• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How were you introduced to pokemon?

I don't know how it happened. Suddenly everyone was into pokemon. I thought "Better start too". Got pokemon Blue, but that was my sisters game, so ended up borrowing that for a while. TCG was big too, but everyone just traded cards, never playing. After a while with Gold/Silver, it just faded away. After a long while, I picked it up again, now I'm annoyed that I didn't buy any GBA games...

When I was about 10 or so the tv program came out and me and my friends loved the show and bought all the trading card stuff. I was the only one that got into the game aswell so I never had anyone to play with. It gradually faded from my life. Until last summer, at the age of 19, I was sick and in hospital and my boyfriend let me borrow his DS and I played his Diamond (not saving over his game though) I didn't turn it off for 3 days. He bought me a DS and Pearl for my birthday and I have been obsessed ever since

The first time I heard about Pokémon was back in 1997, when my local newspaper had an article about the infamous seizure incident from the, "Electric Soldier Porygon" episode. A few months later, there was a preview article about Pokémon that was featured in Wizard: The Comic Magazine.

One day, I was too sick to go to school and stayed home and watched Pokémon for the first time (the episode was, "Sparks Fly for Magnemite"). I liked the episode and decided to continue watching and on Christmas 1998 I got a Game Boy Color and in February 1999, I bought Pokémon Red (the first video game I ever bought) and loved the game and continue to enjoy Pokémon to this day.

When I was young, I got the first 3 Pokemon movies. Then I watched Johto Journeys. Then I got Sapphire. Then I got LeafGreen, and the whole thing began.

I wasn't supposed to watch tv after school, but I was a latch-key kid, so hey, that's all I did. :) Anyway, I think I caught commercials for the American debut, and it looked pretty cool. None of my friends thought it was cool, though, so I watched it "in secret". I got my first video game console in college (gamecube), so I decided to check out the games (started with XD, whoops), and got totally hooked. Since then, I've played multiple games from each gen.
Hello, I'm Jazzmoth, and I'm a Pokémon addict. :)

For the anime:

There was this after-school thing at my middle school called MASCOT. I only ever came because one of my friends went, and every day, they'd show 2 or 3 or the old Pokemon videos. I kept coming until I was out of middle school.

My brothers cashed in when I was little and bought me Red Version. After that I had an unexplained love for it. But I REALLY got involved when my dad bought me the Latias/Latios starter deck when he got home from a biusness trip. That Christmas, I got Leafgreen Version and a Gameboy SP.

I got a used GBA SP a few years ago in preparation of a very long plane ride. For whatever reason, "Blue" was included in the deal and the rest is history.

When I was in first grade, towards the end of the school year, my friend came to school with a binder filled with Pokemon cards, and I thought they were the coolest things ever. The next week, when summer vacation started, I told my mom about them, and she took me to the store to get some. I got obsessed with collecting them and had hundreds of them, when a month later my mom told me she turned on the TV and noticed that there was a Pokemon cartoon. So I sat down to watch it, and from then on Pokemon was my biggest obsession.

I got my first Game Boy when I turned six and Pokemon Red was the first video Game I ever had for it. After that I started collecting the cards, and then watching the show.

Funny enough, I read about it in my dad's Time magazine. It was the height of Pokémania and Mewtwo Strikes Back was just released, they had a pretty long article on it. My dad knew I'm very into cartoons so he let me read it. Then I realized the game my parents bought my sister to go with her new Gameboy Color was a Pokemon game. It didn't take me long to borrow the game (Pokemon Red) from my sister and try it out.

Time magazine is also responsible for introducing me to Harry Potter and getting me excited about politics. That magazine rules.

i got hooked on Pokemon by playing my cousins blue version in New york for hours and then July 7 2000 came by and i i was given a transparent purple gameboy color and yellow version. i remember getting all the way to the boat near surges gym on my first night.

My older brother had a copy of Pokémon Blue. He grew tired of it and gave it to me. This was around 1998/9. From then on, I have got a game from every pairing, but usually several months after their release in the UK. The first Pokémon game that was actually mine was Pokémon Silver, in around 2001, before Crystal came out in Britain.

It started when I was a subscriber to Nintendo Power Magazine. I recieved a VHS in the mail introducing the entire marketing scheme. I thought it was the stupidest thing ever(next to Barney or My Little Pony. Yeah, I was almost new trainer age.)

By the weeks preceeding the games though, something unexplainable had transpired in my subconcious and... Yeah. Those first two generations were huge for me.

I tried Pokèmon Ruby when it came out, but... I just didn't care. And my sister's Pearl version was equally uninspiring. It wasn't until around then that I gave Fire Red and Leaf Green a try.

Now I'm feverishly preparing for Heart Gold and Soul Silver.

I was five and over at my neighbors house. His TV was on the Kids WB and they were premiering a brand new episode: Ash's Metapod evolves into a Butterfree. I was hooked after that. Wade, Chris, Spencer, Todd and I were the pokemon trainers of the street. Ah, good times.

I moved the year after and discovered the games. I restarted like five times a day.

The cards I discovered from Wade. A friend of my family who lived in Eastern WA worked for Wizard and got me free a bunch of new cards all the time. Then they burned. I miss them.

My older brother's friend had come over and he had Pokemon Blue. I was 5 at the time, couldn't totally read and wasn't really interested, however my brother was. So a little later I had tripped playing outside and cut my head. It wasn't bad but it did require stitches. However, at the time I was so scared so my mom promised to buy me a Gamboy Color if I went through with it and my brother made me get the game and I have been hooked ever since.

^ that has got to be the most interesting tale here. Adn the most unusual.

I think I was in the 5th grade or so, and I had wanted a Game Boy for quite some time. I was given a Game Boy Color as a birthday present, and Blue was given to me with it.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom