• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do you get your team?

I studed at Serebii for ideas and after getting the right eggs with good natures. I level them up to 30 than EV train on an area without battle items on one stat up to 40 and switch to the other stat. It's alot but it's really worth it when it's works.

I used to just grab whatever i liked, but after Ruby i started planing my team's and even more recently focusing on finding the right natures...

Right now im trying to replan my diamond and platinum teams... quite annoying because of some of the personal rules i made for my self... only use pokemon evolution's that are new to that region(like i won't use Glaceon in Diamond or Platinum because Eevee was first in kanto so i concider it a Kanto pokemon and will only use it something like Leaf Green or Fire Red) Then i don't like using pokemon im already using in annother team(only exception is if the pokemon's set up is different)... and i don't use more than 2 pokemon of the same type... lol can you see the annoyment i have with Sinnoh? Oh and not to mention Colosseum and Gale of Darkness... >.< Tho the useing pokemon of that region only rule obviously doesnt apply their.

I usually plan my teams before catching them.
I usually have these types.
1. Grass
2. Fire
3. Water
4. Electric
5. Flying
6. Rock/Ground
I look for pokemon with good natures too except for in Colosseum and XD where you can't tell until you've purified them.

I look for pokemon with good natures too except for in Colosseum and XD where you can't tell until you've purified them.

lol i actually do purify them to find out their nature and if it's not good restart... >.>;

But as i remember now, i also try to have a Fire, Water, Grass and Flying type in my teams.

I look at the Pokémon available and pick 2-5 beforehand, then use those on my in-game team. Depending on how late in the game they are caught and how big my team is going to be in the first place (usually if they can't be obtained before the 6th gym), I may trade eggs over containing the 'mon I need at some point early in the game. Beyond that, I typically don't go for natures or any sort of specific training on my first playthrough.

I just check beforehand what Pokémon can be caught where and decide on a Fire, Water, Electric and Flying type. And whatever else I like for the other 2 spots. Sometimes I catch multiples for an ability but I don't really pay that much attention to it.

In the start of SS, I just caught whatever. After changing Pokes out a couple of times and growing bored, I decided to scrap everything and start a whole new team, taking natures into consideration.

If a wild pokemon is giving my team trouble, then I assume that is a useful pokemon to capture, regardless of what I actually know about the pokemon.

That accounts for the random "common" pokemon I own...

Outside of that I usually get the pokemon that are extremely rare... On my Sapphire version my main team had Milotic, Armaldo, Glalie, and Chimecho because it gives me a feeling of accomplishment

I usually get a Fire type, water type, grass type, plus the early bird and just pick the other two types I think I would like to have.

Depending on the game, I usually think about what kind of pokemon I want on my team and just capture those to use throughout the game. Usually, I don't capture the first ones I see, and typically have a water-type and a flying-type.

I've just been catching every Pokemon I see, then using the highest level pokemon that have type advantages for whatever situation I'm in. I always have a full team of six.

I plan a lot. I search for stats and movepool. I prefer Pokémon able to learn moves of multiple types.

And most of my Pokémon are from in-game events, like Fossils, given by NPC, eggs, etc (If they're cool, of course. I'm not taking Castform with me). I'm rather lazy to search Pokémon. I save before getting them and I reset until I get the expected nature. When I catch Pokémon as usual and is a rare one, I don't care about nature.

I choose a fire pokemon as my starter, then capture a grass and water. Those become my main battling pokemon. I also catch three more random pokemon to use as cannon fodder.

I used to just randomly catch stuff and train them up however I felt like at the moment, but eventually I started getting more stategic and planning out my entire team ahead of time.

Well I use three teams, each determined by different factors

Team 1 - My favorites
Team 2 - The most creative and under appreciated ( Delibird, Unown, Smeargle, etc...)
Team 3 - A mono team consisting of my favorites in one type

I do not try to overpower games, I do not try to overlevel or go with overkill Pokemon. I use my favorites.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom