• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How resistant/ durable are DS and 3DS cartridges?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss1708

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
I always try to buy my DS and 3DS games brand new, to make sure they are in perfect condition. Cause if I buy a game in "used" condition, I can´t be sure if the previous owner of the game has treated it right, or has scratched it, dropped liquid over it, or has harmed the cartridge by accident in some other way, etc.

But recently, I took the risk and bought a "used" Pokemon Black 2 cartridge on Amazon (the price was good so I took the risk of buying it "used"). It has some small scratches and bruises here and there, the sticker on the cartridge has come slightly off around the lower left corner of the cartridge, etc, which are all signs of a used game. Otherwise, the game cartridge seems to be in relatively good condition. But I just keep doubting and asking myself what if the game has some issues I am not aware of that could potentially make it stop working over time... Say, in a few years, for example.

So, my question is, do DS/3DS games inevitably stop working over time due to usage/misuse? Or are they made resistant enough to always keep working perfectly, as long as the owner is careful enough? I just want to know if the used Black 2 cartridge I bought will keep working fine indefinitely, like a brand new game, as long as I am careful enough with it from now on.
Because if not, I would want to buy a second copy of Black 2, to have a backup if the other copy stops working in the future (and since the Gen V games might stop being sold on reasonable prices in a few years, I would have to buy it soon, that´s the reason I am asking now, when the prices on Amazon and Ebay are still relatively low).

Of course, this is also a general question for all DS and 3DS games... Are they durable enough to not stop working over time?

Thanks, and sorry for the "stupid" question. That just shows you haw insecure I am when buying a previously used DS game xD

Last edited:
I think you should be fine without splitting hairs about it. Also... flash carts and emulators will always exist if you're really worried about years into the future.

I think you should be fine without splitting hairs about it.
By "fine", you mean the Black 2 cartridge in question should keep working perfectly indefinitely?

Also what about the internal battery life? Or is this something not affecting DS Pokemon games?
Also... flash carts and emulators will always exist if you're really worried about years into the future.
I know, that´s certainly an other option, but I would prefer to use the actual real game, if possible...

Wow.. this comes to show you how much I love the Pokemon franchise... I would never be concerned about whether I would be able to keep playing a DS game in 10- 15 years. I only have such worries for my favourite Pokemon games...

Last edited:
By "fine", you mean the Black 2 cartridge in question should keep working perfectly indefinitely?
Indefinitely might be stretching it... Do you really care about 20 years from now?

You're basically asking if a game bought in 2012 should still be working by, say, 2032, aren't you? Because there is no difference between your used game and anyone else's, really. The sticker and scratches aren't important.

Also what about the internal battery life? Or is this something not affecting DS Pokemon games?
Definitely not.

I haven't had a DS game just stop working yet, and some of my carts are pretty old (Gen IV, Mario Kart DS etc).

So I feel like they've been made pretty well. I have no doubt if you treat the carts well (even the used one... because that seems like some very minor cosmetic damage at most), they'll continue to work for years to come :)

(also to give you an idea about nintendo's longevity, my SNES, N64 and all the games that I got with both continue to work to this day. Sure I treated them better than most kids at the time (the one thing as a kid I treated with any kind of care), but if those have lasted 20 years, no reason a DS cart cant either)

Indefinitely might be stretching it... Do you really care about 20 years from now?
Hypothetically I do care. Even if it is just a hypothetical concern, I am curious to know if my favourite DS Pokemon game will work correctly indefinitely.

To phrase the question better: would there be a reason for my Black 2 cartridge to not play correctly after 20 years, if it stays unharmed?

I haven't had a DS game just stop working yet, and some of my carts are pretty old (Gen IV, Mario Kart DS etc).

So I feel like they've been made pretty well. I have no doubt if you treat the carts well (even the used one... because that seems like some very minor cosmetic damage at most), they'll continue to work for years to come :)

(also to give you an idea about nintendo's longevity, my SNES, N64 and all the games that I got with both continue to work to this day. Sure I treated them better than most kids at the time (the one thing as a kid I treated with any kind of care), but if those have lasted 20 years, no reason a DS cart cant either)
I agree and hope this is true with DS games as well. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My GB/C/A cartridges all still work. The only problem is with GSC and RSE's internal batteries, which can be replaced.

Of course, I only care about superior fan hacks these days.

not to mention that ds games don't have batteries like the gen 2/3 games do.
and nintendo's hardware is a memetic badass for a reason. I once heard a true story of a game boy found in a bombed out building in afgahanistan, and it still worked despite being bombed on in a war torn country.
even the NES only ever has the graphic chip break, and that's easily replaceable at that as people make repros out there.
so I'd not fret over it, I buy used games dating back to the atari 2600. the only consoles that aren't that durable games wise are cd based like the PS1 or the dreamcast btw as dvd ones can withstand a LOT of scratches and still work, and it's so tough to scratch a ps3/4 disc, that you'd ruin it instantly, but it's easier to smudge than to scratch so that's saying something

Last edited:
not to mention that ds games don't have batteries like the gen 2/3 games do.
and nintendo's hardware is a memetic badass for a reason. I once heard a true story of a game boy found in a bombed out building in afgahanistan, and it still worked despite being bombed on in a war torn country.
even the NES only ever has the graphic chip break, and that's easily replaceable at that as people make repros out there.
so I'd not fret over it, I buy used games dating back to the atari 2600. the only consoles that aren't that durable games wise are cd based like the PS1 or the dreamcast btw as dvd ones can withstand a LOT of scratches and still work, and it's so tough to scratch a ps3/4 disc, that you'd ruin it instantly, but it's easier to smudge than to scratch so that's saying something
I´ve heard about the war Game Boy as well. Quite impressive, really. They say it still works today o_O

So returning to my original question, would you then say my DS Pokemon games should continue to work indefinitely, if I am careful when using them? I mean, if that famous GB console is still functional, a DS cartridge in good condition should last even longer, since it is smaller and less likely to get harmed. Don´t you agree? That´s what my logic says, at least.

Last edited:
So returning to my original question, would you then say my DS Pokemon games should continue to work indefinitely, if I am careful when using them? I mean, if that famous GB console is still functional, a DS cartridge in good condition should last even longer, since it is smaller and less likely to get harmed. Don´t you agree? That´s what my logic says, at least.
If by "indefinitely" you mean "long after I live", then... no? But they will last a very long time.

If by "indefinitely" you mean "long after I live", then... no? But they will last a very long time.
I meant indefinitely "in theory". Like those classic cars from more than half a century ago, that are still working like new. I am also not necessarily asking you about my DS Pokemon games, just in general.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom