• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

I have a question to ask you guys

AlexK2013

Creative Co-Author
Reaction score
What do you think would make good crossovers? All I want on this topic I'm creating is your opinion on what would make a good crossover, and a thread I created a few moments ago was closed because I was flaming and baiting on it, and I don't want to do anymore of that tonight! :mad: *calms down* and do keep in mind that there are millions of combinations for crossovers, please.

It's really all in someones taste. I for one, don't give crossover suggestions because it's really in the writers opinion what is a good crossover idea or not. Pokemon and Yugioh might be a fantastic crossover to some, and a terrible idea to others.

i like lots of anime and hand in hand with that comes enough imaginary crossovers that any author would call a gold mine.
But i digress it still comes down to opinion i personaly like Tengen toppaa Gurren Lagun, Fairy Tail, Pokemon, one piece (the manga) and of course everyone's favourite Naruto (the manga) i would like to see a cross over with one of these series but..... Wait, What!? what do you mean you'll cross them all over (har har har) [sorry]

I am merely asking for your opinion on what would make good crossovers.

also Teleroboxer/Naruto X-over

Naruto kicking major butt in the Teleroboxing scene!

M:tG and Pokemon could be interesting. Trainers could be Planeswalkers, and the regions could be the different planes!!!1!!!

*cricket chirp*

Maybe not...

NEON GENESIS EVANGELION.

Lol, not really, it would be very interesting but I don't think it would work that well.

What I do think would be a great and fitting crossover: Mother 1 and 2. I haven't fully played Earthbound, but both series were worked on by Creatures Inc. They have many similarities. Both of them seem very light on the surface but underneath there is mysterious depth and sometimes horror - like the paralells between Giygas and Mewtwo.

Sailor Moon+Pokemon?

There are several ways you can interpret this:

--Sailors get Pokemon
--Pokemon cast turns into superheroes
--Both casts meet

I think this has actually been done quite a few times before, check ff.net.

I am merely asking for your opinion on what would make good crossovers.

also Teleroboxer/Naruto X-over

Naruto kicking major butt in the Teleroboxing scene!
if that's the case then defiantly ttgl x pokemon
ash gets a gunamn! thats speaks for its self "as long as it's another lagun)

A good crossover (doesn't matter you double-cross or multi-cross) must have the following criteria:

1. They must contain major similarities in the works. This is mostly the background settings. Examples will be: Pokemon, Digimon, or Yu-gi-oh, where they all have a human character commanding monster(s) to fight/battle. For other non-pokemon ones, I would say Fafner in the Azure and Gundam SEED, where they both have the background setting of genetically engineered children piloting robots to engage in wars. Another one I would say is Digimon with Rockman EXE series, where both have stage settings in the network cyberspace.
I don't know how many of you guys play games, but the most successful crossover game in Japan is the Super Robots War series, where it crosses many robot animes into one gigantic but well-flowed story plot.

2. The genre of the works must be similiar. Mecha anime is best to cross with another mecha anime, documentary anime is best to cross with documentary anime, and adventure anime is best to cross with adventure anime.
If you are trying to cross an adventure anime with, say sport anime, then it is just like mixing water with oil, they will just remain separate no matter how much you shake it, or even blend with a blender.
Please note that because a canon work may contain more than one genre, so the point in here is the first primary major genre should be similar. E.g. the anime Kannatsuki no Miko is an anime of both romance and mecha, but romance is the major, where mecha is the back-burner.

3. The amount of works of the two (or more) canons should balanced out, It should not specifically centric around one canon among all the canon you use, but average them out. This includes amount of characters of each canon, amount of scenes, the amount of POV from each canon, etc.
The best is to balance out these amount of differences. The best ratio is of course 50:50, but 40:60 should also be fine, 30:70 is on the borderline. Below this limit will not be good.
If you merely have a character from Canon A involved in the world of Canon B, then 90~99% of the story will just basically centric around Canon B, with only the difference of the situation of "if a character from another world be this...".

4. Crossover fic has three types: first is "if character(s) from Canon A suddenly transported to world of Canon B", second is "if world of Canon A suddenly merge into world of Canon B", and third is the world of Canon A merge mutual in world of Canon B into one single harmonized world right from the start.
Usually, the 1st one has the viewpoints of two different canons remain separate, or even mutually exclusive. For the 2nd one, the POV of two different canons are mutually exclusive at the beginning, but will eventually become one at the end. For the 3rd one, viewpoints of two difference canons are dissolved into each other, so they are mutually synchronized.
The 1st one and 2nd one are the general selections for the crossover "beginners", which is easy to start with. The 3rd one will be difficult, as you need to link/bridge the view of one canon into another canon, but oppositely it will also be more interesting than the 1st and 2nd one. You may try the 3rd type if you are deep into the canons you works with, such that you know where to bridge the two canons.

If you are trying to cross two canon works without much major similarities, then the fanfic itself will just turn out to be very absurd, which is not recommended. The quality of the story itself will also become questionable.
In my personal viewpoint, I think crossing Sailor Moon with Pokemon is really a VERY bad idea. They just don't have much similarities. The enemies they fight against are just fundamentally different, the way how they battle are just fundamentally different, the strategies to be used in the battle are just fundamentally different, and moreover, I don't think Tsukino Usagi will command a monster to battle for herself, remember she is a fighter on her own. So basically, these two canon just have no similarity right from the start.

P.S. I'm working on a Pokemon x Digimon crossover fic. I found it very easy because they have many similarities.

Last edited:
@Kayi-chan for the opinion part, wondering
for the Gundam/Star Was crossover

imagine this: during a battle between the Earth Federation and the Zeon forces, a Gelgoog pilot disappears into a galaxy far far away, and gets himself involved with another war, that between the Galactic Empire and the Rebel Alliance. the Gelgoog pilot joins the Rebels and now must fight for freedom, as well as trying to harness the capabilities of his MS-14A Gelgoog.

imagine this: during a battle between the Earth Federation and the Zeon forces, a Gelgoog pilot disappears into a galaxy far far away, and gets himself involved with another war, that between the Galactic Empire and the Rebel Alliance. the Gelgoog pilot joins the Rebels and now must fight for freedom, as well as trying to harness the capabilities of his MS-14A Gelgoog.

So, the majority is Star Wars, with only one single pilot from Zeon of Gundam involved in the War featured in Star Wars?
The crossover itself is not bad, because the two canon works are similar. But, this will then turns out to be simply a pilot from another universe piloting one single giant humanoid machine becoming hero of the Star Wars. The story of this fic itself is then 90% major in Star Wars. In such case, there is not really big necessity to cross. You can rather have the idea of the Rebels invented a giant humanoid machine, which they used by all people in the Rebels. This might be much better than having one single "alien" from alternative universe be the hero.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom