• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

I Don't Catch Them All

Discover

Reaction score
I've been a huge fan of Poke'mon since the beginning, but I never really had the desire to capture every poke'mon. I mean, I'll capture them when I find one I think is cool-looking, or maybe could be useful, but I never thought I had to capture all of them.

Simply, I play for fun, and when I collect the eight badges and defeat the Elite Four, I feel like I completed the game. Does anyone else feel that way? Please, share your thoughts/opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Playing for the Enjoyment

I feel kind of similar. I don't feel the need to catch every Pokemon, I just like completing the storyline, and post game storyline, as then I feel like I've accomplished a lot. I also enjoy it, but trying to catch every Pokemon would just take so long, and be boring and tedious. For me.

I feel the same way. I just play the games to have fun.

I prefer playing somewhat more competitively, catching the most Pokémon as possible, completing side-quests, getting all the items...
Now that I started playing Platinum, I'll most likely try to win first place in the Contests too. That's how I like to play.

I play just to beat it in a low time, while having fun along the way.

MP is good too in real life, wifi isn't as good as playing with people in real life.

I don't play competitively or care about finishing the Pokedex, I just play for pure enjoyment.

I used to just play it through to the Elite Four, but after getting Soul Silver I started playing it on my commute (1 hour there and 1 hour back on the bus = plenty of gaming time). It actually kept me sane and I didn’t want to ‘complete’ the game, I wanted to keep going – so I played through all the others and, in doing so, was able to complete my pokedex. I have a car now, so I don’t think I would do it again (well, I’ll try in B&W since I’ll pretty much just have to complete the Unova dex, save for pre-evolved forms), but if you’ve got the time to do it then it’s pretty fun anyway. Very satisfying.

But yeah, still, my fun is pretty much from in-game only. I wouldn’t mind getting into competitive battling but it is such a minefield – so many well-known tactics have developed over the years and it’s difficult to know where to start. I prefer to retreat to my game where I am always the best (the CPUs said so!).

Same. I play for enjoyment. I only catch pokemon that I want, and if there is none I want, I stock up on repel.

After I beat the Elite Four, I usually just call it a game.

doesn't everyone play for fun?

i enjoy breeding (especially shiny pokemon with cool egg moves) & i'm really looking forwards to random wifi battles in black/white - i used to play PBR random battles a lot but it's a bit unsociable taking the living room TV when my missus wants to watch mind-numbing crap her stuff

Sorry for the late reply. After I started this thread, I had to go to my grandparent's house.

Anyway, I'm actually surprised that there are some people, if not more, that feel the same that I do. I started this thread, because my friends that love Poke'mon as I do always tell me that I should do that EV training, and start trading with them. I don't know, I never had a desire to do all that. I mean, I'll trade with them, but they only want to trade with someone who does that EV training. Go figure.

Anyway, with the new Generation quickly approaching, I'm finding myself actually wanting to at least try to capture every new poke'mon. Does anyone else feel that way?

I play competitively. Why? Because I enjoy it.

I enjoy raising Pokémon that I like, simply liking the feeling of achievement. Recently I look for interesting egg move combos and try to breed them (some really take more than a couple breeding). It's fun for me.

While I don't do competitive battling much, it does sound fun.

I play competitively. Why? Because I enjoy it.

After reading your post, I've decided to have the topic changed to "I Don't Catch Them All". I'll send a PM to someone who can change it for me, since I don't think I have that ability.

I like both. Competetive battling is fun and in-game is fun too.

I'm curious, what's your team when you play competitively?

Last edited:

I'll send a PM to someone who can change it for me, since I don't think I have that ability.

hit "Edit" then "Go Advanced" dude you can change the title from there

as for completing the pokedex... only in platinum but i'll do it again in black/white (well, maybe just white)

i like the way the games have so much to do so there's something to cater for pretty much anyone's tastes

That's how I am with my GBA games. Since I can't get all of the pokemon on them. On platinum I just tried to get about 10 really good pokemon until I beat the e4. After I beat the e4 and completed the post-game (except for the entire battle frontier) I started trying to catch more pokemon and battle people over wifi. I've had platinum since April of 2009 and I still have yet to get all the pokemon. I've seen 403 of them. That's really my goal. To see all of them. I can't catch them all. Well, I guess I could, but it's not really what I want to do. What I really want to do is get every single battle frontier symbols. Then I'll feel like I've finished the game.

There was a time when I felt I could only finish the game by catching 'em all in every main series game released stateside.

But with my Gen I and II games beginning to die, that is no longer possible.

So now I feel I can only finish the game by catching 'em all in Gen III onwards. Add on top of this the gym badges, contest ribbons, frontier commemoration and the like....it's going to take a while.

I managed to get all 493 mons on Diamond purely by accident. I used to trade A LOT so my Dex filled up without me noticing. But yeah, I couldn't care less about the Dex, I beat the game's storyline and the E4 ASAP and start training competitive mons.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom