• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do you play in-game

DrTrunk

Reaction score
Do you play using only your favorites, and disregarding potential type-match-ups, or competitively? Keep in mind, this is strictly for in-game. Thanks for your opinions!

Haha! I've got so many RNGs now that I usually just trade something strong over after the first gym and just bulldoze through everything. I'm having a ton of fun RNG-Nuzlocking this time though. I'm tossing mons that faint. But instead of just randomly catching the first mon I encounter in each area I RNG them for IVs, though I leave the PID (species, gender, nature, ability, shinyness, etc) alone. That way when I'm done with this playthough I'll still have a few usable RNGs (along with a bunch of lol mons like Modest Herdier, etc).

I use only my favorites, of course.

I like using Dark, Ghost, Psychic, Steel and Bug types.
And the starter is almost always the Grass one.

I don't care much if they are strong or weak, in-game it does not matter much.

My favorites, always. My theory is, if you play with what you like, you will enjoy it more. I don't want to make this into a job, after all.

I like to set myself challenges, like I'll think out a team and catch nothing but those six predecided pokemon. I'm not fussed about natures, IVs etc, I just play through with those I catch. Exception; Charmander is my favourite starter pokemon, so I usually start out with the fire type of whatever game I'm playing then trade for a timid charmander that knows dragon pulse and flamethrower

In-game, I just use whatever Pokémon I feel like. Natures don't really matter to me (unless they lower that Pokémon's best stat). As for typings, I always make sure to have at least 2 out of Fire, Water and Grass. I used to have one of each, but since DP and its lack of Fire-types, I've learned how to compensate for having one missing.

However, I do like to keep a type balance. For example, in my current playthrough of Black I'm using Serperior, Darmanitan, Excadrill and Vanillish. I was thinking of raising a Pawniard, but I realised that my fighting weakness would be too great.

The only thing I will always have is one fire and one water or grass type. I generally won't have more than one of the same type with me when preparing for bigger storyline battles, at least. Then I just use what I like but still try to cover a variety within that. Other than that I'll just catch what I like and see how it goes. I account for type balance more in the Pokémon's movesets than in the Pokémon's types and thus species themselves; I dislike making myself sad dismissing Pokémon I appreciate and would like to use just because of their immediate skills/typing. Of course, I do look at abilities and natures, but I won't dismiss it so long as it's neutral or better for the Pokémon's potential on my team. I don't EV train until I'm bored or going for the big guys and know for sure I want that 'mon on my team for a long time. I definitely don't look at IVs, though, and I have little interest in competitive battling. I just like to keep an open team and try things out before investing as much as possible into my favourites' potential.

I tend to plan my team before I play and catch some favorites with a variety of types, in this current playthrough of Black I'm catching everything and training it all as well, going to take quite a while to beat the game but I'll have a very large selection of Pokemon to use.

I use my favorites, but still keep type match-ups in mind and have a balanced team.

I use my favorite team combination, which is one of two things depending on how I play it:

Combination 1: This is for my 'main' playthrough of a Gen (Which is the following games: Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Firered, Platinum, SoulSilver, Black, and soon to be Black 2) : All three starters, a ghost, a bird, and an HM slave

Combination 2: This is for my recreational playthrough of the games (the games not mentioned above) : The water starter, an electric, a bird, a fire type, a grass, and an HM slave

I enjoy using all the pokemon with those types, since I don't care what pokemon it is, I ONLY look at their type. I try then to only do the story, and leave the side-quests and exploration for after I finish.

I usually Try to go through in Game with the Six Pokemon I meet first that look good for beating the game

I play competitively, as well as for fun in the games, so I work out teams of Pokemon that I favour and match up in type/stat balance.

i am using most of the pokemon i love (most of them under/rarely/never used tier) plus Gliscor, i dont like him that much but i had no one with high defence and hes very fun to play

I usually try to have a lot of coverage, thats how I usually play

For example my team in White was
Samurott
Zebstrika
Unfezant
Scrafty
Krookodile
Haxorus

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom