• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview HZ010: With Nemo and Colza

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to see that Yusuke Oshida has become a animation director recently. Yusuke's been one of the most promising new animators that joined Journeys and that also means this should have some cool action animation with him on board.

Not entirely sure where CuteSylveon42 got this title from but they posted in on Bulbapedia so am using it as my source

Set to air June 2

If Liko or Roy is going to do a battle against Nemona, and if Liko or Roy is going to do a battle against Brassius and get a Badge like Ash did.
What are they going to do?

Looks like Liko and Roy will be staying in Paldea for at least a couple of episodes, considering Brassius and Nemona will be appearing here. I wonder if this episode will be to introduce Liko and Roy to gyms, and if so, maybe they'll decide to try some out, not just in Paldea, but all over the world as they travel.

Looks like Liko and Roy will be staying in Paldea for at least a couple of episodes, considering Brassius and Nemona will be appearing here. I wonder if this episode will be to introduce Liko and Roy to gyms, and if so, maybe they'll decide to try some out, not just in Paldea, but all over the world as they travel.
I'm not thinking that there will be any Gym battles at all. They just don't fit in a world traveling saga.

Then why was Brassius introduced at all?
His appearance may mean that fights in gyms will take place after all.
We got some Gym Leaders like Bea, Allister, Opal, Piers, and Raihan in Journeys even though there were no Gym battles. The Paldean Gym Leaders could appear in different roles.

Then why was Brassius introduced at all?
His appearance may mean that fights in gyms will take place after all.
AND Nemona who is a very prominent character in Victory Road's story. It doesn't confirm anything, but it opens the possibility. Either way though, knowing this user, I'm sure they'll just cause an endless argument founded on baseless claims they take as fact and will ignore the reasoning of everyone else.

Last edited:
Gyms can only work if the saga is specifically focused on a single region. Doing a Gym quest in a multi-region saga would just place too much of the focus on one region and neglect the others. I think that they're gonna do something like the PWC instead (but not exactly like the PWC).

Like I said before. they can easily have Liko and Roy challenge the Paldea gym leaders to fights outside of the context of the gym challenge or anything. They aren't fighting them to complete the Paldea gyms and become champions, they just fight them as training and they happen to be gym leaders also.

Gyms can only work if the saga is specifically focused on a single region. Doing a Gym quest in a multi-region saga would just place too much of the focus on one region and neglect the others. I think that they're gonna do something like the PWC instead (but not exactly like the PWC).
Given that the focus would be on Paldea, the newest region full of new Pokemon and characters, I don't really see the problem with neglecting the other regions in favor of Paldea. Outside of Galar, all of the other regions have been featured throughout the previous different series. I'd rather see them give extra special attention to Paldea instead of repeating the same mistakes they did with Galar in Journeys. They can still travel around different regions while doing a badge quest in theory at least. I don't think the badge quest can only work if they're set in a single region for one series. They can travel to one location to do a Gym battle and then travel around some other locations in different regions before going to the next Gym in Paldea. It wouldn't be hard. It would be a way to give the characters time to train in-between matches and potentially flesh out more locations in different regions.

That being said, I don't have much hope for them to do the Paldea Gyms at this point. I would be happy if they did return to the Gym badge quest. At this point, it would feel refreshing to have a badge quest when they skipped out on the Galar Gyms. They technically still adapted the Island Challenge in SM, even if it was done poorly, and those were the Alolan version of Gyms, so Journeys was the only time so far that they didn't adapt Gyms or the stand-in for Gyms in the main series. Given that we have new leads, it would be upsetting if we still couldn't have Gym battles, especially when the Gym quest is seemingly the only way for the writers to showcase all Gym Leaders. The fact that we had a world wide tournament in Journeys with everyone wanting to defeat Leon and we didn't get appearances from all of the Galar Gym Leaders or have Ash battle them in the PWC is beyond frustrating to me.

The main reasons why I don't think that they'll do Gyms really comes down to how they've been coy about Liko and Roy's goals. Liko is still searching for her goal and I still don't think she'll be that into battling either. I'm not saying she isn't going to battle. She obviously already has, but I don't think that they'll make her into a battler when they haven't been interested in battle active female leads in ages. Yes, she's the new lead, but even with that in mind, I don't see her being that into battling. I could be wrong and Nemona is going to encourage her into giving battles a chance. That would be neat, but I'm not putting money on that yet. Roy wanting to challenge Legendary Pokemon would potentially make him a better fit for Gyms, but when Liko has been getting more focus and being more prominent among the promotional images, I'm not sure about them using Roy for the Gym quest instead either. It would make me prety happy to see Fuecoco taking on Gym Leaders though.

I am still happy about Nemona and Brassius appearing this early on in the series. Both Hop and Hau were handled so poorly. Hau was just thrown in to showcase Rowlet's evolutions and I'm almost positive that they just threw in Hop at the last minute just so that Ash and Goh had someone else to talk to between the matches. As much as I love Hop, I have no idea why they bothered to include him by that point in the series, especially when he never got to interact with Leon on-screen as far as I know. While I think Arven is my favorite of the Scarlet/Violet trio, I really like Nemona too. She's a fun character, the only one of the three that actually feels like a rival and I found her to be pretty endearing. Her brief sidequest at the end of the post game storyline also made me like her even more. It really put her focus on battling in a different light. I'm glad that she is going to appear in Horizons and hopefully being featured this early on will make her feel less tacked on compared to some of the past few rivals from the games. It is sad that Ash may not get to meet Nemona though. Throughout the games, Nemona often felt like a female version of Ash with how into battling she is and I could see them becoming great friends with their similar energy levels in mind. Maybe that can still happen down the road.

Brassius appearing is also pretty neat just so that the Paldea Gym Leaders aren't going to be ignored. I'd be happy if they did do the Gym badge quest, but battling Paldea Gym Leaders as a means of training would be fine too. Honestly, getting to see each Paldea Gym Leader and giving them a focus episode would be at least a step up from how the Galar Gym Leaders were largely shafted.

What kind of an argument is this anyway?
Just because something happened in the previous series doesn't mean it won't change.
Anime has already broken some traditions.
They've been leading heavily into gender stereotypes starting in XY. The female leads got in less battles than before and were only given Pokemon that were stereotypically cute and feminine. I'm not sure if they're gonna change that.

I THINK?

The starter and Pawmi were definitely new captures, but I recall her mentioning having stronger Pokemon she eventually brings out?[i/spoiler]
I recall there being a line after your final battle against her in the post game about battling you again with her "other team" or something to that effect. So the team you fight is completely seperate.

I recall there being a line after your final battle against her in the post game about battling you again with her "other team" or something to that effect. So the team you fight is completely seperate.
Yeah, I think she does. At the same time, actually thinking about it, she managed to clear the Champion Assessment and earned the Champion rank before you begin your journey, so it makes sense she has that other team.

What kind of an argument is this anyway?
Just because something happened in the previous series doesn't mean it won't change.
Anime has already broken some traditions.
I'm not talking about a tradition. Traditions and patterns in the anime would be something more like Ash getting the early route bird or the new female lead getting the Pikachu clone of the generation. I'm talking about how the female characters have been written for the past few series. They've still battled given that's a major aspect of the franchise, but I wouldn't call the past few female leads battlers or that they had battle active goals. That has been something they've largely avoided for years, so it feels less like a pattern or a tradition and more like they aren't interested in having more battle active female characters in the cast. I'm not saying that it won't happen just because of what happened in the past. I am saying that I have my doubts about them making Liko more battle active or into traditional battling. And it isn't just because of what has happened in the past, although that's a key part of it. Given that she's going to be searching for a goal with Sprigatitio, I imagine that they'll probably take awhile to find it too. If she was going to go after Gyms, as cool as that would be, I feel like they would have mentioned that in the promotional material or at least not have her be unsure about her goal initially if she was going to find it that quickly.

They've been leading heavily into gender stereotypes starting in XY. The female leads got in less battles than before and were only given Pokemon that were stereotypically cute and feminine. I'm not sure if they're gonna change that.
To be fair, the female leads having typically cute and feminine Pokemon has largely been a thing since the beginning. Sometimes they'd get Pokemon that weren't traditionally cute and feminine, but for the most part, that was the kind of Pokemon the female leads would get. That would describe most of May and Dawn's Pokemon too, so that didn't start with XY.

I haven't played S/V, but isn't she even training a new team in the game despite already having a more powerful one?
Nemona is a Champion ranked trainer in the games when you first meet her, so she does have other Pokemon. I always assumed all of the Pokemon she uses in the storyline were new captures given that they're generally around the levels that the player character's team would be at as well.

Say the same to Iris, Bea, Marnie, Visquez, Cynthia, and Diantha, who not only were involved in battles, but also didn't have cute Pokemon.

Say the same to Iris, Bea, Marnie, Visquez, Cynthia, and Diantha, who not only were involved in battles, but also didn't have cute Pokemon.
It depends on what you count as a "lead", I assume the definition they meant means Iris is the only one there who counts. (Also most of those had atleast 1 Pokemon you could concider "cute")
Edit: And even then the Iris that would count (Journeys) isnt a "lead" at that point.

I think that's missing the point when we're talking about the female leads. Not to mention most of these trainers would still have Pokemon that are considered traditionally cute. Even when Iris was the main female lead of BW, she still had Axew and Emolga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom