the trials would be given more importance to Ash's time in Alola, but they haven't so far. I remember people complaining about how long it took Ash to start his second set of trials, but I was having this problem right from the start. Ash just woke up one morning, realized that he didn't have any Z-Crystals for Z-Moves and wanted to take part in the Island Trial to get one. Maybe it wasn't as bad then because he was trying to capture Pokemon during those early episodes and they were getting used to the new status quo, but I don't think that the Trials were mentioned at all during those episodes. I think it also took them nearly twenty episodes to bring up the next set of Trials when Gladion told Ash how to get the Rock type Z-Crystal. There were still important events going on in between those episodes, so it's not like nothing happened, but at the same time, it feels so off for Ash to not be talking about the Trials. Considering how impatient and eager Ash was always about heading towards the next Gym in each series, Ash taking his time with the Trials is weirdly out of character. Part of it is probably so that they don't rush through the Island Trials due to the size of Alola, as well as possibly waiting to see what elements of US/UM they can incorporate into the show, but it still feels weird.

Other than that, I don't think Ash is that out of character. He's just more laid back, happy go-lucky and used for comedy relief more often than he has before.

Maybe I misworded~ I don't mean he's regressed and seems less competent battle-wise~ Just his personality in general. He seems to do dumb things I'd only expect to see OS Ash do, like blatantly call out that he lost his Electrium Z or being inept at being able to wash clothes (because I'm almost damn sure we've seen Ash do laundry before). And Pikachu, too, he's usually more competent than Ash is, but he's often just a much as a mess. It honestly throws me off a bit more for Pikachu being comic relief than it does for Ash since we're so used to him being the more serious of the two. And Pikachu's personality is rarely changed even when Ash's is.

And I guess I just feel like it doesn't feel like he's accomplished much is because of how many filler episodes there are so early on. Like the aforementioned one spending an entire day following Rotom lookin for the Electrium Z. Or Ash getting a day off from school. I suppose once the dub catches up, it'll feel like more's getting done, but it just feels so slow to get him to actually making some notable progress.

To me, I don't know what they should do. I consider this story-arch "Ash on vacation," where he's just sitting back and relaxing... Until the moments he must take something serious.

With that, Bid Bad Guzma, the great over the top Skullhead, just might help heat up the series... Yet I fear what the writers might do to him. He could become yet another hilarious character - and even more so than in the games. Or, they may over dramatize him to a point that he looses the charm from the video games.

...Well, that might be a different thread topic altogether to wonder about.

I have no idea honestly. So many of the changes they've made imo have been so harmful that it doesn't seem to me like the show will get much better.

They've already completely screwed up the Island Challenge, rushing through the Trials and Grand Trials in back to back episodes making them seem like a side project more than anything else. They butchered the rules completely taking away any challenge Ash could have had. It also doesn't help that, due to those changes, Ash has had literally no struggles with any of the Totem battles and has easily gone through all of them. I have no problem with Ash winning a lot, but I at least like to see him have some sort of challenge against whatever opponent he is facing.

The school setting. This is the worst thing. Ash being stuck at school with no way to truly explore the islands of his free will is what is seriously killing the show for me. He doesn't really go anywhere unless it's for school and it sucks to see him so limited. And it sucks because Alola is the most unique region the games have ever produced. It would have been great to see Ash actually traveling through the islands as is done in Sun/Moon. The fact that they actually had Ash go to Akala just to do the Trials and then head straight back to Melemele is so annoying. Melemele is the tutorial island. There's really nothing going on with it now that Hala has long been defeated and it sucks that Ash has so many available places she could be exploring on Akala, continuing with the plot, but they just choose to keep him on Melemele. But I think the worst thing about this entire thing is that it barely even feels like Ash is a student at school. They only ever seem to go to class when the plot demands it and there are so many episodes where they have a day off it's not even funny. Then there are those episodes where there in school for maybe 5 minutes of the episode and that's it. If they're going to put Ash in school, then PUT HIM IN SCHOOL! Where are the actual lessons about Z-Moves and Alola forms and things like that? I feel like these are so infrequent when they really shouldn't be. Stop with all of theses days off and 5 minutes school lessons. If they're going to force Ash to stay on Melemele because of this school, then we should be seeing him there a majority of the time.

Lastly, I'd say tone down the slapstick, but since that seems to be this series' main selling point, I doubt that'll happen.

Maybe I misworded~ I don't mean he's regressed and seems less competent battle-wise~ Just his personality in general. He seems to do dumb things I'd only expect to see OS Ash do, like blatantly call out that he lost his Electrium Z or being inept at being able to wash clothes (because I'm almost damn sure we've seen Ash do laundry before). And Pikachu, too, he's usually more competent than Ash is, but he's often just a much as a mess. It honestly throws me off a bit more for Pikachu being comic relief than it does for Ash since we're so used to him being the more serious of the two. And Pikachu's personality is rarely changed even when Ash's is.

That doesn't really seem out of character to me either. Ash has never been the sharpest tool in the shed, especially with non-Pokemon related stuff. Not being able to do basic things like cook and do laundry makes sense given that there were characters like Brock, Cilan and Clemont that took care of that kind of stuff for him. I don't recall Ash doing laundry before. The only chore I remember seeing him do was wash dishes. It's also kind of hard to use that blatantly saying that he lost his Electrium Z moment against him when it was a more comedy driven episode, they were building up to Kiawe finding out about that during the episode and Ash letting his guard down because he hoped that Pikachu and Rotom Dex found it made sense. I can see a bit more about Pikachu's personality change though. They're both pretty similar personality wise to each other, but I can see how Pikachu being used for comedy relief could throw you off like that.

Team Gaara said:
And I guess I just feel like it doesn't feel like he's accomplished much is because of how many filler episodes there are so early on. Like the aforementioned one spending an entire day following Rotom lookin for the Electrium Z. Or Ash getting a day off from school. I suppose once the dub catches up, it'll feel like more's getting done, but it just feels so slow to get him to actually making some notable progress.

I don't think that there have been that many filler episodes in the series. There definitely has been, such as the Rotom Dex episode or Ash and Pikachu going on to an island by themselves, but it's not really any more than what we normally get at the beginning of the series. Based on what I've seen thus far in the dub, there aren't a lot of episodes I'd say were filler.

But He LOST To Team Rocket, It doesn't matter that WHAT advantageous Pokemon those 3 stooges have, Ash Losing to them Whatsoever, is a Disgrace in and of itself, Because He N-E-V-E-R lost to the TRio, Not Even in Black & White, H*ck, He never even LOST to them when he was at his Very Starting point back in Kanto, And If He Loses to the very trio of Losers he always won against since his VERY First Battle against them and had always won against for 20+ Years, than I call bull on the Writers' Behalf, Because He has gotten worse if he CANNOT even beat TEAM ROCKET!!

But He LOST To Team Rocket, It doesn't matter that WHAT advantageous Pokemon those 3 stooges have, Ash Losing to them Whatsoever, is a Disgrace in and of itself, Because He N-E-V-E-R lost to the TRio, Not Even in Black & White, H*ck, He never even LOST to them when he was at his Very Starting point back in Kanto, And If He Loses to the very trio of Losers he always won against since his VERY First Battle against them and had always won against for 20+ Years, than I call bull on the Writers' Behalf, Because He has gotten worse if he CANNOT even beat TEAM ROCKET!!

He didn't lose to Team Rocket though. They were about to win, but Bewear came and took them to its den. That was the joke. They were so close to winning for once only for Bewear to suddenly show up. Besides that, I don't think that showed Ash had regressed as a trainer. Rowlet was already poisoned from Mareanie's attacks and they had already shown how strong Jessie's Mimikyu is. If Rowlet wasn't already defeated, he could have won before Bewear showed up. To me, it just showed that Ash really needed more than two Pokemon on his team more than anything else. Even if he did lose to Team Rocket, I don't think that would overshadow everything else given that he seems at least pretty decent with his skills based on the battles I've seen thus far.

EQUAL FOCUS FOR ALL PROTAGONISTS!
Call me biased, but Mallow has not done much in the series at all, despite the fact that it's been 39 episodes, and all the other protagonists have had more number of focus episodes, and caught at least one another Pokémon, and the one who hasn't, has loads of character development under her belt. Mallow seems to getting the shorter stick in each of these aspects, and that's awful to say the least. The latest SM episode was a nice effort in this regard, but that's it!

Apart from that, less slapstick, and more seriousness, particularly from Ash's side, is always welcome in this series, but that's just not the target for the success of the series, the writers have in their mind, is it?

Here are my ideas

- Have Ash drop out of school
- Make Lillie a mean person who hates everyone but herself
- Make Lusamine a bureaucrat
- Have Serena return to travel with Ash
- Do not have Ash take down Aether, instead the International Police should take them down
- Make Gladion hellbent on taking down Team Skull

Also Ash should give Rowlet to Mallow. Plus I want Ash to tell Lillie she can't travel with him.
I WHOLE-HEARTEDLY AGREE!!! THIS GUY GETS IT!!
YES! Let's say Serena watched a contest, hated it and decided not to try contests. I also don't want Braixen to evolve. She's cuter than Delphox plus Braixen is perfect for Serena. Same goes with Pancham.

Also Ash should give Rowlet to Mallow. Plus I want Ash to tell Lillie she can't travel with him.

YES! Let's say Serena watched a contest, hated it and decided not to try contests. I also don't want Braixen to evolve. She's cuter than Delphox plus Braixen is perfect for Serena. Same goes with Pancham.
Please...Let Satoshi continue with Rowlet...He is my favorite part of SM...
And Serena giving up on her dreams for following Satoshi doesnt seems right...I am a big fan of Serena, but I want her to return as a "Mature Woman", or closer to that than before at least...

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom