• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How the anime supposed to be in your opinion?

CrystaI

The Pokemon Observer
Reaction score
The Pokemon anime fandom had many opinions about the anime of what and how it should had turn out, what kind of storywriting is the best for the franchise, what kind of plot it should went through, what kind of character should be put in, and/or may be kind of ending it should receive.

So, provided that you are the head scenario writer for the Pokemon anime, and is completely free from the stress of changing scenario due to decisions from the director board and/or marketing strategy reason, how you would had write the anime? What kind of anime would you like the Pokemon to be?

Please note that there is no right or wrong answer for this thread. It is completely opinion. So please don't attack on the others if one doesn't like the reply of the others or that because others saying illy about the current anime.
(Though IMO the currently anime does deserve to be criticize......)

For me personally, I would had ended Ash journey immediately after the Orange Island saga. Starting a new series with new protagonist based on the male game player for every saga. But, it is not the standard 1-year or half-year anime that will merely last for 52 or 26 episodes. I'll still trying to elongate each series up to 2~3 years with episode amount of 100~150. But nothing longer than that.

Since the anime was regarded as the promotion for the game, I'll rather adapt more from the game story. Especially the story with the villainous team. For the OS+OI (excluding Johto) Ash story, it was actually 0% equivalent to RGB story (well, TR does existed, so it is not completely 0% equivalent. But still, Ash didn't involve much in TR's plan, not for plans other than the ones where TRio are not involved).
As the series continues to progress, each single saga will be more equivalent to the in-game story. Probably up to the point of BW or B2W2, I would prefer the anime like the B2W2 promotion anime, which is basically true anime adaption of the game, but not loose adaption of game where many rewriting is needed.

Then, because in my headcanon, the Pokemon world is a fantasy adventure world filled with cute wild monsters that are associable but yet powerful enough to alter the natural balance, so I'm not going want to write the slice-of-life story plot nor any sort of slapsticks. It may become a comedic adventure story with laughs in the conversations, but definitely not slapstick adventure with practical exaggerated physical goofy jokes. Though, using sometimes is a good for a mood change. But such thing should not be overused.

And because it is an adventurous story, IMO it needs to contain a bit of "danger". Whether it is facing a dangerous Pokemon, or facing the regional villainous team, or even just getting lost in the wild. The protagonist should truly understand that he/she is in a severe critical situation, and should not deal with such issues with a smile and without considerations.

It does not need to become a standard Shonen anime, but at least I would like the anime to become an anime that can be enjoyed by all the age group, for preteens, for teens, and also for adults. But, just not for the preschool kindergarteners. There is a huuuuuuuuuge difference between shows appropriate for preschoolers and children already attending schools.

I've already stated my opinion on this subject multiple times. I'd let Ash actually grow older (and other characters as well) and I wouldn't have him always collecting badges. Instead, he'd become the mentor to another badge-collecting trainer.

For me, the premise is simple. Just have antagonists that are an actual threat. Pokemon as it is is too "safe". Like a lot of things geared to kids, it makes them all knowing and the adults stupid. Anyone with common sense could rule this world unquestioned. I would not do this. That's probably why it's not a good idea for me to do this, since I would change Pokemon into something that it's not.

I would focus on the difficulties of being a trainer and that not everyone can do it, certainly not a kid. I would moreover stress that there is more to life than trying to be the best at some sport. I would seek to make the relationship between human and pokemon more even. (basically ignore the game, save perhaps for type alignments) This would possibly mean a really short lived story arc per gen. I do not faff about. Hopefully all of them would be different, but I imagine I would run out of ideas quickly. I do not like trainer stories, they all seem so petty to me. Would everything just involve pokemon then? In the same situation, I might feel the need to represent the game somewhat at first, but that would be it. Once you've seen one story, you've seen them all. I would only do it once if at all. That's why I said what I said at the beginning. I would need other reasons for people to use pokemon. I'm sorry, but I can't have it all just be for some trophy. In the end, it means nothing. Having good villains to fight seems the best way to do that. Truthfully, I see no difference between humans and pokemon, so it could go either way on what I focus on.

Of course, I am aware that all of what I say is moot and what I desire is not a show, but just a story. A show has to lengthen itself a bit with filler if it's to last a while. What I describe is a mini-series at best. A definite beginning, middle, and end. A show has to be undefined. It has to be open. I cannot do that.

Ideally, there would be different main characters per series, with past main characters reappearing in important arcs of the newer series, similar to Pokémon Special/Adventures. They would get older with time, and have some proper character development.

If I was the long-term director/producer/writer of the anime, this is what I would have done:

General changes:
One of the biggest differences at the beginning would be that Team Rocket wouldn't be the Doofenshmirtz-style villains that appear in every episode and get beaten to a pulp all the time. They'd carry the same personality, but they would only appear in episodes that truly required their presence (the Viridian Gym Battle is the first episode that comes to my mind). All other episodes that required their presence as antagonists would see a different "Villain-of-the-day", and maybe a couple of these would become recurring villains too, but would appear even less often. And there is a number of episodes that didn't needed TR's appearance at all, so there wouldn't be any VotD either. The episode's main problem would now be different.
All the male player characters from the games would appear and be involved at some point, with varying degrees of importance.
Also all characters would grow up, albeit slowly (around one year or so per region), and there would be more focus on character traits and development. Currently, Pokémon are more important than the characters in the anime. In my version of the anime, Characters and Pokémon would be equally important.
Characters wouldn't be oblivious to love. Effectively, a Gulpin would use Gastro Acid on Ash suppressing his Oblivious ability, and he'd feel attraction towards the opposite gender as much as anyone (this doesn't mean that he'd go Brock whenever he saw a pretty girl, but rather he'd be able to notice when a girl is pretty, like with Giselle). There would be some 'romantic misunderstandings' between Ash and his female companions, but it would be mainly for comedic purposes. There would be more serious romantic moments though, like when a character saves another, but they wouldn't be very frequent since the half of the anime focus would still be Pokémon battles. Also some shippings would go canon, but most of them will be one-sided.
Finally and most importantly, Ash Ketchum won't be the only main character, and he'd be replaced eventually, although he'd become a recurring character... Wanna know how and why? Keep reading and you'll know...

Story wise, Indigo League would have stayed pretty much the same. There isn't much to change here, since it was the first series and some Early-Installment Weirdness is understood. The anime was at the time catering to the Kids-to-Adults demographic, so the show could be enjoyed by everyone. I would have toned down a little the infamous "Beauty and the Beach" episode, but I don't know what to say about the even more infamous "Electric Solider Porygon". The Orange Islands would still happen, but Tracey wouldn't have replaced Brock. He'd still appear as a recurring character just like Todd Snap.
All the characters would have grown up one year by the beginning of Johto, a region that would need a strong subplot. Misty and/or Brock would need to find something else to do other than following Ash. Some filler would still be needed, of course, but it would be considerably less. To the joy of PokéShippers, Misty's crush on Ash would be canon on her side at least. She would still not tell him though.

AG:
By this point, Ash would be 13yo and Brock would be 16 or 17yo. May would be 12 instead of 10. May would take a role equal in importance to that of Ash, similar to what happened with Dawn in DP. The focus of the story would be the adventure of Ash and May, instead of just Ash. Max wouldn't join Ash's team (yay!) He would be a recurring character only. Brock's role would be expanded a little more, and now he'll train a little more with his Pokémon. He was a breeder after all, he must want his Pokémon to grow better and stronger. Team Magma and Aqua would have some more recurring presence in the anime. They would appear in the same places as they do in the games, and a mini-arc involving their final demise would be important. That mini-arc would have begun at the point between Lilycove and Mosdeep (where Aqua's HQ are located), and would have ended with Rayquaza controlling Groudon and Kyogre in Sootopolis.
Ash would reach the final of the Ever Grande Conference, but he'd still lose, albeit in a very close battle where only one Pokémon remained in the opponent's party. And that final would be against Brendan! There would still be a Battle Frontier, and throughout the arc, Ash would discover how to employ proper strategy to win battles, and would learn more about type-weaknesses, status attacks, etc.
And to the great joy of ContestShippers, May x Drew would happen, and they would go to Johto together.

DP:
At the beginning of Sinnoh, Ash would be 15 and Brock would be 18. Dawn would be 14 instead of 10. Dawn's role in the anime would stay the same. Her role was already important in the actual DP, so it wouldn't change too much in my version. In any case it could be even a bit larger. Brock's role would need to be greater than just being a supporter comic relief character. He must do something, like studying Pokémon biology or so. Let's remember that in DP he decided to become a doctor rather than a breeder. Team Galactic's presence will be as strong as Magma and Aqua's, and a good chunk of Sinnoh's filler will be replaced by episodes focusing on Team Galactic's destruction. Cue final battle at Spear Pillar and a second trip to the Distortion World in the anime. And something very nice: Ash would catch a legendary Pokémon, although it'd most possibly be one of the Lake trio rather than Dialga or Palkia. The Wallace Cup mini-arc would carry a good chunk of importance in Dawn's plot, and I could see May joining the group for a short period before going to a region far away: Unova, where there are no contests; instead there are Pokémon Musicals, which would be greatly enhanced from their game counterparts. Dawn becomes interested in going there...
And to the enormous joy of all Pokémon fans, yes, Ash Ketchum would finally WIN the league, defeating Tobias in an intense two-part episode with a special opening sequence, and would become the great Champion of Sinnoh, concluding his participation in the anime as the main character... but his journey is still far from over and we'd see him as a recurring character

BW:
Hilbert would be introduced as the new main character of the series. He'd be 16 years old, but he wouldn't have been able to go on his journey earlier for X reason, and as such, he'd be pretty much a noob on Pokémon at the beginning. He would even try to catch a Pokémon without weakening it first! Mimicking Ash, he wouldn't get the usual starter Pokémon, but instead he'd receive a Pikachu, which is highly uncommon in Unova (I'd keep using a Pikachu since it's the franchise's mascot, so I'm pretty sure I'd still have to use it in the anime). His Pikachu would be a female BTW. Hilbert would meet Dawn (now a 15yo), who arrived to participate in Musicals, and they'd travel together. This time, TR would follow Dawn to Unova for Y reason (perhaps Giovanni forbid them to stay in Sinnoh), and they become interested in Hilbert's Pikachu, which is equally or even stronger than Ash's. May, also now in Unova, would become a friendly rival to Dawn. Cheren would be Hilbert's rival, and his personality would be a combination of Gary's badassery and Paul's negativity. Cilan would still stick to them and be the new Brock as in the actual anime. He'd get a new outfit though. Something apt for exploring the world rather than for serving a bowl of soup. Again, Team Plasma would occupy an important part of the plot, with their respective mini-arcs gaining an increased relevance. Ash will appear during one of them, and he might even become a friendly rival to Hilbert. Iris... well, she could get a small mini-arc near the end about Dragon-type Pokémon, but that'd be it. By the end of the series, Hilbert would have improved quite a lot, and he would reach the Top 8 of the Vertress Conference, losing against Nate, who'd become the Champion. After that, he'd travel to Kalos...

XY:
Hilbert, now 17, is ready to use the skills he learned in his homeland to face the Kalos League. Dawn wouldn't follow him now; she would travel to Hoenn and participate in Contests again. Cilan returned to his gym too. From the very beginning, Hilbert would take notice of the presence of Team Flare when visiting the Lysandre Café in Lumiose City. There he'd meet Citron, a competent, yet somewhat wacky inventor, who happens to be the city's gym leader (in my version of the anime, his inventions wouldn't blow up and the time, and he'd focus on streightening his Electric-type party), who would tag with him. In Lumiose, he'd meet 16yo Serena, who is also interested in battling gym leaders and becoming a Champion. Realizing that they both have the same goal, they travel together, but at the same time they build-up a friendly rivalry because of that same reason: both of them want to be Champions... To Be Continued :p

So yeah, a lot of things would have been VERY different if I was in charge...

Last edited:
This is how pokemon anime should have been like and would be if i was doing construction for it:

It would have more meaningful plot and storyline where protagonists grow forward instead of being resetted. There would be put more emphasis on emotional development of character, his backstory and goal which wouldn't be serving as plot gimmick to push things forward being completely succumbed to marketing. But treated as its own independent plot with characters like Ash utilizing knowledge attained from before applying it to different situations, go through deeper more profound development and advance his dreams. Which involve nor only winning league but revealing other steps required to overcome on his road of becoming master.

Traveling companions wouldn't be replaced after every few years unfinished and well forgotten about investing more into story created about someone, his/her characterization and background doing follow up. By having them evolve and grow as persons, explore on untold fears, interests and affinities maturing, building on chemistry with others and developing new traits, skills and outlooks on life working toward their dreams by making more notable steps. Giving unique and unforgettable experience to their fans.

Similar how other anime like One Piece,Naruto, Bakugan, SAO etc,etc do not replacing their main cast so quickly or at all with writers gradually improving them opening new subplots when one part of story is over making them connected between themselves forming one large picture(bigger quest they need to accomplish) keeping viewers interested still going strong. In sense of keeping series filled with continuity and throwbacks to past with each companion(Misty, Cilan, May, Brock, Dawn etc. you name it) playing vital role in it and main star storyline being kept relevant through show whole run . Instead of just playing role of marketing gimmick which exists in cast only to fill up time before new gen starts.

In other words anime would be more treated like its own separate media with bigger attention put on storyline and quality development, rather than solely marketing. Delivering balanced medium between this two aspects.

More complex questions would be brought up digging deeper in how pokemon as creatures feeel about being caught and battling. There would be perhaps expansion on what N debut pulled with itself touching subject of whether its wrong or acceptable to catch this creatures, separating them from their species and using as means to achieve your aims. I imagine some sort of rebellion might have been possibility of occuring in pokermon world too leading to conflict between humans and pokemon.

Romance, now dont get me wrong. Not saying it would but it might be one of things added into show to add extra flavor to dynamic between characters, while serving as way to better exploit someone feelings and inner thoughts through which characters could grow emotionally through such sort of relationship. But in limted doses not going overboard with it or taking away from main plot and what anime would be truly about.

Since im not myself too much interested in this, but im aware large number of audience appreciate this so i would probably add some of those elements in storyline.

All in all it would contain better and more concrete development , potential not ending wasted with characters not being treated as one trick pony but relevant components of anime with their story being tied into main one remaining relevant accompanied with more continuity, stability and better on going story which builds on what was established before.

With pokemon show meeting requirements to be appealing not just for preschool children, but more older kids, teens, adults etc. Treating pokemon as family oriented anime like it was somewhat case in OS under charge of Takeshi Shudo wantng to have anime more of its own touch and individuality as far as main cast, storyline and continuity goes.

Improving quality of pokemon series in my opinion.

Last edited:
Would it be too hard for them to be a little more consistent with Ash's IQ? I prefer for it to be a consistent 65 than for him to go up to 90 then crash to 50, slowly build it up only for it to halve again in the span of 2-3 episodes.

Would it be too hard for them to be a little more consistent with Ash's IQ? I prefer for it to be a consistent 65 than for him to go up to 90 then crash to 50, slowly build it up only for it to halve again in the span of 2-3 episodes.

Wow. If Ash's IQ is indeed 65, he is truly an idiot (by psychological definition).

Then in that case the feeble-mindedness of the entire anime is making sense......

For me just a few minor things:
1. The characters age, even a little; at least then we'd know there's some progression instead of a restart.
2. More use of Ash's older Pokemon and evolving some of them. Some interactions between his old ones and new ones would be nice.
3. More dark themes. Not overly so, but something like the Espurr episode is a nice example. Maybe an arc where Ash and Pikachu are separated (and I mean really separated, not like those episodes where 15 minutes later they reunite), as in complete opposite sides of the region and Ash has to actually pay attention to his non-Pikachu Pokemon while also searching for his partner, while Pikachu befriends other Pokemon who help him reunite with Ash.

Last edited:
-The characters age one year per region.
-Gary is Ash's permanent rival that follows him everywhere. He also has a signature Pokemon, proably Growlithe, due to many similarities with Pikachu. He wouldn't have evolved...until the Unova league, when it's revelated that he evolved it prior to its battle with Ash. That being said, they encounter in the battle for Top 8 in Hoenn and in the battle for Top 4 in Unova.
-Keep the fillers BW-style, minimizing team Rocket appareances. Also, let them accomplish something every region.
-Let the Expand the evil teams as much as possible, with things like showing the admins or the leader showing their true motivations and even let them participate in importants events. Some times they appear even more than Team Rocket.
-ALL companions reach their goals when they leave. This includes Max, who chooses his first Pokemon at the end of AG and becomes one of Ash's rivals in Kalos, and Brock, who gets a girlfriend and follows her into the university.
-Also, every series has more things that makes it watchable and interesting, for example, one of Ash's travelling companions eventualy joining the evil team, or Ash finding out that his long lost uncle lives in that region, only to find out that he is a top trainer there. I was hoping they would do this with Serena meeting Ash in the past, but nope...

Last edited:
The anime has a bad case of myth decay, in that Ash has a goal but that goal isn't the main focus of the show, and that the show will just prolong itself however it can until such a time that they decide to end it and pigeon-hole in some rubbish ending. Without any sort of end in sight, it makes it very difficult to develop characters and plots. How strong or mature should Ash be? How many companions should he have? How many villains should there be? Things like that can't be determined unless you know how and when you're going to end your story.

As I see it, then, Pokemon should have taken the Digimon route by having separate series' that all use the same mythology. They'd all have the same concept, but would have different characters, story-lines, themes and tones. Most importantly of all, they'd have endings, and they'd be able to actually do things with characters instead of having to keep them as they are.

I would certainly prefer to see it move back onto the track Series Organizer Tomioka Atsuhiro began developing in Pocket Monster Diamond & Pearl. Returning to training, researching gym leaders before hand, and the development of strategies and new original techniques like the Counter Shield would be very exciting. Including older trainers like Takuto who are experienced and wise enough to wield Pokemon of legend would also be fun to see. Satoshi losing to Takuto was very well done. It makes sense that Satoshi could not out-do a trainer at least twice his age, even if that trainer did not have legendary Pokemon. I thought Tomioka handled Satoshi being the only person to defeat Darkrai was also a nice touch. Satoshi was very clearly, if subtly, painted as the second strongest trainer in that Shin'nou League. Speaking of which, I would also like to learn more about the Champion League. Even if Satoshi isn't allowed to make it that far I think it would be interesting to introduce a rival like Virgil who wins the League and then tries to challenge the Champion League. Having another rival actually capable of toppling the Regional Champion would also be fascinating to see. What happens when someone like Adeku or Shirona is stripped of their status as League Champion? This is something I wish Advance Generation explore with Tsuwabuki Daigo and Mikuri.

Cabernet, Luke, Bel, Ke'nyan and Langley were some of my favorite parts of Best Wishes. Having them recur as they did and interact with their respective rival in the main group was a lot of fun. I would like to see that brought back, but with tighter writing. The Don Battles were a perfect platform, so if we could see a return to a smaller tournament before the League that would be swell, too. Since XY appears to be in for a longer run than Best Wishes I hope we can fit in something like the Don Battles and Pokemon World Tournament Junior Cup again. Heck, a tournament for older trainers would also be nice to see.

Combining the best of the third and fourth television series would make for a good Satoshi-starring series, I think.

That or we could always do a one cour series following Shinji defeating the Kantou Battle Frontier Brains and ending with Reiji returning to training. That would be nice! :p

I probably would keep Kanto the same as is. If I was the director, then I'll have no clue in how to actually do things at this stage.

Johto is where I start changing things. One major difference would be to show more episodes of Brock and Misty, and show their character development, and keep those episodes TRio-free. Second, I'll actually have a number of episodes where TRio would try to steal Ash and Co's Pokémon, but due to sheer bad luck, fails (getting blasted off by a wild Pokémon, or whatever) until the very last 2-3 mins of that episode. And Ash and Co will be oblivious to them! Third, everyone will be a year older (thus Ash being 11.).

Now, AG would be where I'll start changing things. First of all, I'll immediately retire TRio, with them being recalled to TR's HQ, and be forced to do some menial tasks for being such failures. Second, more episodes featuring Team Aqua/Magma. Third, introducing Brendan, Ash being promoted as a mentor while he trains to re-challenge the Kanto-Johto league, and leaving out Brock. After Brendan loses on Best 8-16 level, the three will travel to Kanto, and Ash shall re-challenge the Kanto League again (automatically qualifying due to having collected gym badges before during the Kanto/Johto saga), hopefully for a Best 4, then the Battle Frontier. Brock, Misty, and TRio will return, as well as the Kanto Gym Leaders. (Ash, Brendan, and May will all be 12.)

I will cut DP into half, and again, introduce Lucas, and take out Brock. I will have Paul as Ash's rival, and Barry as Lucas's. Paul's background will be more established, as someone who will re-challenge the Shinnoh League. Team Rocket will again stay out, and at this stage, even Ash may slightly take a back seat; there will be more episodes featuring Ash's companions and rivals. (Ash will be 13, Lucas, Dawn, and Barry will all be 10. Paul will be 14.)

After Lucas loses out on the Best 8 on the Shinnoh League, Ash will revisit Johto and join with Lyra and Khoury. Once again, Ash will be the main focus, as he'll be challenging the Kanto-Johto League again. Team Rocket will come back, and will take over the Goldenrod Radio Tower (as well as the Silph main office in Saffron, and any of its branch offices). The gym leaders from Kanto and Johto will return to help out Ash get rid of Team Rocket, and Brock, Misty, and Gary will specifically come to team up with Ash. Team Rocket will take a hit from this, with TRio being arrested, and Giovanni temporarily relocating to an unknown place. Then Ash will re-challenge the Kanto-Johto League, and win the league, and will be shortlisted for the Pokémon World Tournament in Unova. Ash will also challenge against Lorelei, but loses quite badly.

As for Unova, Ash will mentor Iris, who will be challenges the gyms. Iris will have Georgia and Trip as her rivals, Cilan will have Burgandy as his, and Ash will have a three-way rivalry with Hilda and N. Iris will be the main focus of the league mini-arc, there will be more episodes featuring Team Plasma, and the conflict with them will all come to a head with N owning the regional league, Ash and Iris battling N and Ghetsis, winning them and Ghetsis fleeing. After that Ash and Hilda would team up and chases and tracks down the New Team Plasma with the ultimate showdown at Giant Chasm to foil Ghetsis's plot to take over Unova; the focused protagonist will be on Hilda. After that Ash and Hilda reunites with all of the gym leader, from present and past, as well as Ash's former mentees, at the Pokémon World Tournament. (Ash will be the main focus in this mini-arc.) Leaf (named as Leanne/Midori), Jimmy and Marina will also be introduced into the main anime at this point, and all three will battle aginst Ash at various points. Ash will first battle against Brendan, and Lucas, and eventually reaches the climax against Gary in the Poke-Japanese division. Then he'll advance to the World division, wins against Paul and Hilda, and lose to (yet put up a good fight against) Calem in the World's Best 16. (At the start of the BW arc, Ash would be 14.5, Iris would be 9, Hilda would be 16.) Then Ash will return to Kanto to re-challenge Lorelei, and win.

For XY, perhaps no-one does the gyms for the first time. Instead, Ash and Co investigates about Team Flare, Yveltal, and Xerneas. Rivalry will be as follows: Ash-Calem, Serena-Shauna, Clemont-Trevor. (Ash will be 15, Calem will be 18, and Serena will be 13.) Once again, the PWT will be held in Kalos, and Ash will win against Calem, and move up to the World's Best 8, and lose to the 7th Generation's male player character. He will return to Kanto and challenge and win against Koga (as in HGSS Koga) for starters. Eventually, Ash will be the winner of the whole PWT, and defeat Bruno (FRLG and HGSS) and Karen (HGSS), and will have the ultimate showdown with Lance, all in time for the 25th/30th Anniversary of Pokémon.

I won't necessarily prepare an ending for the whole anime series - not until at least we know about the 7th and 8th Generations - but I do think that this would actually create a story, than what we have now...I wonder if I should write a fanfic based on the above.

Last edited:
I would never have Misty, Ash, and Brock split apart, instead they would stick together through thick and thin, meaning they would last from Kanto to whenever they stop producing episodes. Friendship is one of the main themes of the anime, after all.

I would add another series, one that would focus on a new cast. Establish a different canon like Origins did, but instead focus more on the characters.

When looking at current situation and mess pokemon abime turned into piling on number of replaced characters with unfinished stories and unused potential getting one after another, if i had authority in organizing pokemon anime for start i would stop on replacing main cast with each new generation.

I would introduce concept of stable female heroines or male protagonists who are maintained relevant to pokemon universe, story and keep on friendship with Ash and progression of their own dreams leaving long lasting impact on pokremon.

Because by replacing main characters i would be only admitting my failure as writer and creative person in managing to keep someone fresh, likable and fun in future. Therefore i would through implementation of new interests, obstacles, personality traits developed because of maturing and new twists added to protagonists life diminished this problem. Throwing new exciting and deep dimension to them coming to understanding how there is whole new side of those older characters and elements in their story we had no idea to even exist wanting to see how it will unfold out.

Keeping my viewers happy, excited and willing to continue watching and respect my work.

Direction pokemon anime should turn to is in keeping its purpose of advertizing games, because without them this show has no justification to exist. However by doing promotion through older, well established and familiar characters finding ways to gain marketing vaklue in new generation like its case for Ash, while doing sequel to their dreams, taking relationaship with Ash and other characters to deeper, more substantial level bringing new dimension to friendship as companions which have history behind themselves. And see what future holds for them going on new adventures.

That could be achieved by concept of "traveling partners exchange program".

What i mean by this is in bringing back older friends of Ash in future generations instead of new ones doing sequels. I would still introduce new characters , but i would follow principle other anime do. Ading new characters, but helping build future through older popular characters as well trying out conceot , mix of old and new. With old becoming fresh thanks to new designs, pokemon and subplots as sequel to their dreams reaching new heights in accomplishing goals.
Not making it seem like their existence and impact left on show is firgotten and done for nothing.

Such as:
See for instance May developing new style as coordinator,do steps forward toward her top coordinator goal and develop new pokemon and potential rivals.

Reveal with Misty more on her past and selfdoubts,do more with pokemon and learn new ways of unlocking their full strength(mega evolution). Trying to become some powerful water trainer apprentice(like Lorelei, Siebold or Wallace)with purpose of becoming E4 advancing water master goal seem like logical step up from current place, one of many available option to take her in new direction.

Same with Cilan for example, revealing tasks he would need to achieve in becomming S class connoisseur, do follow up on rivalry with Burgundy creating elements which would allow for some sense of closure done in future and gave insight in learning more about his past, motives and issues.
And many others.

I feel pokemon anime should be written that way and would be like this if i was in charge. Because doing it otherwise in series which still has same main star(Ash), which are set in same timeline and universe by willingly deciding to leave his traveling companions left in past forgpotten without having any future in show.

Only causes bad continuity, weakened storyline which has no sense of progression and continuation buulding on elements and vectors established in past. Along with leaving any started work about everyone who were presented in pokemon story unfinished regarding its dreams, flaws, interests and goals, never used to full potential.

Giving out presentation of someone who starts to write some book, but never bothers to deliver culmination and denuaement to narrative. Jumping on writing new book, storyline without finishing previous one.

Resulting in pile of unfinished books where one half is empty, drawing paralel to way main characters are treated in animated series.

Because anime which dont maintain strong connection to past and its characters is show with no memory or identity anymore.

Last edited:
At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, I wouldn't change anything about the anime except for one thing. I wouldn't change the characters as they appeared because, with the best will in the world, I think too much Misty or Brock, as much as I like them, would lose their charm eventually (and do remember, Brock is my favourite character).

I also wouldn't change the age. It's not neccessary for characters to age between seasons, and not doing so is not a bad thing. I mean, look at The Simpsons.

No, what I would change is the CONSISTENCY. I think that's been the biggest problem with Ash over the years (especially with BW), and frankly, I have the same problem with Team Rocket. If you begin to develop your character, there is no need to reset them. If they're beginning to take more serious actions than when they first started, keep on going that way. Same goes for the Pokemon themselves....if they begin to improve, keep them improving. Maybe a little hard with Pikachu, (since he'd probably be at Lvl 100 by now), but come on, he's practically all over the place in regards to how good he is.

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, I wouldn't change anything about the anime except for one thing. I wouldn't change the characters as they appeared because, with the best will in the world, I think too much Misty or Brock, as much as I like them, would lose their charm eventually (and do remember, Brock is my favourite character).

I also wouldn't change the age. It's not neccessary for characters to age between seasons, and not doing so is not a bad thing. I mean, look at The Simpsons.

No, what I would change is the CONSISTENCY. I think that's been the biggest problem with Ash over the years (especially with BW), and frankly, I have the same problem with Team Rocket. If you begin to develop your character, there is no need to reset them. If they're beginning to take more serious actions than when they first started, keep on going that way. Same goes for the Pokemon themselves....if they begin to improve, keep them improving. Maybe a little hard with Pikachu, (since he'd probably be at Lvl 100 by now), but come on, he's practically all over the place in regards to how good he is.

I will be bold enough and say how while most would view this with skepticism and as mistake, because they got used to current formula being hard to imagine pokemon being any different than what was served to us over past 10 years. Im of belief how even if older characters like Misty and Brock reunited with Ash at some point in future. Depending on how they were written and what kind of storyline would be produced through further continuation of their characters going on new adventures.

Pokemon series could have potential to be just as great, if not even better. If they come back at some point in later generations reuniting as cast again instead of new set of companions.

Because when i watch other anime like One Piece, Naruto, Bakugan, Fairy Tail and many others which keep same characters for hundreds of episodes still being fresh, charming and enjoyable to follow. I came to conclusion how its not so much that in animated series its impossible to have old characters as part of storyline during long period of time still catching people interest. but more lack of vision, laziness and different principles writers of pokemon series follow. Often at expense of protagonist entertainment value and their own potential to carry anime on their back alongside main star Ash.

With that line of thinking i would base my decision on excitement, twist to storyline of certain saga and someone skills, dreams he follows possibly turning out to be more beneficial for certain region plot than it would be the case with new cast variations we would had in pokemon show instead.

Balancing out game promotion and quality if story itself finding happy middle. Since Ash and TR long stay, Brock being in AG and DP proves older well popular characters can have marketing value even after no longer being in games.

For example:
For instance i would bring back Brock sometime in future rejoining Ash team, make people open toward his comeback and feel relevant again by expanding on his career of pokemon doctor he currently pursues. Traveling to doctor symposiums and meeting all kind of professional experts from who he could learn in region Ash went through. Utilize his knowledge learned from books and in laboratory by doing field work dealing with all kind of emergency situations when taking care of injured or sick pokemon without equipment you can find in pokemon center and work in control environmnt. Discover new pokemon species, herbs and potions of importance to perfect his skills and enter tournaments from time to time himelf.

By not let his battling experize and experience go to waste, but most importanty enchant on strength of his own pokemon so that he could have balaced pokemon capable of dealing with villains and regional crime organizations, wild ones to protect other pokemon attacked by them when in harm etc. Afterall it wouldn't be first time seeing pokemon medic battling. With Nurse Joy participating in tournaments to test her resourcefulness and ability to adapt to unfavorable situations(like in ultimate test from Kanto for example).

I would add more conflict to Brock character and story by introducing rival who is striving for same goal he does being doctor in training.
Challenging Brock knowledge and methods of preparing pokemon food, preparing medicines, way he heals or excercise with them. Imposing his own ways of raising pokemon, healing them and preparing more effective potions.

With Misty she was like open book by time she left mai cast with many things ending unexplored about her.
I would have her after collecting enough knowledge and increase of selfawareness at gym go on venture to improve skills and go on higher level as water specialist. Breaking new grounds with what Whirl Cup started and whole lore about water masters and sea heroes. Introducing new tournaments which continue on this serving as benchmarks through which her growth could be measured, Bringing new alternate way to utilize pokemon and have them battle(like underwater matches for example).

I would have her involved with legendary water poken she dreamed of meeting and understanding their origins and nature such as Kyogre, Manaphy and whole criosis with Team Aqua. Borrowing some ideas from manga which did this with Suicune.

Continue pursuing her dream of becoming strongest water triner in world reaching E4 position and level of respect and power her idol Lorelei has after substitute at Cerulean is found. Bringing whole new fresh way to develop Misty forward , in becoming first E4 female of water pokemon in history. Giving us insight in elite trainers, procedure they follow, new way to advance story and tasks through which pokemon and trainer can go forward battling evaluators sanctionazed by league commitee. Develop new more complex battle streategies.

Learn how to use pokemon to full potential mega evolving her Gyarados, maybe Slowbro if she catch it. Teach Psyduck how to battle, swim discovering through various experts help(E4 Siebold, Wallace, Juan etc) how to understand problems of her pokemon and their feelings developing strong bond full of understanding and team work. Struggling and feeling resentment of failing at this staggering her belief and decision to be water trainer thinking she doesn't have enough talent for this.
Through this scenario we could see writers developing story of Misty becoming Lorelei, Wallace or Siebald apprentice at current age . While later sometime in life when she grows older succeeding position from her tutor, becoming E4 member herself. Maybe in her late teens and adolescent period.

Working on becoming water master and worldwide renowned and acknowledged water expert by deaking with all kind of new challenges in Ash and potentially Brock company again sharing one more adventure together and showing how much separation affected their relationship and feelings about each other after so much time.

This are scenarios under which this two characters could be brought up in future and play relevant role in pokemon again, but i have ideas for several other replaced companions as well. depening on interactions.

Because while i understand how new characters are at times needed to bring breath of fresh air in show, im also of belief how revival of older companion can bring new life to main series and breeze of fresh air through build up on established story of fan favorite allowing us to see him taken in new, exciting directions, make more notable steps forward and enrich his characterization by exploring on various traits which we may not had chance to see explore yet, backstory and see in what way new issues, emotional growth and struggles mold them . Something that new characters can't provide being blank with no hindsight existing there.

Having pokemon anime pay attention to its roots. Previous important characters and history by making future built with their involvement and continuation of stories in future. So that previous hard work, experiences, newly developed traits and fun aspects if their personalities dont go to waste. Bringing them somewhere in end eventually. Have their impact left on Ash character and anime remembered and maintain on friendship and strong friendships between themselves.

Increasing continuity and making pokemon story feel more connected and enchanted that way imo.

Don't get me wrong, though. I think it'd be nice if Ash caught up with his old friends every now and then, rather than JUST the female companion he had the season prior.

Completely agree, especially on the last paragraph.

That's exactly my main problem with Ash, Pikachu and TRio. They have been turned into… a souless mess, IMO. A continuous seesaw in personality and skills made for the sake of promotion.

I mean, I think it is very well possible to have an interesting story which could please kids and teens alike while also promoting merchandise and the games. It's just a matter of actually working on that and broadening the target audience. I understand why they prefer to take the "easy" way and have a "soft reset" once in a while, but I think it would be more beneficial for the show (and, to an extent, for the merchandise) if they tried to keep a better continuity. In my opinion, they could still entertain newer audience even if they mixed some older stuff into the tired, overused status quo.

Also…

Don't get me wrong, though. I think it'd be nice if Ash caught up with his old friends every now and then, rather than JUST the female companion he had the season prior.

Yeah, some cameos of older characters would be nice. I hate the fact that once characters have served their purpose, they're simply thrown away like broken toys and simply "vanish". I'd like them to have some role, even in little mini-arcs. Sure, the more character are added, the more it's going to be difficult to keep them fresh and interesting, but it isn't an impossible feat. It just requires some amount of effort, which I bet producers think isn't worth it.

Anyway, that's my view of how I would like the anime, even if I don't have many issues with the actual one.

Last edited:

Yes, exactly. As XY001-02 has rightfully showed, there was no need to reset Ash's skill to preserve drama. Instead, raise the stakes accordingly: Bring in experienced trainers (XY seems to be heading in this rightful direction), being in Pokémon that are actually strong/smart, and bring in battles that can exploit that. If there's a Pokémon that Ash can't win, justify it - look up Smogon for OUs/Ubers (Korrina's Mega-Lucario), check movepools (Viola's Vivillion) and write the script featuring that as a strategy (Viola's and Grant's battle in general), show backstories etc.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom