• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

i think I was spoiled...

For me personally, i found FR/LG to be one of my favorite games of all time. I started in the fandom with Gold, so when i got FireRed after, it helped me a bunch to actually see what had gone down before G/S/C and made me appreciate the story in Gold that much more, though i will agree that the story is somewhat bare bones, but for someone who hasn't played the real originals, it gives them a taste of what they missed, and i mean, isn't that the real reason anyone would even bother going back to play them in order?

But ya, look forward to Platinum as it was 1000x better than most pokemon games i had played. There's just so much to do, especially in the after-game :) And to me HG/SS seemed to be somewhat on par with Platinum game-play wise, though Pt takes the cake for story imo. And like FR/LG i think you may find Emerald a tad bare bones at some points.

You might not agree with me here or even think this is important, but I think that FireRed/LeafGreen had the worst music out of all the main series Pokemon games. That in itself was enough to deter me from coming back to them. After 5th gen, I think Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald have the best music, so you may want to try Emerald (or wait for Ruby/Sapphire remakes if we get them).

I don't see why music would matter so much, I have played with the sound off for as long as I can remember.

I can see why you would find disappointment in Firered after having played White, I agree Black/White have the most amazing storyline and villainous team in pokemon history. Which is exactly why it may not be an advisable choice for a beginner; since afterward down is the only way to go. The thing with the main pokemon series is that with each new generation, the games improved, in graphics, in storyline, and only opinion can say but perhaps even difficulty. So to start with the newest would be like listening to an MP3 player, than a CD, than a cassette, than a record, than an 8-track. You're demoting yourself.

It was only with Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum which are only a few years old, that the story lines began to get more involved and in my personal opinion interesting. Story lines begun period with Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald. Thus these might be the choices for you after having experienced white first.

Not to be disrespectful but I think the older games and especially their remakes can only really be fully appreciated by the older fans who begun with them. Kind of what Magelief was saying. Like how I don't really care about records but one who grew up in the 70's(thus in the time of records) is more likely to love them, maybe even have a vintage collection.

So yeah, Diamond, Pearl, Platinum or Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald are the best choices for someone in your position.

Actually, R/S/E events happen at the same time as FR/LG and D/P/Pt with HG/SS so that leaves B/W either the latest events (Most probably) or happening alongside Gen III (although some hints disagree with this idea such as the retired Rocket grunt and Cynthia)

Actually, R/S/E events happen at the same time as FR/LG and D/P/Pt with HG/SS so that leaves B/W either the latest events (Most probably) or happening alongside Gen III (although some hints disagree with this idea such as the retired Rocket grunt and Cynthia)

I'd also think it's after Platinum because of Looker. it doesnt have to be long after it, though. he could have just come over once team galactic was stopped, while the player from Platinum replaced Cynthia while she is in Unova

Actually, I've observed a pretty even escalation in plot. First (RGBY) it was a simple badge-adventure with TR running around (who didn't have a very organized plot). The second generation (GSC) built on this while adding deeper character interactions (your Rival's development and your team-up with Lance) and continuing the plot a bit even after beating the League. Third generation (RSE) had similar character interactions with an actual plot to act as a backbone to the story, and even had two equally immoral Teams fighting over their spotlight - a significant jump plotwise. The next set (DPPt) introduced a team with more thoroughly-planned operations and an even loftier goal while bringing back post-credits objectives, and by the time of the current games, the non-badge plot had taken over to be one of the driving forces behind the game. Remakes have since expanded briefly on their respective original games, but not enough to move up their respective slots in game progression. Still, though this might be my fondness for them speaking, the older, simpler games have their own charm to them. They don't need a complex story: it's just you and your team traveling the land, beating down some thieves wherever they may pop up. You aren't driven forward out of necessity, but because you personally want to get better and beat the League. It's more about your own development, and focuses on the game's core aspect of training your team. They may not be as plot-heavy, but there's another reason to enjoy them right there - the same reason why most of us don't start new save files until we're sure our party is safe elsewhere.

Short version: The older games are simpler, but that doesn't make them bad.

Playing fire red and emerald via emulator
You are an awful person for doing so and will go to gamer hell. :nono: Also, I can tell you from personal experience that the mere mention of ROMs, emulators, and the like will get you reprimanded.
That's a great remix, but there's nothing quite like the original.
I agree completely. Call it nostalgia goggles (or earmuffs in this case), but all the music and sounds after Gen II just sound way too complex and random. They're hardly melodic, the best parts of the classic music are muffled, and the strangest sounds just irk me. Same goes for the Pokemon cries. Many cries just sounds like random sound effects, like dripping water, leaves rustling, and other nonsensical sounds. At least you could determine that the buzzes and screeches of the 8-bit cries were animalistic sounds.

lol I think I may be the only one who thinks RBY had the best story out of any pokemon game. More in that it wasn't there than being better really though. The hoenn games and sinnoh games had much more complex stories to be sure, but they all felt like bad fluff to me.

I'm actually currently playing through both ruby and diamond in my first attempt to make a complete pokedex(minus event mons.) and the hardest part is dealing with the story aspects of the games, every cutscene makes me want to just save and turn the game off. I never feel that way while playing one of the kanto games. The story in the kanto games is basically there to point you in the right direction and give you a laugh from time to time. This is just my personal opinion though, I not only understand that many people like the stories(platinum in particular seems to get a lot of praise) but am rather happy about it. I would much rather gamefreak make something that is not to my taste but the fandom as a whole enjoys than the entire fandom be let down by their decisions.

On the subject of black/white however I have a much different opinion of its story than the hoenn/sinnoh games. Black/White actually addressed something I used to laugh about with my friends when I was a kid and Red/Blue was teaching us the fine art of making monsters battle for you. Is it really morally alright for us to pit these creatures who are proven to be intelligent and we claim to be our friends against each other in combat? Granted they did back out of that story and use a "evil man wants to take your pokemon" one but still, it was enough to catch my interest(even if it did let me down later) and helped make black/white more of a phenomenal addition to the franchise. If they continue with that kind of thinking I may come to agree with the idea of putting an in-depth story in a pokemon game.

While I don't deny the nostalgia effect(I actually wish I had a signature picture that had my kanto 6 team with something like "kanto: Because back then I didn't have to pay bills" in it xD) I do however deny the idea that the nostalgia effect is the only thing that makes people prefer those games. The stories in the newer games for the most part have only detracted from the experience for me. i feel the same way about a lot of games outside the pokemon franchise as well (The zelda franchise comes to mind here).

Just to add to my wall of text here I have a suggestion for anyone who is playing the older games after playing the newer ones(and enjoying all of the extra stuff that just seems to get in my way) think of it like an extended end-game to your main cart(this is of course assuming your using the remakes so it's all gen 3 and on). If you own a ds lite the pokemon games from gen 3 all the way up until black and white can be combined into one big experience. I actually get use out of my copies of ruby and diamond now that I think of them as additions to my SS/B carts.

UPDATE: I got a used DS Lite, and picked up a copy of the GBA cartridge of emerald, so im playing that legit now! I've finished Soul Silver - LOVED IT such an epic game, also Finished Platinum and bought and finished Black! Currently I'm, playing Black doing extra stuff, and I just beat the 7th gym in Emerald.
Such great games!

HGSS ARE THE BEST PKMN GAMES EVER!!!
and here my reasons:
1. 16 gyms and a ridiculously hard boss, lasts longer
2. map isnt complex, you almost always know which town to go to next(in johto, anyway)(im looking at you, Sinnoh)
3. black just feels dark and evil because of its plotline. It doesn't feel like pokémon to me
4. Pokéathlon trumps all other contests/musicals
5. Black doesn't have a battle frontier
6. the largest regional pokédex of any game
LG may have been boring, but give hg a try, at least!

(Yes, i accent my é in the word pokémon.)

I'm currently replaying all the Pokemon games, and I'm on LeafGreen at the moment. Yes, it's not as compact as the other games, but it still an accurate remake and has a lot of extra content.

HGSS ARE THE BEST PKMN GAMES EVER!!!
and here my reasons:
1. 16 gyms and a ridiculously hard boss, lasts longer
2. map isnt complex, you almost always know which town to go to next(in johto, anyway)(im looking at you, Sinnoh)
3. black just feels dark and evil because of its plotline. It doesn't feel like pokémon to me
4. Pokéathlon trumps all other contests/musicals
5. Black doesn't have a battle frontier
6. the largest regional pokédex of any game
LG may have been boring, but give hg a try, at least!

(Yes, i accent my é in the word pokémon.)

Actually, you only think it's the best game due to personal belief. Other people might not feel the same way about HGSS.

Everyone has their own opinion on what the best set of games is and they all have their own valid reasons on why.

I'm currently looking to buy the RSE and FireRed again as well as Diamond and Platinum. I want to play the Hoenn games again in preparation for the remakes and FireRed's just so i'll have the set I guess. I never played Platinum, but i've heard its supposedly the best of the series so I feel the need to play it and judge it for myself.

Same goes for the Pokemon cries. Many cries just sounds like random sound effects, like dripping water, leaves rustling, and other nonsensical sounds. At least you could determine that the buzzes and screeches of the 8-bit cries were animalistic sounds.
Not really,the older cries sounded like electronic beeps.Also,Starly's cry is a very accurate portrayal of a bird's chirping.

Nothing beats BW1 in terms of plot sadly, but there are several games which are better in other areas. My favorite is Platinum, which has a ton of content and a fairly diverse selection of Pokemon.

Replaying Blue, the thing I think I've really been spoiled for now is the presence of the EXP bar and the caught Pokémon symbol in wild battles. It's so annoying to have to keep checking the status screen to see if the Pokémon is close to leveling up yet.

It's not so much spoiling considering the games lacked conventions which the developers later decided were important to include to keep the flow of gameplay going nicely. B/W had my favourite plotline by far, until ORAS came out. OP probably doesn't swing by anymore, but X/Y and ORAS really are starting to make me feel that much more involved in the Pokemon continuity and I'd definitely recommend them.

Generation IV games spoiled me with powerful moves and physical/special split,so it's tough for me to replay any of the games released before it.

Honestly, I thought BW was really boring. The gameplay was linear and I didn't find any of the locations interesting (except that one town with water everywhere).

The story I can't stand because it makes no sense when you break it down, and the dialogue was really, really bad. I know some people like stories like that but to me it just feels like they're trying to appeal to a demographic and not trying to do their own thing. If I had a nickel for every story that involved a abusive non-parent raising a youth for some diabolical plan I'd be rich. Also, a castle under the Pokemon League Headquarters, seriously?

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom