• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

I was sooo close

Johtoman 2

Reaction score
This is in no way a lie. When I was sat at home, bored out of my head, I was busy thinking of names for the Turtwig line of evos (it wasn't called Turtwig then, though) and I came up with this:

Tortwig-Tortoise and Twig-Only one letter off the actual name-Turtwig.
Torbranch-Tortoise and branch-Miles off actual name-Grotle
Terratree-Terrapin and Tree-Not far from actual name-Terrator.

So, what do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's Torterra actually, from tortoise and terra. I've guessed some names before too, Kingdra, Porygon2 and other various easy ones :p. Those were pretty good guesses. Mine usually suck, except of course for the obvious ones.

I remember once, before GS came out, I saw this 3D model someone had made of Kingdra. Of course, not knowing of anywhere that could confirm that Seadra was going to evolve, I just assumed it myself. Then I got a Japanese Neo Genesis booster and got a Kingdra, pow, proved it right away.

Names, eh, I'm not much for that. Though I did figure that Pachirisu would stay the same, like Plusle (sorta), Minun, Pichu, Pikachu, and Raichu.

Neat. I didn't know Kingdra evolved for years. Still, anybody got any guesses for other D/P names, have they giveb Togekissu a US name yet? If it isn't Togekiss then they're stupid. What about that male version of Gardevoir? I can't remember the name.

They haven't given either of them an English name yet, but since the rest of the Togepi line stuck with the Japanese names, I'd bet Togekiss is what it'll be.

And as for Erlade, I'll bet it'll be known as Elblade.

I actually drew Azurill and something dangerously similar to Wynaut a few years before their respective premieres. I don't take credit for Azurill anymore since I drew it after seeing a similar mock-up on a website, and so who knows...?

But my Wynaut? Aside from the fact he has more pawlike feet and tiny Kirby-like hands, it's mostly identical.

Names, however, I've never been good at. I did guess a Hoenn one that came totally out of left field, but now I don't remember which it was.

A few weeks before DP came out, when Subomi's name (no image was revealed) I thought it was an alt-evo of Weepingbell...and made a freaky-Venus Flytrap simmilar to Carnivine. XD

So what, I guessed Kricketune PRESCISELY as it is

So there *pokes tongue out*

Very nice. I wouldn't have guessed such names, even if I was bored out of my mind.

i remember back in the day when everyone thought Marill was gonna be Pikablu and Snubble was gonna be Bruno

When was Pikablu ever official? I remember it and Bruno, though.

I guessed Palkia right
emot-v.gif

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom